Protagonists you hate

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Gatx said:
Fasckira said:
Diablo2000 said:
That boy from Evangelion... I couldn't finish watching because of him.
He's so annoying that makes me want to kill innocent bystanders...
Agreed, there was so many moments where you cant help but think "Get over it already". I appreciate thats part of his character and if anything its a great portrayal of what happens when you load all that stress onto a kid but even still. Gets frustrating after the first few episodes, desensitize already!
The shit he goes through would make a grown man break down, and he's going through it at his age, and actually succeeding, I think he's allowed a whine from time to time, or all the time rather.
Yeah, I understand that - still doesn't make him likeable or any more enjoyable to watch though.

Doktor Sleepless

Jan 4, 2011
Don Savik said:
Launcelot111 said:
As for one of my most hated protagonists, its Dr.Who. He's not the main reason I hate the show, but he stands out. He's another character like Starbuck, who I can assume only gets away with bullshit because the fans love them. Maybe its been better without David Tennant, but I can't stand him as a character. He abuses his powers like a child and commits casual murder without remorse. How anyone can like him is beyond me.

edit: oh yea, and Dr.Who is a massive pedophile. Does nobody realize he is like, 1000+ years old? Guy gets around.
Quite a lot of episodes have focussed on his power and responsibility and how flippant he is with them. And yeah I wasn't a huge Tennant fan either, I prefer Smith. P.S. thats not how pedophilia works.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
Doktor Sleepless said:
Don Savik said:
Launcelot111 said:
As for one of my most hated protagonists, its Dr.Who. He's not the main reason I hate the show, but he stands out. He's another character like Starbuck, who I can assume only gets away with bullshit because the fans love them. Maybe its been better without David Tennant, but I can't stand him as a character. He abuses his powers like a child and commits casual murder without remorse. How anyone can like him is beyond me.

edit: oh yea, and Dr.Who is a massive pedophile. Does nobody realize he is like, 1000+ years old? Guy gets around.
Quite a lot of episodes have focussed on his power and responsibility and how flippant he is with them. And yeah I wasn't a huge Tennant fan either, I prefer Smith. P.S. thats not how pedophilia works.
My apologies, I'm tired and not sure what word I should've used.

Doktor Sleepless

Jan 4, 2011
Kaleion said:
I also didn't like Sheppard, none of the choices available made him likeable for me so I just went ahead and made him the biggest asshole possible, and then never played Mass Effect again, seriously I hate you Sheppard, I'm not even sure why but I do.

I'm pretty sure there's more as I hate way too many things, but I can only think of that for now, must be because I actually liked Custom Robo and the crew from ME so it hurts me more, but really real reason ME didn't work for me was because actually playing it was so boring, the cutscenes were the most entertaining part but since I hate Sheppard I wasn't going to sit through that.
There is one option that makes Shephard a lot more likeable. Turn him into a woman. I'm serious, its really weird but stuff that in male sheps voice sounds weak or whiny or douchey (the 3 choices) comes across a lot better from fem shep. I'm not sure if its the better voice actor or because we're less used to strong female characters, but I can't stand playing mass effect with male shep.

edit:Still haven't worked out how to edit a quote properly...

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
bluerocker said:

Oooh, a classic case of "Why the fuck did they replace my protagonist"? The protagonist to the sequel of Drakengard, this little annoying butt monkey does nothing but whine and complain to every occurrence that happens, and even does the exact opposite of what the heroes were doing in the first game. After playing a badass who did not even bat an eye at what he had to do for the sake of Good and World saving; this is a very jarring transition. It's pretty bad when even the characters in the game are poking fun at your protagonist's complaints.

I would give a few more details, but that would include plot; and I'd hate to spoil that...
It's Drakengard 2, 98% of the escapist havn't even played it let alone the first game so..i doubt the spoilers would matter.

But, thank you so VERY much for reminding me of that little brown haired dragon shit Nowe. It's bad enough that every single shred of common sense has been forcibly pushed out of this guys brain and been instilled with a more whiney and stupid version of a hybridized Vaan/Tidus personality, leaving him only the knowledge of Dragons and how to use a sword. But the worst part? Everything he does, and do i mean EVERYTHING, just makes shit worse. His reasons for teaming up with the series big bad are outright fucking flimsy as hell at best, and only helped along by the fact his former boss is a 4channer before there was even a 4chan (Aka. Doing this shit for the lulz).

Still, it's made even more jarring because we our last protagonist was literally made by a design board that took every existing J-RPG hero archtype personality and trait and decided to do the exact opposite. What we got was an Anti-hero who just wanted to kill shit and it just so happened the big-bads were on his shit-list. For him, Saving the world was absolutely secondary and i loved him for it.
But you know the best thing about Caim? As much of a bastard as he was (And, let's be honest, it's why we love the guy!), the guy at-least had the decency of being consistent something Nowe was sorely lacking in.

