Professor Layton Dev's Newest Game Looks Stunning on PS3

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Professor Layton Dev's Newest Game Looks Stunning on PS3

The charmingly animated Ninokuni: Another World, made by Professor Layton devs Level-5 and legendary anime creators Studio Ghibli, will be making its way to the beefy PS3 as well as the DS. Simply put, it's gorgeous.

[gametrailers=701064]

It's been quite a while - almost two years - since we first learned that legendary Japanese animation house Studio Ghibli was special 512MB DS cart [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91870-Studio-Ghibli-Talks-DS-Game-Project].

Apparently, it was so beefy that it couldn't just stay on the DS - Ninokuni is coming to the PS3, too. The trailer you see here puts the hand-animated Ghibli sequences side-by-side with the same scenes rendered in real-time on the PS3, and the console holds up surprisingly well.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that the combat looks like a fusion of classic JRPGs like Final Fantasy and a real-time action-based Pokemon.

So, let me get this straight. It's Final Fantasy Pokemon, developed by the makers of Professor Layton, with the art stylings of the renowned animation house behind movies like Princess Mononoke and My Neighbor Totoro? Oh, hell yes. Consider my interest officially piqued, guys.

If it comes out on both the DS and PS3 here in the States, I might even buy it twice.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
Dr. wonderful said:
Son of a *****, look how amazing it is.

I wonder why these guys don't make anymore movies? D:
Actually they are. Ponyo just came out not too long ago and their next movie is an adaptation of Mary Norton's The Borrowers.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-12-16/ghibli-next-film-adapts-mary-norton-the-borrowers

OP: I'm completely pumped for this game. I was sold on just a DS version but now I see this PS3 version is a must buy. Level-5 and Studio Ghibli is a combo that just can't go wrong.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
We can has North American Release Date Plz?

Regardless a new question is now raised... which version will be better as the DS version has that massive Book of Spells that comes with it and has been "announced" a lot longer...

Also I hope this doesn't take as long to come out in NA as White Knight (Level 5's LAST game) did.

SonOfIkaros

Oct 6, 2009
I don't know, the visuals definitely looked stunning, but what we saw of the combat looked rather uninviting to me (not a big fan of JRPG-style turn-based-combat). But I'll keep my eyes on this, maybe I'll like the finished project more.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Arisato-kun said:
Dr. wonderful said:
Son of a *****, look how amazing it is.

I wonder why these guys don't make anymore movies? D:
Actually they are. Ponyo just came out not too long ago and their next movie is an adaptation of Mary Norton's The Borrowers.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-12-16/ghibli-next-film-adapts-mary-norton-the-borrowers

OP: I'm completely pumped for this game. I was sold on just a DS version but now I see this PS3 version is a must buy. Level-5 and Studio Ghibli is a combo that just can't go wrong.
They did Ponyo?

Because I came to find ponyo from this video....

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/26272

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Not impressed, seen a lot of good looking cell shaded stuff before.
The gameplay is a billion times more important anyway.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Ok, now the only info I care about: Will it see an European release?

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
Okay, I'm cheating because I didn't watch the video and I can't even pronounce the title of the upcoming game, but (as ignorant and shortsighted as this might make me sound) if Studio Ghibli is involved in making it, it must be good. I know they make movies, not games, but every movie they've made has been awesome.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
While the animations are impressive, the gameplay seems to be a mix of Pokémon and Heroes of Might and Magic. While both of those franchises are good in their own right, I am not sure a combination is going to pan out just as well. =/

Oh well, I guess we will just have to wait and see. I don't plan on buying DS titles until the 3DS is released anyway.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I might just have to get both versions. Looks absolutely great and I'm excited... If only I could read what it was saying...

elcamino41383

Mar 24, 2009
Game actually looks like a lot of fun. Though I personally can't say I'm a fan of this animated company, its not so much the animation, I just found that the stories were a bit off for my taste, I can't really explain why, just doesn't sit well with me. The animation has always looked top notch however.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
THAT is what POKEMON should have been!!!!
Pay ATTENTION NINTENDO!!! LOOK AT THIS.. the gauntlet has been FASTBALLED into your face!
You'd better scrap whatever lame remake of another tired pokemon game you were planning to shovel down our throats and get to work making it like THIS or watch as Pikachu and the rest are put down once and for all.

This game will be on my pre order list, my pre-pre order list, in fact, HERE Sony, take my money now because I WILL own that game the SECOND it hits stores.

Viruzzo

Jun 10, 2009
Wow, that sure looks great (and I would expect no less from Studio Ghibli)... Still, I hope it's more interesting gameplay-wise than the average recent JRPGs: I sincerely couldn't stand to finish one in the last 10 years, too much endless grinding and senseless stories.
BTW why does everyone think of Pokèmon? It seems to me that the "pets" are fixed and are actually the character's "avatars" in combat (after all, they're kids), exactly like Blue Dragon, or maybe Persona.