Price Cut Announcement Halves 3DS Sales

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Marudas said:
=( I'm a miserable git.
Me too, we should start a club. The only way I would "buy" one is if Nintendo started handing them out for free, or better yet paid me to take it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm still waiting for new colors. Japan has red so I may break down and import that one for my foreign gaming needs but I know they should be announcing new colors at some point in the not too distant future.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"15.3% of those without a 3DS were miserable gits, and said they wouldn't purchase a 3DS regardless of price."

Well, that's a lie, technically... I would buy it for anywhere between $0.01 and $40. Just Nintendo isn't budging on this overpriced issue and coming down to my miserable git level :p

Bolt-206

Dec 6, 2010
Probably the only reason why I haven't bought a 3DS myself is because I don't need to to play the games I want; Pokemon's about the only game series I still play on my handheld, other than the recent 'Solatorobo: Red the Hunter'.
It does make me wonder, what would of happened if Pokemon Black and White we're one of the 3DS's launch titles, instead of being on the original DS, would more people have bought it? 'cause it certainly of could used a bit more 1st party games that people could recognise.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Well, Nintendo, draw me in. $80 price cut? Great! Any games to play besides Ocarina of Time? No? How about that Paper Mario you promised last year? Where's that? What's that you say? 2012? Well, guess I won't be picking one up, price drop and all, until you entice me with a game I want to play. I already own Ocarina of Time, twice over, and Master Quest to boot. You're gonna have to give me something else. Pilotwings just won't cut it.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
It's common sense that people are going to stop buying the 3DS when they know a price drop is coming. I'm sure the sells are going to go through the roof after the 12th, and more so once a Mario game comes out.

Also: lol internet polls. They're absolutely worthless. I can't help but to laugh when people cite them.

Nami nom noms

Apr 26, 2011
personally I just wanted mine for the 2 resident evil games. I have the first, (waiting on the second) but no other games yet. Im waiting for mgs3 (even though i finished it way back, I only borrowed it so its good for me :)

already own ocarina of time twice... pilotwings is tempting because its cheap and i LOVED 64... but, i dunno... its not the same thing really...

ill probo get starfox 64 aswell but in honesty I am looking forward to the unique titles.
This was also the major problem with the psp at launch there was nothing on it but ports.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I got the system as a gift, so no skin off my bones. I still get the free game benefits and whatnot, so I could really give less of a damn. The inevitable semi-successor to the system is more likely to be an XL version rather than a Lite, seeing as the creators have been quoted as saying that they pretty much maxed out to make it as small as they could get it right off the bat.

It's a no-brainer that the sales have gone down so quickly, but that fact that they have is a surefire sign that they'll sell like crazy once the price drop does come.

As for the game prices, I believe all games should be cheaper in general. Given the current quality of the system's games, I wouldn't hold my breath for having them any cheaper.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
What was I expecting from a system with an overdone gimmick that's worth fuck-all, a scarce selection of expensive games, some of which are plagued by bullshit save protection, and a ridiculously stringent region locking?

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Treblaine said:
Listen up nintendo:

YOU NEVER ANNOUNCE A PRICE DROP IN ADVANCE!

Just suddenly drop the price. This free-games scheme is a good program to tide people over who bought at the inopportune moment but this is just screwing everything up.

But 3DS's problem is more than hardware cost, it is software cost.

$40 is TOO MUCH for a handheld game! Especially with the current quality of games on 3DS, you know damn well if they charge $40 for Steel Divers then they are going to charge $60 for Mario. Take a queue from steam: half the price -> quadruple the revenue.

So true. I find myself dissuading myself from buying a 3DS game on the grounds that it's not worth 40$ for 3D. I'd rather just buy a DS game.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
Treblaine said:
Listen up nintendo:

YOU NEVER ANNOUNCE A PRICE DROP IN ADVANCE!

Just suddenly drop the price. This free-games scheme is a good program to tide people over who bought at the inopportune moment but this is just screwing everything up.
Good point.

I propose a possible explanation of their logic here:
Perhaps Nintendo was weighing cost of the Bad PR they would have received for quietly dropping the price after people had bought it. By announcing it overtly, Nintendo also purchased the power to assuage the wrath of early adopters BEFORE the press could chew them up.

Remember, reputation is at a premium when a system is still new; the more people who aren't bad mouthing you the better.

This Christmas will be make-or-break time for the 3DS; building goodwill now (because the 3DS is honestly not worth the cost now) pays higher dividends later.

I'm guessing that was Nintendo's strategy; whether it works or not I leave for this Christmas.
The like $100-$150 in free games isn't too bad either. I have been looking at the prices for the DSi Store and the Virtual Console those games are not cheap.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Good heavens, I really don't like Nintendo. I sincerely hope the 3DS eventually crashes spectacularly and the Wii U turns out to be a cheap plasticy piece of tat that joins its predecessor abandonded at the back of the cupboard.

Hmm, I wonder what kind of response I could possibly get for this post? :)

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
It's all based around gimmicks. And the breaking point here... It's just not a cool console to own... Nobody wants one. It's a very closed sub-culture that are the fan base for this sort of thing. Nintendo need to concentrate on getting the sheep to buy their stuff, by making machines bigger, more powerful, and prettier.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
A recent Nintendo product isn't selling and a CEO has apologized to customers for his company making its products cheaper? If that isn't proof we've slipped into some kind of terrible parallel nega-dimension then I don't know what is.
Indeed, and that terrible parallel nega-dimension is called "Japan".

Regardless, I'm still not interested in the 3DS, and yes that's because I haven't heard of a single 3DS game I really want. No amount of price-cutting is going to change that.

Zouriz

Apr 28, 2011
Man people are really jumping the gun on this doom and gloom thing. How about waiting a year before calling the system dead. Come to think of it, didn't the PS2, PS3, and DS have a much worse launch then this?

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
That seems counterintuitive, considering what price cuts have done to previous products like the Gamecube. To quote Adam Sessler, it started selling like hotcakes. Hotcakes covered in crack.

Robert Ewing said:
It's all based around gimmicks. And the breaking point here... It's just not a cool console to own... Nobody wants one. It's a very closed sub-culture that are the fan base for this sort of thing. Nintendo need to concentrate on getting the sheep to buy their stuff, by making machines bigger, more powerful, and prettier.
So they can either try and be innovative, or go for the standard bigger-stick approach.

It's a sad, bleak world you live in, and apparently one where the Wii was an abject failure trying this exact same strategy, which Nintendo inexplicably tried to repeat with the 3DS.