Pro-Gamer Gauntlet: I.T. Noire

Ris

Mar 31, 2011
I wouldn't want you to do this too much, since it largely relies on the audience being familiar with a specific game to understand any of the humour. I'm a PC gamer, and it's only thanks to having watched the Escapist reviews that I understood half of the jokes. One thing I love about this series is that it's so accessible to all types of gamer, since we're all familiar with the broad stereotypes and genres; this episode.. not so much.

Baraka444

Apr 21, 2011
Sorry Brownstudies but I have to say this is the first PGG I've really enjoyed, I especially like the idea of using in game features in a real world setting, like the QTE's last episode. Also IT calling the blood stained knife "circumstantial" and not quite being able to rotate his wrist.
Maybe have the Heavy Rain words floating around, or the Monkey Island point and click to use objects in the future.

Paul Hearding

Creator of Pro-gamer Gauntlet
Oct 1, 2010
miquelfire said:
You know, when there was a general story line...
Avaholic03 said:
Soooo...I guess they're just throwing the whole story out the window and doing random episodes each week now?
For everyone who is still confused about the nature of our show:
The story is the single most important thing in our series. The way we are crafting a story is in 15-20 minute increments. The story that we want to tell can't really effectively be translated to 3-minute mini-episodes. It's got the plot-arc of a TV series. Unfortunately, we all have full-time jobs and some of the actors travel from as far away as two hours to film this stuff on the weekends. I have been working my butt off on episode 5 (32 hours of editing in the past two days) and it'll be here next week to continue the plot that was launched in episodes 1-4. We will have a full episode every month and some of the shorts that are coming up soon will be plot-pertinent.

With the amount of work that goes into one of our episodes with the huge cast and multiple locations of the episodes (plus the fact that we all work full-time jobs) makes it impossible to crank out one of our 20-minute beast episodes in any less than 3 weeks. So, we were left with either leaving you all hanging for 3-4 weeks in between major episodes or producing a more manageable short every week, so that you'd have *something* related to PgG on a very regular schedule. Heck, even TV series can't crank out an episode in one week's time and they have a whole team working on the production side of things. They film most of their episodes way ahead of time.

So, hang in there, episode 5 will be here next week. Rest assured that I am dedicated to bringing you all the best content that I possibly can in the timeliest manner possible.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
Paul Hearding said:
miquelfire said:
You know, when there was a general story line...
Avaholic03 said:
Soooo...I guess they're just throwing the whole story out the window and doing random episodes each week now?
For everyone who is still confused about the nature of our show:
The story is the single most important thing in our series. The way we are crafting a story is in 15-20 minute increments. The story that we want to tell can't really effectively be translated to 3-minute mini-episodes. It's got the plot-arc of a TV series. Unfortunately, we all have full-time jobs and some of the actors travel from as far away as two hours to film this stuff on the weekends. I have been working my butt off on episode 5 (32 hours of editing in the past two days) and it'll be here next week to continue the plot that was launched in episodes 1-4. We will have a full episode every month and some of the shorts that are coming up soon will be plot-pertinent.

With the amount of work that goes into one of our episodes with the huge cast and multiple locations of the episodes (plus the fact that we all work full-time jobs) makes it impossible to crank out one of our 20-minute beast episodes in any less than 3 weeks. So, we were left with either leaving you all hanging for 3-4 weeks in between major episodes or producing a more manageable short every week, so that you'd have *something* related to PgG on a very regular schedule. Heck, even TV series can't crank out an episode in one week's time and they have a whole team working on the production side of things. They film most of their episodes way ahead of time.

So, hang in there, episode 5 will be here next week. Rest assured that I am dedicated to bringing you all the best content that I possibly can in the timeliest manner possible.
Brilliant, fucking brilliant. I love you, this plan is amazing. But then again, I actually like the show.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Nikolaz72 said:
Avaholic03 said:
Soooo...I guess they're just throwing the whole story out the window and doing random episodes each week now? Not a fan of that, and judging from the only 10 comments so far, not many people are.
They are once a month. 20 Minute episodes. Theese 5 minute ones as fillers that comes out every week. Be patient. Its free. You dont have the liberty to whine.
That's the dumbest logic I've ever heard. Of course I have liberty to whine. How else are the producers of the show going to know if their audience is unhappy about something? You'd rather everyone just shut up and the people make shows in a vaccuum?

Thanks a lot for the update. That actually makes a lot of sense. Is there a place where that was communicated earlier? It seems like the production details of most shows on the Escapist (like why some shows are continued and others are canceled) are a mystery. Not that you have any control over that, but it would be nice if that information was available. I didn't mean to come off as a dick about it, it just seemed like a sudden change of direction from the type of show that I got attached to in the first few episodes.

