Protagonists you hate

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Katniss Everdeen from the Hunger Games trilogy. Initially, she's ok, but from about the point where she teams up with Peeta in the first book, her likeability just tanks. It only gets worse in the next two books. It doesn't help that she's also kind of stupid.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Ash fucking Katchum. He is the worst pokemon trainer I have seen. In the manga he was called Red and he was a badass.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
the December King said:
Kratos.

There is something about that level of mindless violence that he embodies that I find abhorrent. There is no character here, it's a blank slate for violent tendencies to erupt. It's like Heracles wasn't a violent enough son of Zeus, so we needed an even more muscled and oily murderer, to then kill an entire pantheon.
I forgot about him. Ash is just annoying, but I genuinely hate Kratos for killing the heros of my childhood stories. Especially Perseus. I love Perseus:(

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
Kick Ass. He's such a dipshit, and pretty much acts as a negative stereotype to comic book nerds and teenage boys. Seriously, I fucking hate kick-ass, they had to turn red-mist into a child murdering rapist psychopath to make Kick Ass less of a moronic douche than his villain. The movie turned a pseudo realistic OK comic into an overblown hollywood everyfilm, and kick ass 2 is just...Perverse, really. And Ironically, as the film will have to tone it down ALOT, alter some of the ridiculously over the top gore the film is likely to be OK.

And also, at the end of kick ass 2, it throws realism out the door, no way would anyone call an ambulance for "************" in the silver age "Heroes never kill" fantasy crap, they'd either be paralysed by fear or a reasonable, rational human being and let the child murdering rapist psychopath WHO KILLED HIS DAD bleed to death.

I FUCKING HATE KICK ASS!!!

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
008Zulu said:
angry_flashlight said:
40k: Kaldor fucking Draigo. Mary Sue^10,000,000 with this one. Wait he did what? Okay I guess that could feasibly happe- Wait what's this about Mortarion? Yeah, no. He can't do that by himself unless he's the warp-dammed Emperor and even then, that's no cake-walk. WAAAAAAAAAARDDD!!!! For those who don't know, Kaldor Draigo carved the name of his master into the heart of the mother of all Badguys' heart which also happens to be surrounded by what amounts to hyper-infectious super space AIDS. Draigo did not become infected despite literally being inside corruption and disease itself. This is after he kills/defeats 7 Greater Daemons of More disease and nastiness (if Mortarion keeps similar company to Angron that is, which seems likely). And he destroys literally impossible architecture despite it being, well, impossible to understand. So... much... Derp.
It's shit like this why I quit 40k tabletop gaming. I still play the computer games and read the books, but ever since "He Who Shall Not Be Named" took over... I did not think that something I loved so much for so long could be destroyed so quickly.
2nd this so badly. Still love the games and the books but the tabletop seems to have devolved into "let's make everyone so overly super badass and hope people think they are cool" that it's just ridiculous. Made only more stupid by the fact that authors / developers who wanted to mutilate lore like that would get told to piss off. He has alot to freakin answer for.

OT: Frank West from Dead Rising. Say what you want about Chuck, atleast he didn't deliberately put himself in a position wheres he's stuck in a mall for days and then moan about it.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
Not sure about this one, but i'm going to say it, Makoto from School Days, a hateful character from a hateful anime,I cannot describe in words, how badly I would love to kick the shit out of him,because of him sleeping around with every girl in school and treating Kotonoha like crap, at least this happens to him in the end

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
WolfThomas said:
I can't stand Ted for HIMYM. He had potential early on. When he decides to actually be friends with Robin after their dating falls through I though was a great character moment. But as it goes on I get more and more "meh" about him. Whenever he complains about anything, he's a handsome architect living in New York who dates dozens upon dozens of women, his life is so hard.

Not helped that all of the other characters are funnier and more interesting.
Thank fuck it's not just me. You really have summed up my feelings on Ted well there.

I think it's not helped by the fact that his character doesn't seem to have changed at all throughout the seasons. Look at the development in all the other characters, and then look at Ted.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
Daenaerys Targaryen, one minute she says Westeros will be all happy and smiles and peaceful when she rules, she will be kind and the peasants will genuinely love her. Then she says she will drink from Roberts skull (even after learning he had died) she (just like Viserys) cannot seem to accept or understand why there was a rebellion against Aerys, or comprehend how it was able to succeed or how Robert rules for almost two decades.

They don't realise how mad Aerys was or how much of a dick Rhaegar was.

Nerexor

Mar 23, 2009
WolfThomas said:
I can't stand Ted for HIMYM. He had potential early on. When he decides to actually be friends with Robin after their dating falls through I though was a great character moment. But as it goes on I get more and more "meh" about him. Whenever he complains about anything, he's a handsome architect living in New York who dates dozens upon dozens of women, his life is so hard.

