Prey: A Character Driven RP [FINISHED]

Cap'n Ninja

Magnificent Malefactor
Jan 16, 2011
Lily looked up at Blackrose "Chinese culture has a lot of dragons in it, maybe they have some kind of ancestral home or something there. Rin is a Chinese-sounding name, so maybe that's where she's based. I don't really know any more than you. She's probably planning something with all of the dragons she has enslaved though, maybe even world domination, who knows?" she said, finishing her coffee. "What I do know is that we should probably get going soon. We have a flight to catch." she added, standing up as she slid from the booth.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Maya looked up at Dr. Strauss with a quizzical expression as he led her away from the cultist, who called after them awkwardly.

"Um... okay. Just be quick... she's waiting." he said weakly and sat down at one of the benches.

"Where are we going now?" Maya asked Strauss quietly as they closed the lab door behind them. "What's a cer-rar-money?"

~​

Rin sighed and checked her watch as Alec defiantly sat on the stone floor.

"Where are those two? I sent for them over ten minutes ago..." she muttered under breath before turning back to him. "I'm sorry to do this, my dear, but it's all about the greater good. " As she said this she drew a pistol from under her coat and put it to Alec's head. "Now contact Merlin this instant or or your future will be very short indeed."

~​

Once Lily had left her chair the four exited the cafe, Goch was waiting for them on the other side of the road among some trees.

"Hurry before someone see's" the voice emanated through all their heads "Climb onto me and then we can leave here."

i don't know

Feb 22, 2010
"Go ahead, pull the trigger; you'll definitely be able to talk to Merlin then." Alec spat at the ground near Rin "If you want me to get Merlin awake you'll need to get me a few things. First, I need a bottle of the fine dragon brew, and second I need a healthy young dragon, and third I want you to never touch Maya, or harm her in any way. Do this and I will talk to Merlin."

A faint buzzing noise started coming from around the front of Alec's head.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Dr. Strauss led Maya back into the lab as he answered her question.

"Umm... its something that a group of people do together... there are different kinds of ceremonies though most of them have to do with religion," Dr. Strauss habitually explained as he tried to hide his mounting worry as he looked over the test results, "With Rin though... I have no idea what it involves."

Dr. Strauss pocketed a copy of the test results and knelt in front of Maya, "But don't worry, I'll make sure you're safe. I promise."

He waited for her response before leading her out of the room to follow the cultist around.

DktrAgonizer

Jun 7, 2010
"We can talk over this stuff later, when we're flying," Zetta said. She stuffed the last of her sandwich into her mouth and grabbed for her wallet, pulling out a number of bills and laying them on the table. She chewed furiously as she stood up from the table, then swallowed and gulped down the rest of her coffee. She would rather have taken it along with her to savor it, but she doubted Goch would have drink holders.

"Let's go," she said, not waiting for the others before leaving the diner. Zetta strode over to where Goch was waiting for them, staring up at him with her hands on her hips. "So... how is this going to work? Do we climb up your tail and cling to your back as best as we can, or what?" As she spoke, she glanced behind her to see the others following. Now that they were out of the diner and away from anybody who might recognize Gabriel from the news report, Zetta let the illusion surrounding him drop.

JoJo

Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Maya nodded in reply to Dr. Strauss. "Okay" she said simply, then the two walked back out of the lab to the awkward follower.

"Oh, you're ready now..." he said looking mildly surprised "Follow me."

He led them down a long passage that seemed to be carved out of the stone that made up the mountain. At closer inspection it seemed to have been made from widening an existing cave. Despite Dr. Strauss's earlier answer, Maya still didn't know where they were going.

"Are we going to see Mummy now?" she asked the doctor quietly so the follower couldn't hear. At that moment they entered the chamber where Rin and Alec were talking.

"...into that kind of thing!"

~​

Rin looked angrily at Alec and was very tempted to just pull the trigger, but she knew there wasn't any other way to reach the dead wizard.

"Very well." she sighed, trying not to look too annoyed "Bring what he requested." she called out to her followers then turned back to him "Fine, I won't harm the child, it's not like I was planning to anyway. Teach someone from a young age and they'll learn not to disobey, unlike a certain medium in this room. So you want a healthy young dragon eh... I didn't know you were into that kind of thing!"

