Protagonists you hate

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
Jack Carver from FarCry is an empty headed tool, and I kind of enjoyed the number of deaths inflicted on him.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
There are two that I can think of at the moment-

Micah from Fire Emblem Radience Dawn. I hated her view on Ike from the previous Fire Emblem game, acting as if her nation are the victims. Ok the civialian are but not their army since they're the one who invaded the other nation in the first place! Not once did I saw her admitting her nation fault considering they are racist toward those animal hybrid people.

Zael from The Last Story. He was so bland and uncompelling for an hero of a RPG game. He alot worse at the whole romance stuff aswell.

Adapth

Jan 5, 2012
Harry Potter.

Loved the first 4 books, skimmed the 5th, never got through the last 2. He was fine as an 11 year old running around solving mysteries, but after Voldemort's return (I refuse to believe that is a spoiler) and the escalation of the conflict he just never turned into a credible hero. He was brave and a good flier, but possessed no other noteworthy characteristics. He was worse than ineffectual, he was boring.

At least with a character like Shinji from NGE, he's supposed to be a subversion of the traditional hero. Caim and Alex Mercer are some of my favorite "heroes", because they're clearly psychopaths, and that's interesting. We're supposed to accept Harry as a hero in a more classical sense, but he never lives up to it and is boring as hell.

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
Any protagonist that is constantly trying to tell people that science is evil and unnatural and... shit. I can't remember any specific examples, but there's probably at least a couple of them. Well, yeah, the Na'vi are pretty close. So I'm going to go with them.

Captcha: which does a vegetarian eat? Answers include cabbage, airplane, people and FRANCE.

gwilym101

Sep 12, 2011
James Heller from Prototype 2. He's dull, cliched and stupid. Mercer was much more intresting even if the amnesia thing was a cliche as well.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
FantomOmega said:
Snow is as single minded as they get and completely oblivious to a certain woman telling him (with her FIST) to don't even bother being "friendly" with her, the idiot is always talking about being a hero like he's still a kid
I am honest to science baffled by the fact that so many people are completely oblivious as to why he acts like that, even though the game basically shoves it into your face. Did you not see him break down near the ending of the game? It's really not difficult to link the placement of that scene and his attitude throughout the game to figure out why he says and does some of the things he says/does.

I don't like any FF13 character, but there is no doubt in my mind that Snow is probably the nicest/best one out of the shitty, gloomy, self-centered bunch, even if he's a bit dumb. He's oddly enough one of the (perhaps) two characters that aren't completely one-dimensional, despite his understandable single-mindedness.

OT:

I hate Fang, Lightning, Hope and Vanille from FF13.

- Fang, because of her single-minded attitude, her occasional jump into retardation and her moronic actions during the final boss fight.
- While I understand Hope's hatred for Snow, even though Snow did nothing wrong (misunderstanding, basically), it doesn't remotely justify his fucking frustrating actions throughout the game. The fact that he's a generic, one-dimensional pussy doesn't help.
- Vanille, because she's one of the most annoying RPG character I have ever seen. Her voice, her attitude, her walking, her face. Everything about her seems to have the sole purpose to annoy gamers.

But the worst of all of them is Lightning. She acts like a complete ***** against every single person on the team, even the ones that don't deserve it. She tries her very best to be unhelpful at every turn, blames all her own mistakes on (everyone, but especially) Snow and violently takes it out on him as well. She's also probably one of the most useless characters in every way (plot-wise and whatnot), which is surprising seeing as she's the main fucking character. She has no redeeming qualities whatsoever for the first 90% of the game or so. Only then, when she finally figures out that her shitty attitude towards snow and others was completely misplaced. Seriously, fucking TIDUS/CLOUD is like the best written character of all time compared to this putrid mess.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
WolfThomas said:
I can't stand Ted for HIMYM. He had potential early on. When he decides to actually be friends with Robin after their dating falls through I though was a great character moment. But as it goes on I get more and more "meh" about him. Whenever he complains about anything, he's a handsome architect living in New York who dates dozens upon dozens of women, his life is so hard.

Not helped that all of the other characters are funnier and more interesting.
Another reason for me was this past season ending. Ted supposed to be this nice guy that we all root for, but he's just selfish and ends up ruining a marriage and leading a girl on because he thinks it will make him "happy". Add on that we're probably going to have at least 2 more seasons for a show that stopped being interesting a while ago, and I can't stand Ted

Another example for me is Eragon. I know they're not very great books, but every page that I read of him and those damned elves made me want to destroy something

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
Hate is an emotion I tend to avoid. Simply because it tends to summon pre-sapient instinct which one has no power over.

I'm struggling to keep those monsters away, whenever I watch any protagonist do something "funny" in Family Guy.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Mobile Suit Gundam 00.
God, I hated those characters with a passion. Spoiled kids with huge weapons of mass destruction, the moral fiber of an anime angst and enough deus ex machinas to go to the sun and back. They spend the entire first season trying to "end war" by killing thousands of people and nobody bats an eye at the irony.
I ended up rooting for all the other factions which, of course, never stood a chance because they are not the main characters...

On videogames, I hate Dante. He tries too hard to be "cool" and "awesome", but it sounds it was written by a 12 years old, and is not even ironic about it...

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Donald and Goofy from Kingdom Hearts. GET YOUR HUMOR OUT OF MY SERIOUS GAMES. Any lines said in either of those characters' voices makes me want to kill something. Kingdom Hearts would have been amazing, had it not been full of Disney.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
WolfThomas said:
I can't stand Ted for HIMYM. He had potential early on. When he decides to actually be friends with Robin after their dating falls through I though was a great character moment. But as it goes on I get more and more "meh" about him. Whenever he complains about anything, he's a handsome architect living in New York who dates dozens upon dozens of women, his life is so hard.