Not helped that all of the other characters are funnier and more interesting.
I'm divided on that. Wacky hijinks Ted is awesome and funny. Narrator Ted is occasionally insightful and sometimes hilarious. But Ted when he's with a girl (which is every episode) is such a douchebag that you kind of want to kick him in the balls. He judges Barney for sleeping around so much, but Barney doesn't pretend to be anything but a player. Ted's always claiming he's so romantic and then ditches girl after girl for little to no reason. And the Robin thing... ugh, we've known since like season 2 that she isn't the mother, stop yanking that chain! So annoying.

Others: Tidus The whole cast of FFX, Vaan, Nathan "Mass Murderer in Denial" Drake, Whats-his-face from Prototype 2, Starkiller Sue, and Horatio "Dramatic Sunglasses" Caine

foxtrot3100

Mar 8, 2010
Ragetrain said:
Vaan from ff12.....Want to smash he's face in.
This.

He doesn't. do. ANYTHING!

Who else? hmm... Sonic! ...No wait, that's too easy.

Tron Legacy.
Great visuals. Classic (if a bit overdone) plot.
Crappy, one-note, douchy protagonist that we're supposed to somehow empathize with. The most horrible example of "every-man" that I've ever seen in a movie that I still liked despite it. I don't even remember his name and I don't care.

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
Ragetrain said:
Vaan from ff12.....Want to smash he's face in.
YES. This so much. I can't tell you how many times I yelled "VAAN SHUT THE FUCK UP" at my screen when I played FF12.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Diablo2000 said:
That boy from Evangelion... I couldn't finish watching because of him.
He's so annoying that makes me want to kill innocent bystanders...
yeah Shinji was a bit of a brat what episode did you stop? there are a few episodes later on that make him a bit likeable and in the rebuild movies he actually grows a backbone.
Although he is a self-absorbent douche in EOE
OT
while we are on the topic of Gainax

Nono from Diebuster/Gunbuster 2
she felt like a annoying fan girl although she becomes a bit likeable near the end of the OVA still I hated her in the first part.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Salsa the fucking Monkey from Mother 3. Does no damage in combat and is only there as a framing device so you could see what the bad guys are doing.

Also Paula in Earthbound for the same goddamn reason. She does no battle damage, she can't heal, and the only reason she exists is because of the final fight against Giygas.

It's really rare for me to dislike a character in a game, though, which makes it really odd as to why two of my favorite games ever both have characters I severely dislike.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Bocaj2000 said:
the December King said:
Kratos.

There is something about that level of mindless violence that he embodies that I find abhorrent. There is no character here, it's a blank slate for violent tendencies to erupt. It's like Heracles wasn't a violent enough son of Zeus, so we needed an even more muscled and oily murderer, to then kill an entire pantheon.
I forgot about him. Ash is just annoying, but I genuinely hate Kratos for killing the heros of my childhood stories. Especially Perseus. I love Perseus:(
Totally. I just pretend the whole God of War thing is a sugar- rush fuelled tweeny dullard dream.

With well done graphics, I guess.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Dandark said:
I also agree that I was rooting for the humans to win in avatar.
WHAT? The humans in that movie couldn't have been any more cartoonishly evil if they all had Snidley Whiplash mustaches, wore top hats, and tied all the Na'vi to railroad tracks.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
For some reason The Punisher has always rubbed me the wrong way, I think it's more certain writers then the character himself but half the time when I read or watch anything Punisher related, he's a complete psychopath.

Particularly in the movie Warzone,
Shotgunning a man's head off in clear view of a little girl.
Throwing a man begging for mercy off a building so he impales his throat on some kind of gate.
Shooting one of his 'friends' in the head dispite him looking perfectly able to survive a trip to the hospital.
Blowing another man's head off dispite the man being armed with only a cigar (I suppose Frank Castle REALLY takes the smoking on elevators rule seriously).
And my personal favorite is when another one of his friends is being held hostage along side the aformentioned little girl with one bad guy on each of them. Instead of shooting the man holding a gun to the little girl's head, he shoots his friend and THROWS his gun at the guy with the little girl. I rewatched that part like 5 times and I still have no fucking clue what the point of that was (Something about having only one bullet left, but if that's the case why not shot the guy with the little girl and throw it at the other guy?).

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
NotALiberal said:
Mako from The Legend of Korra (sequel to the above mentioned A:TLA).

The guy is a massive douche bag who : cheats on his girlfriend, refuses to own up to it when called out on it by his girlfriend, acts like a self obsessed asshole, and then we're still expected to swallow the horrible romance forced between him and Korra, with the creators trying to force down our throats that he's such a "great guy".

Yeah, single-handedly tainted my enjoyment of that show.
Yeah, he's the only protagonist from the show I wanna strangle with a length of piano wire.... how the hell did Bolin get stuck with that git for a brother?! He must have massive amounts of self-control to not smash his head in with a little earth-bending.