~​

Goch shifted his arrowed tail around him so it was visible to the four companions. The tree's around him sheltered the dragon enough that he was only visible from the side which Lily, Zetta, Blackrose and Gabriel were standing.

"There'll be room for all of yer to sit up here, it'll be cramped sure but it'll be faster than one of your human flying machines. Yer right human, climb up my tail and don't lean on my wings, they ain't as strong as they look."

The four climbed onto Goch, then with a grunt he leapt heavily into the air, leathery wings spread wide. There people in the streets below but they didn't notice the dragon as he flew upwards towards the clouds.

"Magic should take care of their prying eyes eh?" he said to the riders. "It'll be a long ride so rest if yer want."

i don't know

Feb 22, 2010
"A healthy young dragon that can fly properly and carry my weight to be exact."

Alec slowly moved the trigger away from his face.

"Let's not do anything stupid now Rin."

Alec said with an evil smile.

Cap'n Ninja

Magnificent Malefactor
Jan 16, 2011
Lily settled in to a crevice in the mighty dragon's back, but remained attached to one of his spines as he flew, for fear of falling. "Sleep sounds like a good idea" she said, meaning it as a recommendation to the others, but letting it come out more like a speculation on a foreign matter from someone who had once read a book about it, but never actually engaged in the practice. Closing her eyes and gathering her thoughts, she opened them again and kept them decidedly not focused on the rapidly receding rock beneath them. "You guys should try to get some while I keep watch. Not that I don't trust you or have any way of stopping you Goch, but it's best to be cautious just in case you lead us astray."

TheDoctor455

Apr 1, 2009
Dr. Strauss looked at Maya for a moment before responding. He wished he had a better answer.

"I..." he paused again, trying to remember any scrap of information he had on the topic, but, "I'm sorry Maya, I don't know. But... with Rin around..." He stopped.

JoJo

Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Rin glared at Alec's smug smile, gripping the pistol in her right hand tightly.

"Don't you worry about me young man, I hope for your sake you don't do anything stupid. Oh look, you two are finally here."

She turned to welcome Dr. Strauss and Maya, whom the final part of her sentence had been addressed to. She turned her back on the American and spoke directly to the doctor.

"Do you have the results of your tests yet? Many people's lives are in danger here while we don't know what's going to happen..."

Maya felt annoyed that the two adults stood closely together, apparently so she couldn't hear what they were saying, so with a bounce she went over to Alec. She didn't notice that Mr. Kimura was watching her silently with interest from the side of the chamber where a curtain was blocking off another section of the room.

"Why do you want to ride on a dragon?" she asked him innocently.

~​

Gabriel nodded in reply to Lily, he looked with calm interest down at the rapidly diminishing city below them.

"I guess it isn't possible to light a ciggie up here is it?" he sighed and lay down as best he could, silently watching the lights of Paris disappear over the horizon. He didn't trust himself to fall asleep on the back of a flying dragon, but somehow it happened anyway, and for the next few hours he slept peacefully as Goch flew eastwards.

DktrAgonizer

Jun 7, 2010
Zetta climbed onto Goch's back very slowly, a weird tingling in her stomach as she left the ground. She'd flown in an airplane before, back when she was a child. It was several years after her mother had died giving birth to her; Maurice had gotten a job offer over in Paris, where he'd always wanted to live, and so he and Zetta had left America for good. She remembered feeling uneasy during the flight, but not too much else. Being up on the dragon's back, though...

"Are you sure we won't fall off?" Zetta asked, wrapping her arms firmly around one of the spikes on Goch's back. She'd whispered the question, though, and nobody answered as Goch took off from the ground. Zetta felt her stomach lurch and her eyes widened, taking in the way the ground below got farther away and smaller as the dragon rose.

She shook her head firmly, squeezing her eyes shut as she fought back a wave of nausea. Somehow, she doubted she'd get any real rest during the trip.

TheDoctor455

Apr 1, 2009
Dr. Strauss reached into his pocket as if to pull out the machine's printout, but then thought better of it. To cover it, he placed both hands into a pocket on either side of his lab coat.

"Its worse than I feared," he almost stammered, "Far worse. Originally, I had only thought it would leave a sizable dent in the global population... but one we could recover from. Now... even if there are any survivors, there won't be nearly enough for a viable population. If my condition worsens, or if I die before we find a cure, it will be released and well... I ran a second test to verify the results... and it gets worse. If the virus is released, there is a very high probability that the virus will mutate overtime and start infecting and killing other species as well. Which reminds me... Rin? There was one unique specimen in the simulator's library... is it... from you? If so, then you should know, it was resilient at first, but even it died eventually."