Not helped that all of the other characters are funnier and more interesting.
It's one of his most annoying traits, but I found him fun when he does shenanigans with Barney. He's suppose to be that sort of person that isn't happy until he has founded the "one". Although, I remember the finale of season 7 when Robin called "bullshit" when he says "I need to find the one". Probably the best Robin moment in my opinion...(until it was ruined by the final twist of season 7).

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Kratos.

There is something about that level of mindless violence that he embodies that I find abhorrent. There is no character here, it's a blank slate for violent tendencies to erupt. It's like Heracles wasn't a violent enough son of Zeus, so we needed an even more muscled and oily murderer, to then kill an entire pantheon.

tarislan

Jan 25, 2010
I'll add my vote to Lymle. Every time she opened her mouth, I wanted to punch my TV. SOOOOOOOOOO annoying. Just thinking about that game fills me with blind, irrational rage.

Vanille had a similar effect.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
I tend to strongly dislike protagonists who perpetually don't have the willpower to tackle the challenges laid before them until the very last second. Then after that happens they go back to being weak and unsure somehow.

I just can't empathize with a character who never shows anything but fear and self loathing unless it's half mixed with rage. Real survival instincts are a mix of fear, rage and madness that drives you kill or flee shitting your pants.

Id even prefer a confidence with no basis against all adversity which I can't empathize with either over a mopey protagonist just so I can forgo those taxing I can't do this monologues.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
mrverbal said:
Desmond. Fuck that guy. He's so agressively bland and dumb as a packet of spoons and just god awful.
I thoroughly enjoyed the 1st person parts of Revelations that deal with Desmond's backstory, found it very interesting. By this point in the AC timeline it was Ezio who I was sick of.

My most hated protagonists: Fudo Yusei and Yuki Judai from Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds and GX respectively. Judai's a fucking moron who wins all the time and never grows the fuck up until the trainwreck of a 4th season. Yusei started out with some potential but falls into the anime trap of never losing except for in extreme scripted events. His losses could help him and the others he plays against to get some goddamn character development but nope, protagonist plot armour. Yugioh in general is bad for this.

Also Masaru from Digimon Savers (and by extension every 'hot-blooded' anime hero who's dumb as a brick but wins through 'fighting spirit' while showing up the guys who actually work for their victories and devise strategies and the like).

itsthesheppy said:
I've always really disliked Ryu, though I'm more and more coming to the realization that maybe we're not supposed to like him, and that maybe he's not the protagonist of the Street Fighter universe (inasmuch as it has a narrative at all).
I'd say Guile, Chun-Li, Cammy and Rose are the protagonists in the SF universe, they actually work towards stopping Shadaloo et al, Ryu just wanders trying to make himself stronger, only showing up at the end if something far from the revelant characters needs Hadoken'd. Ryu isn't likeable or a protagonist, he's just kind of a tool, even to his best friend Ken.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
Witty Name Here said:
Also, Cersei Lannister when she finally gets her POV. I HATED her, I DESPISED her with all my heart. She almost ruined A Feast For Crows for me. I hated every stupid, stupid line that came out of her stupid mouth. I mean, I can understand Eddard Stark making some stupid decisions because he's "honorable", but Cersei has no excuse. They make her out to be some manipulative, brilliant, cunning woman in the first book, only to realize she is not only the worst parent in the world, but a stuck up ***** when you finally see things through her point of view.
I do believe Cersei was nearly created to be hate-able. Yes, Martin tries to be sympathetic to her, but it's hard for us after what she's done to the realm being a total *****. She's caught up in her little delusions of the world and is struggling to make it into the reality, where she has the power and her children are protected. She's afraid of what others may try to do to interpose themselves within her desires, so she seeks only those who agree with her, to possibly make this fantasy.
And then, when it comes crashing down on her, it is so sweet. I've no pity for the woman.

OT: Emil I-forget-his-last-name.
My bro and his friends had fun with Tales of- games, and said they had unique characters and story. I watched some, and I thought it'd be fun, so my friend and I picked up ToS:Dawn of the New World. And who do we get as a main character?
A generic anime teen (That's not the main flaw of his problems) that has no backbone and much personality. It doesn't help that his confidence builds through a emotionally unstable girl who proclaims her love for him (She's what, 16?) and then leaves him every five minutes. Emil has this alternate personality forced upon him by some dark god, which turns him into a complete asshole, but at least gets shit done. Halfway throughout the game, he actually develops a personality of being lax and naive, but it's very generic and bland, especially to the wide sets of other personalities around him. He also has one strand of hair that sticks straight up, and moves whenever he tilts his head. And he tilts his head a lot.
Also, despite its connection to Norse mythology, I stopped caring when they mentioned the Ginungugap. In the context used, it can't be taken seriously. The plot is complex to multiple phases that consistently blend and lose interest, and the surprise twists that are used are dull and I couldn't have cared in the least. Oh no, Emil's actually the manifestation of a demon in a guy he killed? And Richter is just trying to kill the demon to avenge his friend, when he saves the demon (Emil) and Emil bears no form of anger against him, even after kidnapping his friends and nearly killing him on multiple attempts-only friendliness and smiles, for killing him and forcing him into the weak shell. Freaking show some anger when not in Ratatosk mode, boy!
It doesn't help that standard fantasy design japan has made him impractical in all aspects. A sword hilt that goes backwards and curves around? That's definitely not going to let your hand slide out of the grip, or bend with extended pressure. And armor? Pfft-have a scarf and a shirt held up by a neck-strap.
"*Scoff* ~Emil~" -Marta, just before leaving the party once more.
TL:DR; I'm just not really the jrpg guy.