Prey 2 Is Trapped "In Limbo"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Prey 2 Is Trapped "In Limbo"

Human Head says Prey 2 is not canceled, but what exactly it is remains a bit hazy.

The fate of Prey 2 is one of life's great mysteries, assuming you spend a significant portion of your life obsessing over what's going on with Prey 2. If you don't, then it's probably just something you wonder about for a few seconds every time the topic comes up on your favorite gaming site. It's not canceled [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116867-Rumor-Contract-Dispute-Halted-Prey-2-Development]; the truth is that at this stage, nobody knows what's actually going on except presumably the good folks and Bethesda and Human Head. And according to them - specifically, according to Human Head Designer Nathan Cheever - the game is in limbo.

"Prey 1 = Indians in Space. Prey 2 = Cowboys in Space. (#Prey2)," he wrote today on Twitter. "btw, P2 hasn't been officially canceled, only in limbo."

Good news! Or perhaps I should say, good news? It's great that it isn't flat-out canceled, but I have no idea what "in limbo" means. I get the idea, obviously, but "work is not progressing and the future of the game is completely up in the air" isn't exactly a cause for celebration among fans.

Bethesda, for its part, declined to clarify the situation further, telling Kotaku, "We don't have any additional information to share on the status of Prey 2." Cheever also noted that this isn't actually anything new, saying in a later tweet, "Bethesda already stated Prey 2 was on hold due to 'quality reasons'." Even so, it's nice to have confirmation that nearly a year after Human Head reportedly stopped working on it, we're as clueless about what's going on with this thing as ever.

Source: Kotaku [https://twitter.com/NathanCheever/status/257843201396838400]

Bindal

May 14, 2012
How about we DON'T act surprised and simply assume that it is part of the series that the next Prey is simply "in limbo" for unknown time to just suddenly appear again and come out when nobody expects it?
Worked for the first game, maybe the sequel will do the same...

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
This game looked really cool, even to somebody that only played the demo of the first. I hope it comes out.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
It took 11 years for the first Prey to come out from conception to release, but I guess you could blame that on it being a 3D Realms thing. I loved Prey, it was an interesting premise and actually made use of the awful Quake 4 engine quite well. I kinda...gave up hope on the sequel by this point, one of those "when/if it comes out I'll be delightfully surprised" deals. Hopefully they don't Duke Nukem Forever themselves with engine changes and publisher/developer flipping and all that.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I really liked the trailers. They showed me a world I would instantly love and a premise that was both interesting and open ended, it's probably just a weird funding issue or maybe the game they delivered was so bad and buggy even Bethesda said no.

Either way eventually some kind of leaked half restored version will reach the internet.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I take issue with that headline. I played all the way through Limbo and I didn't see a trace of Prey 2.

*ba dum tsh* [http://instantrimshot.com/]

This is what happens when you try to frame a sequel around a "really cool idea", rather than, say, something solid from the previous game- like, you know, the main character or the story's framework? Floundering around for something solid to base the game on rather than using what you already had going.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Guys, it's real: The aliens have abducted the real Prey 2 game, we will now have to travel through time and space to recover the original Prey 2 game before it is turned into another CoD clone.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Bindal said:
Worked for the first game, maybe the sequel will do the same...
I gues it's a case of an idea that's too good to die but too weird to truly attract investment.

I loved the gravity and space bending in Prey though, that was amazing!

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
A shame really from what we've seen of the game it looked like one of the most original FPS games we've seen since Mirrors Edge.

Finger's crossed that the reason it's in limbo is that Beth are waiting on the next console gen to arrive.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I only played the demo of the first game, but after watching this video, I must say I think it's really sad this game isn't coming out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=H_LiiAuPnhI

It's cyberpunk... and I love cyberpunk. I really hope this game comes out eventually now.

Apr 28, 2008
I really hope this game comes out. It looked pretty good, and the actual gameplay was surprisingly close to the CGI trailer.

Thing looks like it has promise, it'd be a damn shame if it was canned.

Jun 16, 2010
Huh, nobody ever talks about Prey. I bought it once for like ?5, played for a while and just found it really gimmicky and pointless. All the shrinking and gravity-warping and astral projection and running on the ceiling sounded cool in theory, but it was done in a really linear, bland sort of way.

It would have been better if they focussed more on the cool aspects (like Portal for example), rather than trying to cram in lots of shooting and annoying platform puzzles too.

Native American main character was a welcome change though.

Tamrin

Nov 12, 2011
I already knew about this since back in July. I even sent a PM about it when Susan claimed the game was cancelled in a podcast. It's not good that it's October now and someone finally admits the game's in limbo.

The fact is this isn't a surprise, or at least it shouldn't surprise. Human Head Studios went and made Rune Classic releasing it exactly one year after their E3 showing of Prey 2. Meanwhile ZeniMax has been working on The Elder Scrolls Online. If your serious about wanting a game made and everybody goes off and does their own thing then logically the game's development is in limbo until somebody steps up or the project is just cancelled.

Studsmack

Sep 28, 2012
I'd like to know why either Bethesda or Human Head is just sitting on this. The concept and trailers seem rock solid and doesn't rely on the all-popular multiplayer aspect (I guess I have Brink in mind with that analogy).

A solid play might be to just turn this into its own franchise, a la Sleeping Dogs. I never saw the Prey license as something worth holding onto, myself. Another thing could be to release as a launch title for Microsoft and Sony's next-gen systems - though it would be interesting to see whether this game or the new consoles come out first... place your bets!

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
1337mokro said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I really liked the trailers. They showed me a world I would instantly love and a premise that was both interesting and open ended, it's probably just a weird funding issue or maybe the game they delivered was so bad and buggy even Bethesda said no.

Either way eventually some kind of leaked half restored version will reach the internet.
Ninja'd... damn

I really can't add more to this comment.