And for what it's worth, thanks for all the hard work you guys do. It is appreciated, even if you mostly hear negatives on the internet ;)

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Loved it, it was hilarious!
Also, the end with that teddy bear was totally lol (if that sentence makes any sense at all).
So, yeah. Can't wait for the next one.

Paul Hearding

Creator of Pro-gamer Gauntlet
Oct 1, 2010
Avaholic03 said:
Is there a place where that was communicated earlier?

And for what it's worth, thanks for all the hard work you guys do. It is appreciated, even if you mostly hear negatives on the internet ;)

I have had a few people comment on the absence of a story-line for a couple of weeks. I've had to sort out the chaos in the comments a few times. We definitely don't have your typical release-schedule (with the story being told in spurts) and I understand that and why it causes confusion.

Much gratitude for your thanks. We put in an insane amount of work. I love it, don't get me wrong. But, dang, a lot goes in to producing a show of this scale. I must say that it's been a learning experience at the very least.

I hope you continue to enjoy our plot. As I said, it's the single most important part of the show.

Ris

Mar 31, 2011
Baraka444 said:
Sorry Brownstudies but I have to say this is the first PGG I've really enjoyed, I especially like the idea of using in game features in a real world setting, like the QTE's last episode. Also IT calling the blood stained knife "circumstantial" and not quite being able to rotate his wrist.
Maybe have the Heavy Rain words floating around, or the Monkey Island point and click to use objects in the future.
I wasn't saying that they shouldn't use game mechanics in a real world setting, I think it's funny too. It's just that if an episode features references largely from just one specific game, then a lot of the jokes fall flat to anyone who hasn't played that game. It was still a clever episode, I was just saying that personally I hope they won't write episodes around a single game too often.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Avaholic03 said:
Nikolaz72 said:
Avaholic03 said:
Soooo...I guess they're just throwing the whole story out the window and doing random episodes each week now? Not a fan of that, and judging from the only 10 comments so far, not many people are.
They are once a month. 20 Minute episodes. Theese 5 minute ones as fillers that comes out every week. Be patient. Its free. You dont have the liberty to whine.
That's the dumbest logic I've ever heard. Of course I have liberty to whine. How else are the producers of the show going to know if their audience is unhappy about something? You'd rather everyone just shut up and the people make shows in a vaccuum?

Thanks a lot for the update. That actually makes a lot of sense. Is there a place where that was communicated earlier? It seems like the production details of most shows on the Escapist (like why some shows are continued and others are canceled) are a mystery. Not that you have any control over that, but it would be nice if that information was available. I didn't mean to come off as a dick about it, it just seemed like a sudden change of direction from the type of show that I got attached to in the first few episodes.

I dont go on Zero Punctuation and whine about his video's being half as long as I want? There is a lot of difference between critiqe and general bitching. I believe it was stated on the first couple of video's that they would follow the pattern. Description and such, writing. Not in the video. Pretty good logic, complain when they take something away you had before. When they add something you dont like. Not. . When they add something extra on top of what you like and you dont enjoy that as much but it is extra content and there is something in the extra content that is not like the 'not' extra content so therefor you feel the need to complain.

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
I was really looking forward to a full episode this week. Gamers aren't going to forget about a game like LA Noire. Doomsday Arcade pulled out games that were both recent, a year or two old, or damn near ancient by our standards. I think we'll be more content if you stick to the schedule instead of shoot for the highest amount of relevance in the future.

Yankeedoodles

Sep 10, 2010
Topical and entertaining. Nicely done guys! Just two things I'd like to point out for the sake of constructive criticism: 1. It was hard to hear IT when they were talking at the table at the very beginning 2. It felt like the actor playing Minion was dropping the Minion act entirely and picking up an entirely different role rather than Minion taking on the role of a police officer. I presume y'all were going for the latter and the Minion actor could have portrayed that by retaining the slavic accent. Nothing dealing breaking that's just my 2 cents worth.

Fralf

Apr 30, 2009
hehe these are all well and good but when are we getting back to full episodes.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Woot! Another great episode PgG team! I really enjoyed this out, especially IT going a bit crazy at the end. :) It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for...

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
brownstudies said:
I wouldn't want you to do this too much, since it largely relies on the audience being familiar with a specific game to understand any of the humour.
That's the very definition of spoofing, and frankly one of the laziest forms of comedy. It relies both in the audience's previous knowledges and on previous external creations.