So in short: If you want a good, interesting and refreshing J-RPG protagonist. Don't go with Nowe, go with this guy instead:

Jeod9000

Oct 28, 2010
Fasckira said:
Gatx said:
Fasckira said:
Diablo2000 said:
That boy from Evangelion... I couldn't finish watching because of him.
He's so annoying that makes me want to kill innocent bystanders...
Agreed, there was so many moments where you cant help but think "Get over it already". I appreciate thats part of his character and if anything its a great portrayal of what happens when you load all that stress onto a kid but even still. Gets frustrating after the first few episodes, desensitize already!
The shit he goes through would make a grown man break down, and he's going through it at his age, and actually succeeding, I think he's allowed a whine from time to time, or all the time rather.
Yeah, I understand that - still doesn't make him likeable or any more enjoyable to watch though.
Shinji Ikari, my hate for him could blot out the sun and shroud the earth in darkness

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
angry_flashlight said:
40k: Kaldor fucking Draigo. Mary Sue^10,000,000 with this one. Wait he did what? Okay I guess that could feasibly happe- Wait what's this about Mortarion? Yeah, no. He can't do that by himself unless he's the warp-dammed Emperor and even then, that's no cake-walk. WAAAAAAAAAARDDD!!!! For those who don't know, Kaldor Draigo carved the name of his master into the heart of the mother of all Badguys' heart which also happens to be surrounded by what amounts to hyper-infectious super space AIDS. Draigo did not become infected despite literally being inside corruption and disease itself. This is after he kills/defeats 7 Greater Daemons of More disease and nastiness (if Mortarion keeps similar company to Angron that is, which seems likely). And he destroys literally impossible architecture despite it being, well, impossible to understand. So... much... Derp.
It's shit like this why I quit 40k tabletop gaming. I still play the computer games and read the books, but ever since "He Who Shall Not Be Named" took over... I did not think that something I loved so much for so long could be destroyed so quickly.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Vault101 said:
JesterRaiin said:
BTW : It's possible that we hate some people/characters because we see ourselves in them, or rather some flaws of our own characters. ;]
im nothing like nathan drank so I doubt that
It's very hard to judge oneself. You should ask other people if they perceive some similarities between you two. ;]

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Thrall from World of Warcraft, blizzard's darling little character. "Why do you have to be so perfect I'm so sick of hearing about you oh your not going to quit whining and being some mmo super hero and get shoved down my throat?"

Uninstalls cancels subscription and quits Thrall's story err I mean world of warcraft forever.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Doktor Sleepless said:
Kaleion said:
I also didn't like Sheppard, none of the choices available made him likeable for me so I just went ahead and made him the biggest asshole possible, and then never played Mass Effect again, seriously I hate you Sheppard, I'm not even sure why but I do.

I'm pretty sure there's more as I hate way too many things, but I can only think of that for now, must be because I actually liked Custom Robo and the crew from ME so it hurts me more, but really real reason ME didn't work for me was because actually playing it was so boring, the cutscenes were the most entertaining part but since I hate Sheppard I wasn't going to sit through that.
There is one option that makes Shephard a lot more likeable. Turn him into a woman. I'm serious, its really weird but stuff that in male sheps voice sounds weak or whiny or douchey (the 3 choices) comes across a lot better from fem shep. I'm not sure if its the better voice actor or because we're less used to strong female characters, but I can't stand playing mass effect with male shep.

edit:Still haven't worked out how to edit a quote properly...
Don't worry I still caught it, hmm well I did see my friend play as femshep and I don't remember her bothering me, and maybe the disconnect from the gender will better translate the fact that it's not me and I won't be so bothered by the choices, so I can definitely see how it could work, I may give that a try, though I'm assuming that will do nothing to enhance my enjoyment of the shooting sections, which I very much disliked.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
Commander Shepherd says such moronic things sometimes, whatever I choose.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I just cannot stand some anime protaganists. For example the main character in most Gundam animes or that kid from Evangelion.

I also agree that I was rooting for the humans to win in avatar.

Havegun

Sep 26, 2011
thebobmaster said:
Yes, I'm sure. Cole was not perfect. Hell, the entire last act of the game was him owning up to his issues. Jack, though...AGH!
Fair enough, I guess I never really got that whole 'perfect'-vibe from Jack though. Depends what you mean by perfect, of course, but...
I mean, he basically tortures Monroe and more or less leaves him to die. Monroe wasn't exactly a good guy, sure, but still. Torture is pretty much -the- grey area, isn't it?

Oh, and for the topic: I guess it's more the actor(s), but eh: Anakin Skywalker.

Captcha: i'm sorry dave - Oh shi...

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
I've always really disliked Ryu, though I'm more and more coming to the realization that maybe we're not supposed to like him, and that maybe he's not the protagonist of the Street Fighter universe (inasmuch as it has a narrative at all).

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
FelixG said:
Also, I am a firm believer that whoever wrote Lymle from the Star ocean: Last Hope game should be dragged out into a street, beaten and shot.

She is worse than Navi from Zelda, and I shit you not.

I honestly would take Lymle over that stupid cat girl Meracle, I found Lymle and Faize's interactions pretty funny. Meracle just got on my tits.

OT:Meracle,nuff said.

Others: Yuzuki(Hell Girl Season 3), her first mission as the Hell girl, she fucks it up and nullifies everything the season had being building up to just to restore the Status quo.

Yuuki(Vampire Knight) A useless girl who can't defend her self despite being trained to do so,constantly being saved by her love interest or brother.

OutcastBOS

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2009
KRATOS
I am not going to go into why I hate him again, I said enough.
But a close second is Renegade Commander Shepard. I can understand being a dick may sometimes be the only thing that can get the job done, but RenShep isn't just a dick, they're just...a sadist idiot. I lost ALL respect for a RenShep when I saw what they can do in ME3, and I'll NEVER do a Renegade playthrough again. then again, I don't like doing a lot of evil options in a lot of games where you can be evil.