Problem-Solving Robot Swarm Goes After Our Books

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
There should be a sport between 2 teams of Swarmaniods.
Or a race! I can see many practical applications for these.

And its strange. Normally i fear things like this. But theyre so damn cute.

MagicMouse

Dec 31, 2009
This seems like a lot of work for what they do. It also seems like it could all be done by one robot, instead of ten. I don't really see the point.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
All I kept thinking was... they need gun bots to guard them.

Although it could be an alternative to expensive bomb bots, using somewhat cheaper ones in swarms.

IKWerewolf

Jan 13, 2011
Clever, it could useful for future dangerous business.

The question is what limitations are there?

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
You do know that the only way they would rebel and take us over is if we programmed them to do that, right? I'm getting a little tired of robot overlord bullshit, guys. Please stop now.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I think the magnetic features could be replaced with dart hook anchors of some sort, if the eyebots could somehow get enough leverage to penetrate the ceiling without shoving themselves downwards. The eyebots could also be equipped with gear that would allow them to figure out exactly what kind of material is in the ceiling and have several ways to affix themselves based on the situation.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Leaving aside any wisecracks about Skynet, the Matrix and other robots-will-kill-us scenarios, that was still a bit disturbing. I actually jumped a bit when that hand-bot shot the cord at the ceiling, and its climbing motion looked rather eerie, as pointed out in the article. What's more, the buzzing sound of the eye-bot made my skin crawl; it reminded me of a swarm of angry wasps (which I'm already scared of), only this thing... if it's programmed to find you, it will find you. Also, the creepy background music certainly didn't help.
At least the foot-bot was kind of... cute.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Catchy Slogan said:
Do they not know they're supposed to leave them with an in built weakness!?!?!?

How can we fight these things if they aren't beaten by stairs!?!
with a bigass flamethrower of course.
OT: well. maybe they will learn pacifism, so the takeover will have less casualties. hopefully. really though, science just seems to be going "ok so we cant do time-travel yet, the LHC is doing there thing... want to make robots that can learn? then we can teach them to build robots and our guns."

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Imagine how awesome they could look...matte black armour-plating anyone?
Hmm, now all we need is a construction/repair bot and we're all set to let them take over the world so we can sit at home and watch TV.

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
Is it just me, or is that a Dragonball book that they managed to pick up?

If it is, we won't just have to worry about them being able to track us everywhere. Soon they'll be firing Kamehameha waves at us too...

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
Honestly I'm tired of people saying that they're tired of the people who scream Skynet. I'm tired of both groups. Live and let live, people.

Anyway, this is pretty cool. I'd like a pet Swarmy.

Oddone2

Apr 21, 2009
Catchy Slogan said:
Do they not know they're supposed to leave them with an in built weakness!?!?!?

How can we fight these things if they aren't beaten by stairs!?!
I think it would make much more sense for them to program the three laws of robotics into all future robots and AI systems. That way as robots and computers become smarter, it would be inherently wrong for them to go against the command of a human (within reason), to say nothing of the impossibility of a robot uprising intent on killing of humans.

I think that comfortably answers most of the worries about robot domination. Even if domination occurred, it would only happen if the robots judged it to be best for HUMANS, not for robots.