Dr. Strauss looked for a chair, found one, and sank into it and went silent; not trusting himself to speak calmly any longer.

LunaSocks

Dec 27, 2010
Blackrose had only been on a plane once, to head to China. Except she hadn't really been in the plane, more-so, trying to not suffocate inside of one of the suitcases. So taking off on Goch was a whole new experience for her. One second she felt normal, and the next she felt like her stomach was being thrown up, down, and all around inside of her. She looked down and saw the ground slowly shrink under them, and grabbed onto the nearest spike and grabbed on with a deathgrip.

"Um, Goch, what happens if we slip or fall or anything?" She asked, hoping for an answer better than the one she was thinking.

Cap'n Ninja

Magnificent Malefactor
Jan 16, 2011
"Then I catch you" Lily said, trying to keep her tone firm. "I said I'd keep watch for a reason. I don't think any of us have much chance against a dragon, but I can at least keep us alive if someone falls for whatever reason. If you just slip and I miss you though, I'm sure Goch can catch you." she continued, keeping her tone reassuring and silently thanking her lucky stars that she was at the front of the dragon and wouldn't be expected to turn around. She hadn't ever flown before, as being a native Parisian, her summers were spent in the south of France, in Marseille or Nice, a couple of times she had been to Cannes, and once been taken to Barcelona for the summer, while winters were spent at a family chalet in the Alps. She had been to most of the neighbouring countries with her father, accompanying him on business trips and the like, but always by fairly ecologically viable means. Having an environmentalist lawyer for a father had its upsides, but now she found herself flying, she wasn't sure whether she was going to throw up, pass out or start laughing maniacally at the thought that she was actually defying gravity.

Lily risked a glance to the ground, and found herself confused as to what she was looking at. She scanned the city, looking for something familiar. Eventually, she found the circle with a cross running through it that must have been the Bois de Vincennes, and just south of that, the Seine. As they flew over it, she fought the urge to tell Blackrose that if she were to jump off now, she would be in-Seine. Smirking to herself, she decided she quite liked flying after all, though that did nothing to settle her stomach.

JoJo

Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Rin followed Dr. Strauss to where he was sitting, her face remaining calm despite his terrible news.

"Well? Do you have a cure? I don't think such a future will come to pass so there must be a solution. What do you intend to do?"

Meanwhile on the other side of the room, a follower entered leading behind him what Alec had requested. The dragon was far smaller than the one they had ridden earlier, anything bigger wouldn't have been able to fit inside the narrow tunnels leading to the chamber, but it was large enough for one adult to ride on. Without a word the follower passed the reins for the beast to the American and handed him a glass containing a deep brown alcoholic drink.

As this happened Maya watched until she felt a hand on a shoulder. The little girl shrieked and looked around to find Mr. Kimura behind her, as he was sitting in a wheelchair his head was only slightly higher than hers.

"Ahhh... who are you?" she squeaked and jumped closer to Alec.

"There's no need to be frightened" the old Japanese man said in Mandarin Chinese in an accent that reminded her of Takeda. "Are you Hui's daughter?"

Maya nodded "How you know about Mummy?" she asked suspiciously, switching to her native language too.

"We used to work together many years ago before you were born. Did she teach you such good English?"

The child nodded again, this time more eagerly "Her job was changing writing from English to Chinese, or the other way around sometimes. She wanted me to work in America when I grow up so she made me learn it".

"Very sensible of her. Rin told me that she's ill at the moment, I'm sorry to hear that. Did she ever mention me, or the Tao Zheng company, or even Japan to you?"

Maya shook her head for the first two but at the mention of the third she changed her expression.

"Oh yeah, she told me how evil and bad Japanese people are" she said enthusiastically "I hate them more than anything!"

Mr. Kimura looked deflated when he heard the small girl's last statement, even though he could tell she thought he was Chinese.

"I thought she might tell you that..." he said dejectedly.

~​

The day passed quickly as the four companions flew towards the Xinjiang region, western China. Them flying in the opposite direction to the movement of the Sun meant that most of their journey was in darkness, only when they were on the edge of the Flaming Mountains did light finally return. The terrain beneath them was now barren and deserted, red in colour.

