Protest outside of abortion clinics. Does it go to far?

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
asinann said:
Here's the trick with protests like these. Feel free to protest, but the instant you step on the grounds operated by the clinic be aware that they can and should call the police to haul you off. Video taping people who are going in to get a medical procedure is something that should be a crime if it already isn't.
It's not in most places. I do wonder why you assert this though. What specific reasoning is there to make taping people going in for a medical procedure a crime?

asinann said:
Sitting off the grounds with signs chanting is fine: the instant these groups begin to do things that could endanger the safety or privacy of the patients police need to start making arrests.
If anyone's safety is endangered, I would agree that the police should be notified and should step in. This is true of any and all protests. As for privacy, there is no expectation of privacy when you're in public. There are some places here that have blanket laws that deal with video taping people against their wishes but in many places you are free to record anything happening in public, including people going in for medical procedures. Medical privacy is an ethical concern of medical professionals, not the public at large.

asinann said:
America is the nation that is exporting extremist conservative christian theology. They have finally realized that the current crop of the nation isn't going to put up with their crap any more and are now sending it to other places that WILL put up with it.
There is nothing inherent about being pro-life that ties in with Christianity, let alone any kind of extremism. I'm an atheist and I'm pro-life.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
PainInTheAssInternet said:
Well, it's complicated. The pro-life/anti-choice group sees abortion as literally killing babies .
the same people often don't seem to care about "actual" babies...particularly the "actual" babies of minorities

a lot of it looks like hysteric and aggressive moralising to me

controlling a woman's reproductive right has always been a way of controlling her

Fox12 said:
I see this as a positive, so you're welcome I guess? I'm not sure what America has to do with it : /
America was founded upon puritanical ideals

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Deathmageddon said:
So if you witnessed someone getting mugged, and you had the power to stop it then and there, you would keep walking and file a complaint with city hall when it was convenient for you? Saving even one human life is more than worth making any number of mothers uncomfortable.
except you're not doing that

cause its not a life anymore than a plant is

your denying the woman the right to exercise control over her body, she's already made her decision and the factors involved should be respected because she's an adult human being capable of making her own decisions...where's the respect for her life? you don't know why she's chosen to do this

putting more unwanted children into a system...actually a WORLD that is not equipped to handle them is a terrible idea

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vault101 said:
the same people often don't seem to care about "actual" babies...particularly the "actual" babies of minorities
Oh, but you see, it's all the woman's fault. If she didn't choose to have sex, and apparently she is the only one involved in making that baby, then she wouldn't be pregnant!

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
How pro- lifers think is that freedom of choice is only when you make the same choice they believe in. These protestors are fine and dandy, but when you publicly methodically film to shame someone because they don't believe the exactly thing you do. You're not a protestor your voyeur whom gets some sick twisted pleasure out of shaming someone to show your so call moral righteousness.

The amazing thing is, we live in a very gray moralistic society, on one hand we try to triumph modern Victorian morality in an area of MTV and the internet. We believe people have a right to freedom, yet in those very countries people are boo or shamed by others because they have made different choices.

Not everyone whom has entered an abortion clinic does it because they were very loose or have no morals. Some do it because of health issues, financial reasons or even because of a rape, etc. Yet these protestors who film these individuals without even knowing the story behind why they were doing it. Protesting is fine and healthy for a so call democracy, but when you film people to shame them, you're not protesting anymore you are being a voyeur.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
Vault101 said:
Oh, but you see, it's all the woman's fault. If she didn't choose to have sex, and apparently she is the only one involved in making that baby, then she wouldn't be pregnant!
Actually it's bigger then that. If she didn't have a vagina things would be more easier for her and the world. See what I mean. It's women with vagina's fault. Vaginas are evil!!!

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!