Project Eternity gets a name | early gameplay trailer

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
Obsidian released a gameplay trailer for their rather profitable kickstarter.

They've also named their game with a title: Pillars of Eternity. I totally won't get this confused with the project name at some point.

I am not savvy enough with the forum codes to link any videos that are not on youtube, so I will instead link the original dev post on Obsidian's site.

[link]http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64737-update-69-pillars-of-eternity[/link]
EDIT found youtube version. was there all along. <spoiler=Pillars of Eternity gameplay teaser><youtube=HKoDTzea79Y>

Trying not to get too hyped, but just from the gameplay and art, this looks like it could be amazing. The movement seems like it won't be quite as slow as icewind dale and baldurs gate, which is a good thing, i think. I find myself becoming very excited, despite my better judgement.

Anyone else excited about this? dissapointed? ambivalent?

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
I'm excited to have another Obsidian game on the market. They have always been great at providing wonderful RPG moments in well-designed RPG settings.

I'm also worried to have another Obsidian game on the market. I know the trailers look great and seem fluid but this is Obsidian we are talking about. They are amazing writers so long as that writing is English and not Code.

Sep 14, 2009
very excited! (cautiously, but optimistically) i liked everything i have seen so far so we'll just have to see when any real length of gameplay comes out

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
Vern5 said:
I'm excited to have another Obsidian game on the market. They have always been great at providing wonderful RPG moments in well-designed RPG settings.

I'm also worried to have another Obsidian game on the market. I know the trailers look great and seem fluid but this is Obsidian we are talking about. They are amazing writers so long as that writing is English and not Code.

I agree completely that Obsidians great history of fantastic writing is not supplemented by a history of efficient and bug free coding.

Hopefully, they've learned from their mistakes, and/or this game and its engine prove to be less of a challenge to code than KOTOR II, Masquerade or a few other 'technically' challenged games of theirs. Still, they usually get to be at least semi-playable after a few patches.

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
I'd like to be excited because I love this type of game, but... it's Obsidian. Everything I've ever played from them has been an absolute mess, and Alpha Protocol was laughably bad. I'll keep an eye on the game though.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I really REALLY want this! Ive recently gotten back into these old school D&D CRPGs so this looks amazing.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Verzin said:
Vern5 said:

I agree completely that Obsidians great history of fantastic writing is not supplemented by a history of efficient and bug free coding.

Hopefully, they've learned from their mistakes, and/or this game and its engine prove to be less of a challenge to code than KOTOR II, Masquerade or a few other 'technically' challenged games of theirs. Still, they usually get to be at least semi-playable after a few patches.
The have bugs because the publishers usually don't give them enough time. Now they aren't working under a publisher so they can actually have time to iron out all the bugs.

nogitsune

Aug 15, 2013
The_Lost_King said:
Verzin said:
Vern5 said:

The have bugs because the publishers usually don't give them enough time. Now they aren't working under a publisher so they can actually have time to iron out all the bugs.
Well that depends really on how they manage the funds that they got through Kickstarter and other sources. Obsidian's problem is feature creep, they try to put so many cool things in their games and then find that the time and or money isn't there and are forced to do a rush job at the end. I do hope that they learned from the past mistakes, they've been allowed far more than most companies that often go belly up for less. Still, I will have an eye out, probably watch Giant Bomb's quicklook and Total Biscuit's WTF and/or a lets play to be sure.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
nogitsune said:
The_Lost_King said:
Verzin said:
Vern5 said:

Well that depends really on how they manage the funds that they got through Kickstarter and other sources. Obsidian's problem is feature creep, they try to put so many cool things in their games and then find that the time and or money isn't there and are forced to do a rush job at the end. I do hope that they learned from the past mistakes, they've been allowed far more than most companies that often go belly up for less. Still, I will have an eye out, probably watch Giant Bomb's quicklook and Total Biscuit's WTF and/or a lets play to be sure.
I believe in Obsidian, even if they release broken games, they usually fixed when they can. So if is utterly broken at first give them a month or two and the game will be mostly playable. Plus as I already back it, so I technicly already own a copy.

