Programmer Creates Kinect Lightsaber Hack

kahlzun

Sep 9, 2009
EHKOS said:
Now hold on, a weapon like that is not out of reach. It could very well be made....just the light wouldn't stop until it hit something...
If you read the expanded universe books, they talk about how a 'lightsaber' has nothing really to do with light, it's all about tighly-folded force barriers, like the deflector shields around a ship.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Pretty cool, and like Mr Westbrook said - I find the pace at which these mods are being released to be amazing.

I can't wait for the other uses people can find for the Kinect.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
kahlzun said:
EHKOS said:
Now hold on, a weapon like that is not out of reach. It could very well be made....just the light wouldn't stop until it hit something...
If you read the expanded universe books, they talk about how a 'lightsaber' has nothing really to do with light, it's all about tighly-folded force barriers, like the deflector shields around a ship.
Oh, I always assumed it was just the force crystal that makes the light stronger.

kahlzun

Sep 9, 2009
EHKOS said:
kahlzun said:
EHKOS said:
Oh, I always assumed it was just the force crystal that makes the light stronger.
Then again, I'm known for not always taking away the same interpretation as most people.

For example, when I heard the whole 'midichlorian' thing, I assumed that they were simply attracted to strong force people, rather than being the source of the power as most people seem to have taken it..

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Wow, that response time is actually worse than non-plus Wii. These aren't the droids I'm looking for.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Zeeky_Santos said:
Pet Peeve: People who call modifications "hacks". *shudder*
Given the amount of time the Kinect has been out, it's been thrown together fairly quickly and is kind of clever. It qualifies.

The Meaning of 'Hack' [http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/meaning-of-hack.html]

Psychemaster

Everything in Moderation
Aug 18, 2008
Jandau said:
Psychemaster said:
Jandau said:
Funny how random people on the net manage to make better use of the Kinect technology than a multibillion dollar corporation...
Well, random people on the internet aren't bound by the need for multi-million dollar budgets to build teams to write and distrbute their software - so there's far more room for experimentation.

It's the same reason that indie devs can make more unorthodox games - they don't stand to lose as much from failure as those big AAA developers. :)
But this modification didn't require multi-million dollar budget. It required one guy. That's all it took.
Yes, but it also is not the kind of thing that you would see sitting on a game store shelf for £40... it lacks any sort of gameplay elements and the polish consumers expect to see in products they're being sold.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Psychemaster said:
Jandau said:
Psychemaster said:
Jandau said:
Funny how random people on the net manage to make better use of the Kinect technology than a multibillion dollar corporation...
Well, random people on the internet aren't bound by the need for multi-million dollar budgets to build teams to write and distrbute their software - so there's far more room for experimentation.

It's the same reason that indie devs can make more unorthodox games - they don't stand to lose as much from failure as those big AAA developers. :)
But this modification didn't require multi-million dollar budget. It required one guy. That's all it took.
Yes, but it also is not the kind of thing that you would see sitting on a game store shelf for £40... it lacks any sort of gameplay elements and the polish consumers expect to see in products they're being sold.
True, but Kinect doesn't have the functionality that one guy managed to make in his spare time. And you can't deny that detecting peripherals would allow for more variety in Kinect games.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
kahlzun said:
EHKOS said:
kahlzun said:
EHKOS said:
Then again, I'm known for not always taking away the same interpretation as most people.

For example, when I heard the whole 'midichlorian' thing, I assumed that they were simply attracted to strong force people, rather than being the source of the power as most people seem to have taken it..
Haha, I think that too. Just the more powerful you are the more they like you.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
God damn, the kinect technology is freakin' awesome!

Take notes Micorsoft and Lucasarts.