Prey 2 May Not be Dead After All

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Prey 2 May Not be Dead After All

Prey2.com and Prey3.com were recently updated to point to a hidden Facebook page.

Alien Noire [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/prey%202?os=prey+2] claims it spoke with a source who confirmed the game still existed.

Prey2.com and Prey3.com now both point to a Prey 2 Facebook page [https://www.facebook.com/prey2], which is currently hidden. Alien Noire claimed that the game will be officially revealed on June 14 - the first day of E3 this year, which could be why the domains have been updated. It claims that Dishonored developer Arkane Studios is now working on the game.

So while this is far from a confirmation that the game is alive, well, it may be a sign that it's not quite dead after all. Shortly after its cancellation, a developer said that the game was practically 100% complete [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124543-Prey-2-Was-A-Full-Game-When-Bethesda-Cancelled-it] when Bethesda pulled the plug, so there is still hope!

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/prey-2-domain-updated-e3-announcement-rumored/]

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I still need to try and get the first one. Looked like an interesting game. And the footage of the second one looked awesome.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
I wonder if they will continue the cancelled Mirror's Edge (or Assassin's Creed?) crossed with Mass Effect idea, or go on with the Cherokee warrior story.

I loved the original. The things that it did with gravity were amazing. Look around, and you'd see enemies walking on the walls and ceiling, and at a few points, had asteroids where you could almost feel yourself being pulled around it. Not to mention that it was doing portals years before Portal was doing portals!

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The Enquirer said:
I still need to try and get the first one. Looked like an interesting game. And the footage of the second one looked awesome.
Not on Steam at this time. Surprising. I played it in the early days of the Xbox 360 and it was spectacular. I can't believe part 2 has been in development hell for all these years (9 ?)

There are PC ports too. My advice? Get one. Check some youtube videos for inspiration. You will see so much that is terrific.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Please let this thing come back. Looked like an amazing concept and I'd love to see more of it.

the.chad

Nov 22, 2010
Hell yeah.

Remember absolutely loving the trailer... partly because Prey was a cool game.
But ESPECIALLY because of the Johnny Cash track :)

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
The Enquirer said:
The first one had some interesting gameplay, some horrible writing and strange design decisions, like "let's make the player character a whiny person who nobody wants to be".

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I recently played through the first game again. I got to say I loved the gravity stuff, the problem I had with the Prey 2 trailer was it didn't seem to have any of that sort of thing in, that is what made it unique, that and the awesome bio-tech style it had going for it.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
First game was cancelled twice and took 11 years to finish. The sequel is still well on track for a Prey title.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Halyah said:
Unless they're going to take the PC from the first Prey and its use of gravity+portal mechanics further instead of what they were gonna do last time we heard about Prey 2, I'd say the game should just be left on the scrapheap heh.
Honestly? I agree with this.

Though I hope they rewrite him to be less of a whiner.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
The Enquirer said:
You're gonna have to find a physical copy, either used or mint. There were some problems with the old publisher when they moved from Triton to Steam, and apparently they never really made a new batch of valid CD-keys. During a Steam sale a few years ago they effectively ran out of CD-keys and never bothered to make more. The game is pretty much unsupported at this point, and you can't buy it through Steam anymore due to the lack of keys. You can still register and download it through Steam given that you can find a valid CD-key.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I really enjoyed the first Prey. But if the game has been in and out of development hell again and again... well perhaps it's best to just stay dead. But if it is gonna happen, I'm hopeful there is some semblance of the first Prey in there somewhere.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
This pleases my tingle-glands greatly. But summer is kinda the only time i can start making myself look less pasty-white and half-dead, by holidaying or just scampering off outside to find mating partners.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
NLS said:
The Enquirer said:
You're gonna have to find a physical copy, either used or mint. There were some problems with the old publisher when they moved from Triton to Steam, and apparently they never really made a new batch of valid CD-keys. During a Steam sale a few years ago they effectively ran out of CD-keys and never bothered to make more. The game is pretty much unsupported at this point, and you can't buy it through Steam anymore due to the lack of keys. You can still register and download it through Steam given that you can find a valid CD-key.
Yea, I always saw a few sites that had the keys but I'm always wary of that stuff.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Gorfias said:
Not on Steam at this time. Surprising. I played it in the early days of the Xbox 360 and it was spectacular. I can't believe part 2 has been in development hell for all these years (9 ?)
Prey itself was an infamous piece of vapourware that was in development for 11 years (announced in 1995!).

At least Prey 2 keeps that part of the formula.

The bit of Prey that really got me was the big/small rooms. The gravity and portals were weird enough, but chasing an enemy through a door and find yourself on that tiny, tiny globe in the centre of the room was weird, not least because the giant enemy looking down on you.

That and having a gunfight from the ceiling with an enemy on the floor.

bladestorm91

Mar 18, 2015
Doesn't the IP belong to Human Head Studios? Or rather who was the original owner and how did fall into the hands of Bethesda/ZeniMax?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
NLS said:
The Enquirer said:
Oh really?

I've a copy of it still in the case upstairs.

Wonder what it'd fetch on ebay...