Problems with the new doctor

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
Ravenbom said:
Also, I haven't forgiven the show for the Sonic Sunglasses yet.
I like to think of it as the Doctor having a bit of a mid-life crisis, he get a second set of regenerations so his recent brush with real death has made him feel very old, esspecially with that face, so he's been doing things to make himself cooler like play the guitar or the specs.

The doctor's always been known for silly attire, is it worse than the giant scarf, the question mark cane her stole from the riddler or the decorative celery?

Taggart3131

Aug 1, 2012
I honestly wouldn't mind if the next doctor is female as long as they don't keep bringing it up every few seconds. I mean the past doctors never had to keep saying or implying that hey I'm male so the writers should not do the same for her treat it like the same and it should not be a problem.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Taggart3131 said:
I honestly wouldn't mind if the next doctor is female as long as they don't keep bringing it up every few seconds. I mean the past doctors never had to keep saying or implying that hey I'm male so the writers should not do the same for her treat it like the same and it should not be a problem.
They didn't need to, though, as there was no reason to think he was elsewise, which isn't the case for a female doctor. Personally, I think there is a lot of room to explore gender issues if they had decent writers.

As it stands, I think aiming for not being consistently rubbish might be a more realistic goal, though getting rid of Moffatt means they might be able to raise the bar somewhere off the ground.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Hawki said:
-There is, to me, a sense of agenda behind it. I really don't want to dwell on that, but let's look at this from the opposite end of the spectrum - if you want more women in TV/film/whatever, is appropriating a previous character/franchise really the way to go about it? I'll be frank, if they outright killed the Doctor off or retired him, I'd be more reciprocal to a show with a new Time Lord, because at least said female Time Lord could stand or fall on her own merits. If you want more women in media, fine, but at least put in the legwork for it. Off the top of my head, Star Wars. Like her or loathe her, Rey, while having a lot of similarities with Luke, at least had the legwork put in for her, building a character from the ground up.
Each incarnation of the Doctor is, for many intents and purposes, a different character. They have different personality traits, different priorities, different likes and dislikes.

It's difficult to see that as "appropriating" an existing character, any more than the Doctor was "appropriated" by Scots when Tennant took the helm.

Hawki said:
Thing is, outside Doctor Who, I'm iffy of the precedent this sets. Doctor Who at least has some wriggle room for a gender flip, but when you start getting into characters that are definitively male (James Bond, Indiana Jones, etc.), what happens when the "SJWs" go for them and start demanding female takes? Thing is, I'd argue that James Bond and Indie have already had gender flips done right in the form of characters like Lara Croft and (to a lesser extent) Kate Archer. Female characters that take inspiration from male predecessors, but are still able to stand on their own legs. Or, in other words, the introduction of Lara Croft to the world didn't mean that the world stopped being able to enjoy Indiana Jones, whereas a 13th Doctor is mutually exclusive with a male one. So in the realm of agendas, no-one's served. Not the people who see the Doctor as male, nor the people who want a female Time Lord have her own show.
This merely sounds like the slippery slope fallacy. Why should a legacy character changing gender lead to non-legacy characters changing gender? They require entirely different processes and rationales. It is not the same thing.

Taggart3131 said:
Uhrm... who's "they"? The BBC introduced the role with a video [https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/video/2017/jul/16/bbc-reveals-jodie-whittaker-is-next-star-of-doctor-who-video] which contained no vocalised words at all, let alone "bringing it up every few seconds".

And she hasn't had a single episode yet, so it's something of an assumption to say she'll be "saying or implying that hey I'm female". The creators aren't doing that.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Who cares? Actors (and by extension, actresses)are only as good as the writing they're given. And while I like Moffat's work more than most, his attempts at writing female characters gave us Amy (a character who had no personality left by Season 6), Clara Oswinyourface-Oswald and Bill, who...okay, Bill was alright (aside from "Doctor What").

But Moffat's gone now, so that really shouldn't be an issue. This whole "MURRR, THE DOCTOR IS A WOMAN" argument (for lack of a better word) simply boils down to a bunch of 40-50 year olds (and the Alt-Right) having their comfort zone shifted. Any time a major shake-up in a long-running series happens, you will get those boring unpleasant sods who ***** because said series decided to try not stagnating.

Besides, it couldn't be any worse than the Sonic Sunglasses.

Apr 24, 2008
Has it aired yet? How was it?

I'm pretty sure most of the fandom doesn't dwell on everydayfeminism or returnofkings, and are instead sporting fairly milquetoast opinions with no perceivable agenda. Those obviously aren't the people that the media or anyone looking for lulz is going to focus on though.

The hope has got to be that it's good, right? Is it good?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
The episode? We won't see the 13th Doctor in an episode until this year's Christmas special, and won't see series 11 until 2018 at the earliest.

Unlike the Doctor, for us, time is linear.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
CaitSeith said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Some people get outraged over the supidest things.
CaitSeith said:
If it's bad is bad. If it's good is good. The doctor has already regenerated into a woman once, and it wasn't bad.
When did that happen?
In Doctor Who: The Curse of Fatal Death, a 1999 special self-parody made for charity.
Is that actually considered canon with the rest of the series? I don't really care either way, just curious if this is the equivalent of fan fiction, and not meant to be taken seriously, in so far as the events that take place.

Apr 24, 2008
Hawki said:
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
The episode? We won't see the 13th Doctor in an episode until this year's Christmas special, and won't see series 11 until 2018 at the earliest.

Unlike the Doctor, for us, time is linear.
Lol...

Then I guess I'll check back in 5 months to see what people are saying.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Happyninja42 said:
CaitSeith said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Some people get outraged over the supidest things.
CaitSeith said:
If it's bad is bad. If it's good is good. The doctor has already regenerated into a woman once, and it wasn't bad.
When did that happen?
In Doctor Who: The Curse of Fatal Death, a 1999 special self-parody made for charity.
Is that actually considered canon with the rest of the series? I don't really care either way, just curious if this is the equivalent of fan fiction, and not meant to be taken seriously, in so far as the events that take place.
If you consider anything that Moffat wrote for Dr. Who as cannon, then yes.

Dec 10, 2012
Silentpony said:
It was all artificial outrage and controversy. No one really cared at all, and to certain groups that's a problem.

They needed the clicks and traffic that outrage brings in, so they wrote dozens of articles about how us nerds are sexist again and blah blah blah. When in truth, no one cared.
Weeeell... Peter Davison, aka the Fifth Doctor did complain that this is a loss of a role model for young boys. So it's not all made up.

But I agree that the memes condemning sexist reactions appeared before there were any sexist reactions to react to.

So, it's dumb all around.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
I watched Doctor Who as a boy. I saw every episode with Tom Baker and Peter Davidson. I saw a little bit of Colin Baker and called it quits. I haven't watched an episode since (okay, I watched the freakin' scary ass angels episodes). For me the magic died with the actors. Tom Baker was wonderful.

I have frequently wondered what a woman Doctor would be like. So, I will indeed come back to the series for this, just to see. Marketing ploy or writer's epiphany--they got at least one person to come back to the series for a look.

Taggart3131, your post makes my brain hurt. I highly recommend some punctuation in there--maybe three or four dozen commas and periods. I almost drowned in your stream of consciousness.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
Sydney Newman, one of Doctor Who's original creators tried to get the Doctor recast as a woman back in the 80's. This idea is not new. As long as the writing and acting is good, everything will be fine.