Protagonists you just can't stand.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Scyimgeour said:
Ohhhh are you in for a surprise. She turns into a BAMF, in her own way, later on. In a way she'll be the strongest survivor of them all, it was especially visible in the show.
I've read all the books, and I disagree. I don't hate her anything like as much as in the first book, but she's still too lacking in agency for me.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
If Milla Jovovich is in a film, I just assume that her character will basically be indestructible.

With the exception of KaTinka from Zoolander.

Whom incidentally I found hot as hell, crappy accent and all, and still allowed Milla to play a badass.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
IndieGinge said:
However, I think over the years I've come to loathe Drizzt Do'Urden of R.A. Salvatore's soulless cash cow. The character, while a bit of a contrived Sue, used to have a bit of depth to him, and also was accompanied by solid popcorn writing, but I think after his origin trilogy, things just went way the fuck downhill. He's gone from being unrealistically awesome, to just plain unrealistic, especially in the new series. Apparently he needed to be more "gritty" so now a 200 year old man who has lost hundreds of friends before is now an upset and angry teen because a bearded one finally kicked the bucket? And he has a girlfriend/fuckbuddy, Dhalia, who was obviously written with the intent to be sympathetic but edgy, and is instead written as a self absorbed *****. NOT TO MENTION that an actually interesting protagonist of his own series, Artemis Entreri, is turned into a one dimensional douche around Drizzt. I mean, Artemis IS a douche, but at least he's a douche with some intriguing characteristics, a bit of heart, and observable character development. But once he sees those lavender eyes, taut muscles and ebon skin he gets a raging hate boner and forgets everything that makes him not suck. On top of this, he's part of a stupid, Stupid, STUPID fucking "love triangle" with Drizzt and Dhalia in the latest book I've read, because Drizzt is now apparently as good at romance and basic human interaction as a child raised by Shinji Ikari, Rei Ayanami and the physical manifestation of schizophrenia. Because for some reason, he's also all "wise and introspective" one day, and is threatening to cut people who don't really deserve it because they looked at him funny the next. His "wisdom" is also garden variety common sense at best, and pointlessly spelling out the subtext of the story at worst.

And my final grievance is, despite his almost constant downward spiral after the first two trilogies, Drizzt still seems to be more popular than an actually interesting and fairly well written character who was very much like him, except having had all but the obligatory levels of Sueness that most all high fantasy protagonists tend to possess removed, Liriel Baenre. I mean, I'm glad that Elaine Cunningham didn't try and milk the girl's life to death, but goddamn, that girl is essentially the only dark elf in the Forgotten Realms who isn't a complete tosser or as badly written as Drizzt and Jarlaxle (another, though much less severe, one of Salvatore's abominations)

Okay, so maybe I'm a bit hateful after all.
I'm quoting all of this because I love it. I love this whole rant and I wish I could make sweet love to it.
You, sir, just summed up my intense dislike for recent Forgotten Realms books, and why there's so much wrong with them.
AND you topped it with the mention of the only Drow protagonist that I actively like.
So thank you. Thank you SO much!

My own picks follow:

Snape (Harry Potter): Sadistic douchebag. Constantly bullies all his students, except for the obvious favourites. Surprisingly bad at actually teaching people anything. Author tried pushing his undying love for Harry's mother as his redeeming quality, but even that love was abusive, creepy, and selfish.

Carrie Mathison AND Nicholas Brody (Homeland): What a pair of completely self-absorbed, short-sighted, morons. They want me to believe they're super-spies? Please. And that toxic love affair! What a train wreck. Maybe they were ok in Season 1, but after that, it's like they got handed an idiot ball and just ran off with it. I don't think the writers even knew what to do with them after S1, so they just winged it. With bad results.

Vala Mal Doran and Cameron Mitchell (Stargate SG-1): Farscape transplants. I love Claudia Black, but jeez. Those two guys ruined the show for me completely. They messed up the team's dynamics, making me stop watching the last 2 seasons. The fact that they both seem to run on being Mary Sues didn't help at all. I liked Jonas Quinn. The writes did a good job with him. But not those two.

