Prometheus teaser

Dec 3, 2011
For those of you who have seen the teaser trailer for Ridley Scott's Prometheus; what were your thoughts? Do you see a connection to Alien? Do you think Ridley Scott could make the film of his career?

I am fucking drooling over the film, since Alien is one of my favourite movies of all time. I think we'll be returning to LV-426, and the Space Jockey will be involved somehow.

And Michael Fassbender as an android? Perfect casting!

Mindless1

Feb 29, 2012
The first thing I noticed was that room that had a bunch of rectangular paralelograms in it, and the spacing looked like it should have been the egg room that we encounter the first face hugger.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I think I read somewhere though that Ridley Scott claimed that Prometheus isn't actually part of the Alien universe. I'll have to see if I can dig up the interview.

Frankly, after having seen the trailers, I think that's BS. It looks like it's very clearly part of the same universe. But I guess time will tell.

EDIT:
I miss-remembered what was said. It's in the same universe, but isn't really a prequel. It takes place before Alien, but it has no actual connection to Alien.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Totally connected to Alien, even the text's font!

I'm hyped, it might not be the best film ever but I'm certainly going to watch it in the cinema. That's high-praise from me as I'll only go see a deserving film, which only happens a handful of times a year.

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
Ok, this has bothered me in several si-fi movies before...
Why name your project or whatever else after someone in mythology that famously fucked up or their story ended badly?
Prometheus was the guy who was sentenced to an eternity of having his liver being eaten by an eagle and then grow back, repeating forever while he was tied to a rock.
Seriously, future humanity? Why not name it Icarus while you're at it and send team to investigate the sun?
/rantover

...probably going to see it, despite the dumb name for a project/space shuttle.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Popadoo said:
Ok, this has bothered me in several si-fi movies before...
Why name your project or whatever else after someone in mythology that famously fucked up or their story ended badly?
Prometheus was the guy who was sentenced to an eternity of having his liver being eaten by an eagle and then grow back, repeating forever while he was tied to a rock.
Seriously, future humanity? Why not name it Icarus while you're at it and send team to investigate the sun?
/rantover

...probably going to see it, despite the dumb name for a project/space shuttle.
And he was so sentenced because he brought the secret of fire down from Mount Olympus and gave it to lowly humans, revolutionizing mankind.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The only solid linked connection I saw in that Prometheis is a preclude to Alien was in one of the trailer there was that huge dead alien thing chest started to move. That dead alien was also seen in Alien when they found the eggs.

Yeah I am hype for it but sadly I am spending my cinema ticket toward Avengers but I will try to scratch up some cash to watch it.

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
CynderBloc said:
Emm, it's called Prometheus because he was the one who stole fire from Zeus and gave it to mortal men. Being tied to the rock was his punishment for that

Prometheus stealing fire from Zeus - Men stealing the Alien species from the Space Jockey's species?

You would assume that their punishment would be death, considering that no matter what Sir Ridley says, it is a prequel, and apart from the Company, nobody knows about the ship or the Alien in the original
Even so, that didn't turn out so well, did it? They should name it after the guy who Prometheus GAVE the fire to... like... Bob? Bob the Firekeeper?

VincentR

Apr 17, 2011
Wait, wait, wait. So now Ridley is saying that Prometheus is NOT a prequel to Alien? Because that was the impression I was under, and I am now much less excited about the movie if that is the case. Hmm... who am I kidding - it will probably still be amazing, and this just means I get to go in WITHOUT knowing what to expect. It would be the first time in a while that I went into a movie without knowing what was going to happen or what the general plot of the movie was.

While I'm on that note: has anyone else noticed that? It seems like lately all commercials/trailers for movies explicitly spoil the movie beyond belief in the 30 or 60 seconds they have to do so. Meh, maybe I'm just finally old enough to actually pay attention to the trailers.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Tuesday Night Fever said:
I think I read somewhere though that Ridley Scott claimed that Prometheus isn't actually part of the Alien universe. I'll have to see if I can dig up the interview.

Frankly, after having seen the trailers, I think that's BS. It looks like it's very clearly part of the same universe. But I guess time will tell.

EDIT:
I miss-remembered what was said. It's in the same universe, but isn't really a prequel. It takes place before Alien, but it has no actual connection to Alien.
to be fair to you, Ridley Scott did indeed say Prometheus isn't part of the same universe, but it was backtracked.

I'm looking forward to Prometheus, Ridley Scott is after all the most technically accomplished director ever.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
He did mention there would be no aliens, facehuggers or what have you. At least, not as you know them. It is definitely set in the same universe and while it isn't really a prequel per say, it will explain some things like the Space Jockey. I'm not watching any more teasers/trailers, I've already been spoiled >.>.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Samus Aran but a man said:
Do you see a connection to Alien?

Of course I bloody do. Want to know what tipped me off? The big bloody spaceship that they found in Alien.

:D

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Oh yeah didn't that have a trailer specifically designed to say "hey we're gonna release a trailer and it's gonna be awesome, so get hyped to watch the actual trailer"

As for the actual film... Eh i've never been an Aliens fan. I'll probably watch it, unless a certain one of my friends decides it looks too much like a horror film so we're gonna skip it.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
As for the actual film... Eh i've never been an Aliens fan. I'll probably watch it, unless a certain one of my friends decides it looks too much like a horror film so we're gonna skip it.
I'm fairly certain it'll be SOME sort of horror fillum.