Wakey wakey, we are here now...

Goch's voice boomed through their heads, even those who were still asleep.

They say the redness of these mountains comes from long ago when a hero slew a dragon who had been eating local kids. That dragon was my uncle and I can confirm to yer that it was definitely already that colour before he was killed, and he didn't eat kids. Well, usually...

The dragon descended at a steady pace, looking shiftily at one particularly high peak a few miles in the distance. He landed and gave the four the opportunity to slide off.

This is as far as I can take yer, any closer and Rin's followers spot me straight off. It won't take more than a hour to get to the base where yer friends are. Don't forget to get the sword first, then go the dragon chamber to end our servitude. Words and spells don't matter, the magic is strong enough to work on yer intentions alone.

DktrAgonizer

Jun 7, 2010
Zetta slid off the dragon's back with a loud sigh of relief. "No offense, Goch, but I really hope we won't have to fly back the same way so soon," she said, rubbing her arms briskly. They were pretty high up, where the air was thin and cold. It wasn't bad enough to be dangerous, but enough to be slightly uncomfortable. Either way, she was glad to be safely back on the ground again.

"Well." Zetta pursed her lips as she stared out into the distance. She was silent for a moment, then she turned to look at the others. "Shall we go? Once we get close to the base, I can make us invisible to anybody who happens to be keeping watch. I think I feel good enough to hold an illusion like that for a while."

Cap'n Ninja

Magnificent Malefactor
Jan 16, 2011
Lily nodded, taking in Zetta's suggestion as she carefully climbed down from Goch's back, taking a few wobbly steps before regaining her balance after the extended stay in the air. Noticing Zetta's shivering and slight anaemia of the group as a whole, she berated herself silently for not protecting them from the oxygen-poor air. She had done so herself without noticing, but had neglected to follow suit for the rest of the group. "Better we get going sooner than later" she said, stretching her limbs and beginning to walk in the direction Goch had indicated.

TheDoctor455

Apr 1, 2009
Dr. Strauss inhaled deeply in an effort to calm himself as he got up to stand face-to-face with Rin.

"Rin," he said, "I honestly have no idea if a cure is even possible. My results show that it isn't just one viral or bacterial strain we're dealing with here, but dozens at least... maybe even hundreds of different strains. And in the short time between both simulations I ran... they evolved considerably. At the rate they were going... they would likely adapt to any potential cure before they were wiped out. The more I review the results, the slimmer the probability of developing and deploying a viable cure seems. Containment is the only option. We need to initiate a quarantine of this facility immediately."

With that, Dr. Strauss started pacing around the room looking over the two sets of results he had on him, hoping there was something he had missed the last several times he had checked them.

JoJo

Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Rin shook her head indignantly at Dr. Strauss's request.

"That's impossible, you realise we are in the middle of no-where yes? Surely isolating yourself in one of the labs upstairs will be sufficient... if it won't be then I'm afraid I'll have no choice but to eject you from the mountain. My dragons have spent years making this place exactly as I require it and I can't afford to waste it on your grave! Well, what's it going to be?"

Meanwhile on the other side of the room Mr. Kimura and Maya continued their conversation whilst Alec inspected the dragon he'd be brought.

"What's your name?" Maya asked Kimura, not remembering whether he hadn't told her yet or if she had simply forgotten.

"Chojun Kimura" he replied after a pause "Say Maya, it's rather boring in here for a child and what they're planning isn't much better, why not come with me? I've got something in my room you might like to see."

"Okay" Maya said innocently and with a quick glance at Dr. Strauss, who was still focused on Rin, she followed him as he wheeled himself out of the room.
~​

Gabriel moved groggily at first after the hasty departure of the dragon, glad that Zetta was keeping the four hidden from any onlookers at the mountain base.

"Jeez, it's hot here guys" he whispered to his companions even though there was no-one else in sight "I wonder how long it'll take to get there?"

Luckily it took less time than they expected for what seemed like less than an hour later they reached the bottom of the solid rock mountain. The land around it was completely barren, even devoid of plants, at closer inspection it seemed that much of the rocky landscape had literally been singed.

"Can you see any way in there?" Gabriel said in a low voice, his hands shaking slightly due to the length of time since he had lit up.