Both Ashley Williams and Kaidan Alenko (Mass Effect): Whiny whiny whiny bitches, both of them. There was absolutely nothing I liked about either of them. Neither had any trait or scene or character development that made me like them. I wish I could leave both of them on Virmire.

KnightOfTwo

Jan 10, 2012
The Wykydtron said:
*Pokes head in*

Hello? Should I start going on about the main character in Persona 3 again or have we gotten really bored of that already? Fuck it.

So I really should copy paste one of my many speeches on this guy so I don't have to rewrite the same stuff over and over again. Basically he's an unlikable **** no matter how nice you try to make him be and every single aspect of the game unintentionally reinforces this negative image I have of him and I really tried to like him. The rest of SEES don't even act like he's more than an acquaintance even later on in the game, everyone else is having character development and Persona evolutions then there's just your lazy fucking arse just sitting in his room doing nothing in the meantime, you're forced to go out with half the female population of the school just to max your S Links and I could go on. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he just quit the whole "saving the world" thing halfway through because he couldn't be bothered anymore, he doesn't seem invested in anything SEES does.

No, stop I know what you're going to say "oh he's like super apathetic because of a traumatic past and so he can't make friends your argument is invalid lol" then I have to say then why is a guy with such apathy ingrained into his character in a fucking Persona game? You know, the one centred around friendship?

Honestly after playing SMT Devil Survivor I can say I would find him infinitely more enjoyable to play if he was in SMT proper instead.
Glad to see I'm not the only one that disliked him. Yes, he does fit in with the gothic themes and aesthetic of the game but he is still a sadsack douche. Plus I can't stand the expression typically shown on his face in the artwork. That mopey "woe is me, why are feelings hard?" look. Which is why as far as I'm concerned, the female protag from P3P is the canon one. She is actually close to her fellow SEES members, acts like a decent human being, has an upbeat personality and takes things in stride but not annoyingly so. She knows when to be serious (yes, I know we pick what she does in dialogue but a lot of that is based on a image of the character). She actually comes across as a human being, if at times a slightly goofy one.

My own contribution is two-fold, the latter of which is probably a bit suicidal on my part but I'll say it anyway.

1) Fire Lord Ozai from Avatar: The Last Airbender. (not a Protagonist but the leading villain of the series.) Mark Hamill does a great job as always of creating a menacing character. Always funny to me that his most prominent film role is a Hero but his talent seems to be in being the villain. Now as for why I hate the character, it isn't because he is a terrible person. It isn't because he is poorly acted, nor is it because he is poorly designed. I think he had great POTENTIAL as a character but they ended up just going with the bwahahahaha I'm evil because that's what a villain is. I hate him because he never lived up to the potential of the character. Season 3 did a great job of working to humanise people in the Fire Nation rather than seeing them all as monsterous imperialists, as we've only really had the Army representing the nation up until this point. It doesn't justify what they are doing, but the attitude within the country itself does make things very interesting.

But the Fire Lord is just a lazy I'm evil for the lulz. Hey, I know how we can win the war and conquer the Earth Kingdom! Lets set the entire continent on fire and kill everyone on it. Then we can rule a freshly-chared pile of ash! Brilliant! The comics that have since come out however make him quite interesting. His attutide there is that he was trying to unify the world into a single nation rather than keep up the rigid thinking of people being separate and isolated. Which the series has frequently touched on, the whole swamp episode in season 2 was dedicated to the everything is connected and the difference between the elements is an illusion. He is now after the show, a very interesting character, if only the show had worked that into his character.

2) Joel from The Last of Us. Now this has more to do with how the game came across with its idea of portraying this post-apocalyptic world. It's a harsh world where people kill, steal, basically do whatever they have to in order to survive. Understandable. It's a cut throat world and resources are scarce, I'm with you so far. That means people will try to kill you if given the opportunity so you may have to dish out preemptive attacks. Ok, i get it. It's not a really I live in so I have a hard time truly comprehending that because it's not something I can draw from experience on, but I get the concept. To quote the only worthwhile line from the film Van Helsing. "Do unto others before they do unto me" seems to be the theme of the world in a lot of cases. Then Ellie comes into Joels life and it starts to chip away at the exterior and help him regain a bit of his humanity. Selfish humanity, but what isn't selfish where every day is a literal fight for survival? You grab onto what you can.

