Print Media Hot Takes

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gross. Why are people so eager to use AI for graverobbing?
Because they have no ethical morals, standards, nor creativity. A majority of them are probably talentless hacks that couldn't get anywhere a barely get anywhere. They're parasitic leeches with nothing better to do in life.

I highly doubt this is much of a hot take nowadays, but I never even cared much for the Hunger Games novels either. They're only barely better than the movies. The "competing in a violent death game" can't get much higher than Battle Royale, if we're talking about kids or teens killing each other. If we're not talking about that, then Mad World, the Running Man (both versions), and SMASH TV top pretty much nearly everything aside from BR. With all that said, I can never watch the movie adaption of BR again. It's not a bad adaption, but it is hard to watch nowadays. I sold the DVD years ago though. I won't be reading the original novel nor manga version either again as well.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
While there's a lot of The Hunger Games that could have been improved on, the way the crushing dystopia was depicted was, IMHO, quite good.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't bother buying long running superhero comic book series with decades long spanning continuity. I usually prefer either a miniseries, one shots, an ultimate universe, or alternate universe retelling of specific characters and mythos. I prefer the stories that are self-contained. I noticed lately that these type of comic books I usually wait until the story or miniseries is already completed. Then I'll buy it in graphic novel form. That way I can just have it all at once and be done with it. The stories I usually buy are ones of either lesser known superheroes that got their time to shine (plenty know people know Shang-Chi now of course), or just someone I'm not that familiar.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I don't bother buying long running superhero comic book series decades long spanning continuity. I usually prefer either a miniseries, one shots, or an ultimate universe or alternate universe retelling of specific characters and mythos. I prefer the stories that are self-contained. I noticed lately that these type of comic books I buy I usually wait until the story or miniseries is already completed then I'll buy it in graphic novel form. That way I can just have it all at once and be done with. And the stories I usually buy are ones of either lesser known superheroes that got their time to shine (plenty of people no Shang-Chi now of course), or just someone I'm not that familiar.
That's not a hot take. Its totally logical and why long running comics are so intimidating to get into and why comics like to reboot themselves all the time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's not a hot take.
Depends on who you're talking to. I've had hardcore comic nerds flip out at me over this back in the mid-2010s. I know most are understandable now, but there are still plenty with that dumb mindset.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ah, the good old days, when I'd have to stop reading a comic every 4 panels to go google something.

Though, I don't think comics have to be so short and self-contained to work, they just need to not referencing other things so often. Or having part two of the adventure be in some other heroes comic due to a crossover, to try to tempt me into buying another line.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Depends on who you're talking to. I've had hardcore comic nerds flip out at me over this back in the mid-2010s. I know most are understandable now, but there are still plenty with that dumb mindset.
If that happens then you hit him in the stomach, push him down and take his lunch money.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If that happens then you hit him in the stomach, push him down and take his lunch money.
The ones that usually flipped out I gave them a whatever/don't care apathetic attitude. Some did see my point of reason or why others would prefer the one offs.

LegoDnD

Jan 10, 2023
Country
United States of America
In terms of characters I want to fallow, I could be mistaken for a hardcore/old-school nerd, but I fallow your purchasing habit for much the same reason. So my collection thus far amounts to 6 out of 7 Hellboys, 1 B.R.P.D, Planet Hulk, and 2 Fantastic 4s. Research on Amazon tells me there are more of what I already said and many hardcovers for Daredevil, Spider-Man, Captain America, Punisher, Black Panther, and more Mike Mignola works.

I thought about giving DC a fair shake until I realized that even my preferred continuity for it is like a Backrooms level stuffed with mixed bags of convolution.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In terms of characters I want to fallow, I could be mistaken for a hardcore/old-school nerd, but I fallow your purchasing habit for much the same reason. So my collection thus far amounts to 6 out of 7 Hellboys, 1 B.R.P.D, Planet Hulk, and 2 Fantastic 4s. Research on Amazon tells me there are more of what I already said and many hardcovers for Daredevil, Spider-Man, Captain America, Punisher, Black Panther, and more Mike Mignola works.
I got Shang-Chi and Ten Rings Mini Series, Defenders (2017, both volume collections), and Spider-Gwen: Gwen Stacy. I'm thinking between either Ironheart or Iron Fist next.

I thought about giving DC a fair shake until I realized that even my preferred continuity for it is like a Backrooms level stuffed with mixed bags of convolution.
Definitely more of a Marvel person myself when getting any interests in these comics. I prefer just watching animated adaptions of DC Comic stories or AUs. I try to get interested in some, but it's hard for me.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
The Unibomber's manifesto.

Not great, tbh. Was hoping to learn something unspoken from before my time, a radicalisation outside the present political norms. But instead just sounds like another rambling Jordan Peterson except if he read like one less book and couldn't get over being publicly humiliated by a specific-yet-undefined middle aged white male liberal/leftist at some pivotal moment in their past. All evils are cause leftists, and all leftists are this one middle aged white man, apparently. Could be the longest subtweet ever written, one for the Guinness book of world records even. The CIA has a lot to answer for. Is kinda sad the 'culture wars™' hasn't evolved or moved on since. It's all a broken record, round n round n round we go, spinning, circling, turning the crank on the rickety old jack-in-the-box inside the windmill, playing the song of storms from Zelda Ocarine of time as it rains - doledee doledee, deeee do doleedoodee!

Last edited: