Prey 2 Was "A Full Game" When Bethesda Cancelled it

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
I almost want to believe this guy, but then I remember that he's talking about a game that had something to do with Prey.

I did not like Prey, and I have no faith in the potential of anything connected with it to be good.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
That's really disappointing. I kind of feel sorry for the people who worked on canceled games. Imagine pouring your heart and soul into the project that will never see the light of day because of some asshole in a suit.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Denamic said:
No, no. A hub based bounty hunter western in space, with portals, twisted gravity, and a protagonist with spirit powers. There must be hundreds of games like that.
I'm not sure about spirit powers in case of Prey2
Spirit powers in Prey come from main characters navaho ancestry (because EVERY native american is immortal and have spirit pet, right?)
From the trailer it seemed that "magic" was replaced with some ultra-high-tech gadgets

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
I can't imagine a small to mid level publisher like Zenimax-Bethesda would cancel a finished game and start from scratch unless the thing was just awful. They're no EA with the leeway to cancel and destroy projects for petty or nonsensical reasons.

And as much as I sympathize with the people who made the game, they were likely too close to it to recognize how good/bad the game was. Especially when so many emotions were involved for them with their work being cast aside.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
That's kind of sucky. It's not nice when these things happen.

However Bethesda's usually a decent publisher so I'm guessing there must have been some issues.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
blackrave said:
Denamic said:
No, no. A hub based bounty hunter western in space, with portals, twisted gravity, and a protagonist with spirit powers. There must be hundreds of games like that.
Spirit powers in Prey come from main characters navaho ancestry (because EVERY native american is immortal and have spirit pet, right?)
From the trailer it seemed that "magic" was replaced with some ultra-high-tech gadgets
A perfect opportunity to break out some Arthur C Clarke!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Apr 28, 2008
rhizhim said:
please leak the "full game" by "accident"
Irridium said:
This makes me very sad. You know how games never live up to their CGI trailers? Well, Prey 2's did.

Such a god damn shame.
wait, how would you know?

you only saw cgi trailers. thats the only thing we saw. the screenshots was a fan made thingy.
I know because they did a gameplay reveal a while ago.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
Prey 2 was to be the sequel to 2006's Prey, which was also developed by Human Head but published under the now defunct 3D Realms. Human Head set to work on an ambitious sequel, which would have the main character travel to the homeworld of Prey's alien race and become a sort of bounty hunter.
Pretty sure that Prey 2 didn't involve the original game's main character at all. This was supposed to be someone new. Some government agent that was on the plane we saw go down partway into the first game. HE'D become the bounty hunter, providing a nice, safe (white), protagonist that didn't have spirituality or unfamiliar culture to scare off the CoD crowd. The gameplay looked interesting, but the high-level decisions had a bad smell to them from the start.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Balls... this game is never going to be released. It's ironic because the first Prey went through a similar process of scrapping different versions and bouncing around between different game generations.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Hmm, considering Prey was "almost finished" for about 9 years, I'm gonna have to call bullshit on this one. Publishers are often dicks, but if Human Head were doing their Prey routine and restarting development every time some new shiny came along (as Sheo_Dagana mentions), Bethesda made the right call.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Denamic said:
blackrave said:
Denamic said:
It was so predictable, that I want to punch you right now.
Instead I will add "..unless you understand how this "sufficiently advanced technology" works"

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
blackrave said:
Denamic said:
blackrave said:
Denamic said:
Instead I will add "..unless you understand how this "sufficiently advanced technology" works"
Except we don't.
Because we know that the gun shoots portals, it doesn't mean we understand how it works. The portal gun is a product of science, but to our understanding of how the actual technology works, it's indistinguishable from a wizard using magic to the same effect.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Denamic said:
blackrave said:
Denamic said:
blackrave said:
Denamic said:
Except we don't.
Because we know that the gun shoots portals, it doesn't mean we understand how it works. The portal gun is a product of science, but to our understanding of how the actual technology works, it's indistinguishable from a wizard using magic to the same effect.
By the same logic for most people PC or mobile phone is magic as well
"How does it works? I dunnou. Pixie dust?"

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
blackrave said:
Denamic said:
blackrave said:
Denamic said:
blackrave said:
Denamic said:
Except we don't.
By the same logic for most people PC or mobile phone is magic as well
"How does it works? I dunnou. Pixie dust?"
Except we understand how PCs and mobile phones work. Because they exist, we made them, and they can be tested. I'm not a computer scientist, but even as a layman, I have a fair understanding of the inner workings of said machines. But they would absolutely seem magic to a person who has never encountered modern technology before.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
This saddens me greatly. I came across Prey completely on accident and it ended up being one of my favorite science fiction games. The extremely varied game mechanics, weapons and enemies, along with ever changing and unique environments.. The game was just so much fun. I've been looking forward to Prey 2 since its' announce almost more than I was looking forward to Mass Effect 3 (which is saying a lot), and I've been checking for updates every couple of months with my fingers crossed.

I can't express how much sympathy Human Head has from me, and how utterly saddening it is to see it completely scrapped so Bethesda can start anew with someone else. The trailers, gameplay videos and everything I've seen so far looked outstanding. A parkouring bounty hunter in space? It's pretty much my dream game.
I'm not even sure whether to hope Arkane can take on the challenge... Not having Human Head involved in some way seems... disrespectful at the very least. :/