However, don't expect me to care when someone is acting in their own interests by doing to you what you've done to every other character in the game. Yes, what would have been done to Ellie is horrific, and I'm glad she doesn't have to die. But don't try to manipulate me into giving a shit that because something nasty is happening to Joel that I should care. The story has been hammering in my head from the word Go that this is a tough world, bad things happen. Joel has had to do a lot morally (by our standards) terrible things in order for him and Ellie to get by. But when someone does them to him it becomes something that we the players are supposed to feel sympathetic about? That's just silly to me. Cut throat world works both ways. Just because you are the Protagonist of the story doesn't give you automatic sympathy when bad things happen to you after you yourself have done questionable/terrible things throughout the story. Don't act like you are entitled to me caring what happens when you bash me over the head with the attitude that this is just the way the world is, it's kill or be killed. Take what you want and hold it or risk losing it all. So that's not so much the characters fault as it is a niggling problem I've had with the game. I did think his daughter was fun though....for the 10 minutes she was around.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Scyimgeour said:
- Kvothe from the Kingkiller Chronicles. Which is funny because it's one of my favourite novel series of all time, and my favourite fantasy novel. Hell, I don't even dislike Kvothe all the time, far from it actually. But sometimes he's just a little too aware of his awesomeness. Yes, I suppose that's part of his character development, seeing as how he is as an innkeeper. But sometimes it just gets irritating.
Interesting choice! I found the first book to be a delight...
And the second book to be about Kvothe, or the author, placing all kinds of women up on various pedestals.
In fact, I don't think I'll bother with the third book because of the second, but I did think that there was something awesome to how that story was unfolding. Initially.

Captcha just called me a clod-hopper! Well, I never...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Ever played Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness?

Lara. What happened, and why? It's difficult to root for you in the quest to prove you didn't kill Von Croy when you tackle him to the ground and snarl at him in the opening cutscene and don't improve. D:

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Everyone, just everyone from Star Ocean:The Last Hope, but especially Lymle! That game was bad enough already without having to listen to her whining and constant 'Kay'

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Fraught said:
Uhh...I don't have any super specific examples, but a lot of what I hate has been mentioned in this thread. I like some personality in a character, but I absolutely cannot stand, like...oblivious extravagance? Any personality trait that goes hand-in-hand with the character's obliviousness actually really, really pisses me off. I might sound like a pretentious douche for saying this, but I can't help it.

Surprisingly, I don't really hate the kind of characters OP mentioned, the over-powered wish fulfilment characters. I like to root for them, and to some degree, insert myself into them. It makes me feel good sometimes (even though the fallout from irritating choices on their part is sometimes a harsher hit because of it), instead of making me hate them.

I can find enjoyment in every type of character that can exist without plot-twisting obliviousness (and by that I mean characters who negatively affect a plot directly because of their obliviousness).

The Wykydtron said:
You don't think that about the protagonist from Persona 4 though, right?

Any guy that'll act as my avatar in allowing me to romance Yukiko is great in my book. Plus, grey is totally my style.
Of course I don't think the same about the Persona 4 MC, even though he's been used as a counter argument against me before in my "Persona 3 MC is a ****" arguments before. Yes, if you look at him in a certain way he can be seen in a bad light but he does consistently come off as a really nice guy, he even has character development.

He starts the game being aloof and slightly detached because he's only here for a year, no point making any friends right? Within the first 2/3 hours all of those properly detached conversation options are straight up gone and he opens up. Meanwhile 20 hours into the game P3 guy is still going "I don't care lol" like the **** he is.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
The Wykydtron said:
Of course I don't think the same about the Persona 4 MC, even though he's been used as a counter argument against me before in my "Persona 3 MC is a ****" arguments before. Yes, if you look at him in a certain way he can be seen in a bad light but he does consistently come off as a really nice guy, he even has character development.