Captcha: In a box
No captcha I didn't back up enough to get a physical copy, so I won't be getting in a box.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
nogitsune said:
Obsidian have made mistakes worse than companies who've gone belly-up, but there also done amazing things that those companies didn't do either. There's a reason why they're one of the last truly independent AA studios and the Alpha Protocol metacritic user rating sums it up pretty well.

Most failed indepedents made 7.5 rated games where most people rate them as a 7.5. It doesn't do awful things, but there's literal no reason to play those games unless you've run out of all the better ones. Whereas Obsidian make a 7.5 game where half the scores are people giving it 10/10 being balanced out by the people giving it 0. It's a flawed game with loads of mistakes but it can also get an experience that you can't get anywhere else. There's not an insignificant number of people who hold Fallout New Vegas as the greatest RPG yet made

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
I think this game will have less bugs in it - firstly it's not 3D so it looks like it's going to be waaay easier to code and stuff without a physics engine - much simpler so they focus on other aspects of the game.

Also it's self published so they can perfect it and get it out - I think the game will slip to 2015 most likely but to get a perfect game I'm cool with that.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Vern5 said:

Eh, Obsidian are good coders, they just tend to get badly rushed and/or suck at estimating how long it will take them. Look at New Vegas, barely playable when it came out, but the bugs are barely noticeable now (compare to Skyrim still having game breaking bugs because the fucking *door* in the final dungeon doesn't work reliably). I expect the game to be buggy at launch (or just late) but fine a few months later.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Now that I've actually watched the trailer: Holy crap those are good looking sprites. Also who did the music?

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
I missed out completely on western RPGs of the Baldur's Gate era (I didn't have a PC for a long time so tended to stick exclusively to JRPGs) and recently I've been thinking about dipping my toe in those waters. This looks like it might be a good place to start.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Mark Morgan, composer on Shattered Steel (Bioware's first ever game), Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape Torment, and every Kickstartered game ever.

Also, the game doesn't use sprites. Though the environments are totally 2D, all characters are 3D models.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Looks exactly like what I'd hoped it would, I have high hopes for this.

Just seeing an rpg done from an isometric perspective again gives me chills. When's the last time that was a thing in rpg's? Eight years ago? Damn.

Requia said:
Now that I've actually watched the trailer: Holy crap those are good looking sprites. Also who did the music?
Hilariously enough, to save money the music was written by Josh Sawyer (Or was it Chris Avellone? One of those two) and the chorus is done by Obsidian staff.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
endtherapture said:
I think this game will have less bugs in it - firstly it's not 3D so it looks like it's going to be waaay easier to code and stuff without a physics engine - much simpler so they focus on other aspects of the game.

Also it's self published so they can perfect it and get it out - I think the game will slip to 2015 most likely but to get a perfect game I'm cool with that.
Oh yeah, they're totally going to miss their release date =D I would almost be suspicious if they didn't.

Hopefully the bugs are going to be less obnoxious, I think they're going to have a backers beta right? So that should help. I'm more worried about the level they overestimate on producing the content because they can probably only afford to delay for so long

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
Requia said:
I LOVE the art style they have going there. Agree completely the sprites/models look fantastic!

I 'think' it was Adam Brennecke who did the music. I could be wrong though. I know he did some of the earlier music in their videos showcasing it.

EDIT: looks like I was wrong. an about post had it:
Mark Morgan, composer on Shattered Steel (Bioware's first ever game), Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape Torment, and every Kickstartered game ever.
Also, the game doesn't use sprites. Though the environments are totally 2D, all characters are 3D models.

Here is a link to the post he wrote about what they're going for with the music. Seems fairly detailed. [link]http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60901-update-14-the-music-of-project-eternity/[/link]

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Grace_Omega said:
I missed out completely on western RPGs of the Baldur's Gate era (I didn't have a PC for a long time so tended to stick exclusively to JRPGs) and recently I've been thinking about dipping my toe in those waters. This looks like it might be a good place to start.
well if you are interested in these d20 based RPGs, GoG has alot of them on sale at the moment.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Verzin said:

Here is a link to the post he wrote about what they're going for with the music. Seems fairly detailed. [link]http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60901-update-14-the-music-of-project-eternity/[/link]
Not exactly, the game uses 2D sprites that were made by rendering 3D models (true for the entire game really), presumably to cut down on the multiplicative cost of sprites, but apparently it also looks hella good.