He starts the game being aloof and slightly detached because he's only here for a year, no point making any friends right? Within the first 2/3 hours all of those properly detached conversation options are straight up gone and he opens up. Meanwhile 20 hours into the game P3 guy is still going "I don't care lol" like the **** he is.
Yeah, I get that. Especially true seeing as when given conversation options, I always opt for the nicest, unless the character really annoys me, so it allows me to connect more when I'm given the chance to be compassionate and nice. I didn't really find the darker tone of Persona 3 that appealing either. The whole lighter tone of P4 was way better, to me, in my opinion.

KnightOfTwo said:
2) Joel from The Last of Us.
I am pretty sure Joel's hypocrisy and the contrarianism he shows in saving Ellie is the whole point of the story arc. They paint the picture of a cold and cruel world, and seeing as even though they're well fleshed-out characters, we identify with and insert ourselves a bit into Joel. The selfishness on his part did, at least for me, and I'm sure a lot of other people, create this neat little bubble for our two main characters, providing a great haven in their existence. Living in a ruthless world, but at least they have each other, another person who will never give up on them, no matter the risks (and/or benefits).

It may seem idiotic and annoying when you detach yourself from it. Personally, I found the ending very polarising at first, and I didn't know how to feel. In the end, though, I recognized The Last of Us as being purely the story of Joel and Ellie, and the whole crux of the story relied on them being the last of us...for each other. It's a very comforting notion to a lot of people who might feel alone often. There's reams of comfort to cultivate from just having one beacon of light in your world.

KnightOfTwo

Jan 10, 2012
Fraught said:
KnightOfTwo said:
2) Joel from The Last of Us.
I am pretty sure Joel's hypocrisy and the contrarianism he shows in saving Ellie is the whole point of the story arc. They paint the picture of a cold and cruel world, and seeing as even though they're well fleshed-out characters, we identify with and insert ourselves a bit into Joel. The selfishness on his part did, at least for me, and I'm sure a lot of other people, create this neat little bubble for our two main characters, providing a great haven in their existence. Living in a ruthless world, but at least they have each other, another person who will never give up on them, no matter the risks (and/or benefits).

It may seem idiotic and annoying when you detach yourself from it. Personally, I found the ending very polarising at first, and I didn't know how to feel. In the end, though, I recognized The Last of Us as being purely the story of Joel and Ellie, and the whole crux of the story relied on them being the last of us...for each other. It's a very comforting notion to a lot of people who might feel alone often. There's reams of comfort to cultivate from just having one beacon of light in your world.
I get that, I really do. As I say, it wasn't his hypocrisy that I disliked. It was more the way the game tried to make me engage with the character that I disliked (not really the fault of the character himself). I completely get why he does what he does throughout the game and why he does it. They are all they have, and in a world where everything has gone to shit, that's what helps you keep going. If put into the same situation, I don't know how I would act, possibly in the same manner, maybe not. But it was the game's constant whacking me on the head that I SHOULD care about him is what made it come off as annoying for me. It never really felt that organic to me, but like putting a signpost in front of his face that reads "Sympathetic Character, you should feel for him" (again, not his fault). I still appreciate it for what it does for game narrative in a lot of ways, but it didn't make me care for the characters, though Ellie was done a bit better imo.

Also I agree with you on P4 compared to P3. Atlus does do a good job with the grimdark stuff it puts out, but P4 felt like such a breath of fresh air. It had dark elements but at its core it explored the darker natures of people while trying to emphasize the lighter aspects and ways to improve. Totally with you there.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Can't remember the name but the main character from star ocean 4 was probably the most annoying character i have ever played as. What a whiny puss.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Most Gundam protagonists. I'd love to see a Magnificent Bastard in the red-white-and-blue(-and-yellow). Heero almost came close, but a hero (not Heero, you know what I mean) is only as good as his villains, and everyone with the potential for chewing the scenery ended up dead much too soon in Wing. Have Heero and Kira (SEED's protagonist) switch places and suddenly both series seems more interesting to me (although Heero would have to be a bit more... animated, less deadpan).

RufusMcLaser

Mar 27, 2008
I don't care for angsty, obsessed main characters in general; I've quit on more than one show (Yukikaze, for instance) because I hadn't the slightest interest in what happened.

That being the case, my vote for absolute least favorite protagonist goes to Holden Caulfield.

Sean Smedbron

Apr 8, 2013
Egwene al'Vere From The Wheel of Time. Every single one of her chapters all I can think is "STFU Egwene, you stupid spoiled brat"

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
Ash ketchum, The older I get, the more of a loser he becomes. He never learns anything, doesn't really improve his skills and unlike characters like Usagi/serena/bunny/sailor moon who got smarter and better as years went on, Ash actually gets dumber and crappier!

I just wanna smack him on the head with a wooden mallet!

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
Tidus, and Rikku from Final Fantasy X, but so much Tidus.

"Monkey!!!"

This video does the explaining for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMbwEAPc2aU

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
When I tried thinking of protagonists I despised, I wanted to keep it it video game related (not being as versed in the world of anime as other here) but when it came down to it, there's only one protagonist I really don't care for.

Commander Shepard from Mass Effect.

To really break down how I feel about ol' Shep, I need to preform a little mental exercise first, comparing Shepard with the Boss from Saints Row. They are rather similar, being player generated avatars of chosen gender and characteristics, but that's where the similarities end. The Boss has character; their voices can be changed, but their actions and reactions are consistent. It gives a sense of... I don't know, attachment? Responsibility? Any case, The boss is an unstoppable badass and is amusing for it.

Shepard is an unstoppable badass and is infuriating for it. After the first Mass Effect, Shepard's "legend" really got on my nerves because no matter how hard I buggered everything up (I made a character based on Miles Quartich, specifically for picking the options that got the most people killed) and everyone still falls over praising his awesomeness. At least the Boss's associates have the decency to call out their antics, even if zero fucks are given. Half the crew is in love with them, and Shepard's distinctly lacking in character. You could act as schizophrenically as you want and nobody bats an eye. Then the third game stripped out half the choices and just made them even more bland. And I'm sorry, but I've heard Jennifer Hale's voice acting in other games and compared to her performance in this game, she's phoning it in. When they make another Mass Effect, they should take the Volition approach and just give us voice options instead of dialogue options (especially given how few shits Bioware gives about our choices anyway).

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Tidus from FFX, Cook from Skins and Rachel from Glee.

I tried to watch Glee but every time Rachel is on screen I just want to put a shoe through my TV. And Skins' desperate attempt to convince me that Cook was a worthwhile character destroyed the show by the end of S7.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Cowabungaa said:
- Kvothe from the Kingkiller Chronicles. Which is funny because it's one of my favourite novel series of all time, and my favourite fantasy novel. Hell, I don't even dislike Kvothe all the time, far from it actually. But sometimes he's just a little too aware of his awesomeness. Yes, I suppose that's part of his character development, seeing as how he is as an innkeeper. But sometimes it just gets irritating.
Yes...

I really wanted to enjoy The Name of the Wind. Nice writing style, interesting setting, but then there's Kvothe. A skilled and charming master swordsman with a mind that can learn a language in a day? The guy is Mary Sue personified.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Gunner 51 said:
Oooh, I think I got a few...

Firstly, is the douche-tacular yet strangely bland Jason Brody from FarCry 3. I know the guy has had his brothers killed, but when you managed to rescue your friends and they all tell you to leave with them - do so. Going after Vaas was understandable, but then going after Hoyt (as big an arsehole as he was) was just going way too far. Given how Citra and the Rakyat had been filling his head with drugs and rubbish - I'd wager Jason was *this* close to being as insane and blood-thirsty as Vaas.
I think that was kind of the point. Jason was basically turning into Vaas at that point. In fact, the ending where you choose the island/Citra over your friends feels like the true ending, because it brings Jasons character arc to a pretty fitting conclusion. Oh, it's still depressing, but it does fit.