Prototype, Wolfenstein and censorship.

Leorex

Jun 4, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
The swastikas are censored out in the EU version so they can sell the game in Germany which forbids direct reference to the Nazi's or Nazi symbology. This in the EU version the enemy will not be Nazi's but facsits who kinda sorta maybe definatly resemble Nazi's.
they should relax.

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
The swastikas are censored out in the EU version so they can sell the game in Germany which forbids direct reference to the Nazi's or Nazi symbology. This in the EU version the enemy will not be Nazi's but facsits who kinda sorta maybe definatly resemble Nazi's.
We must destroy the ambiguous fascist empire! They stand for everything we don't stand for.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
They are blurred in mine as well, though I'm not sure exactly which version I have (rental). I'm guessing it's a European release, but not specifically German since everything including the Readme file is in english.

And yes, it's hypocritical. Random acts of drastic violence are OK, but heaven forbid our children might see a sideboob or a symbol from the anals of hystory, that would destroy their moral fiber...

Mezzlegasm

Dec 19, 2008
hypothetical fact said:
TsunamiWombat said:
We must destroy the ambiguous fascist empire! They stand for everything we don't stand for.
Lmao.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
apsham said:
tsb247 said:
apsham said:
Rushin said:
I live in America, not in Germany
They didn't make it just for you sunshine.
I believe he said that to make the point that there is not point to the censorship since he does not live in Germany. He never implied that it was made specifically for Americans. There's no need for the attitude.
Trailer = made not just for America. To show it to everyone, they just did the one version so it wouldn't raise a funk.
I dunno... I distinctly remember the swastikas in the trailer I saw, but then again, it's been a while. I will have to hunt it down to see.

Rushin

Dec 22, 2008
tsb247 said:
apsham said:
tsb247 said:
apsham said:
Rushin said:
I live in America, not in Germany
They didn't make it just for you sunshine.
I believe he said that to make the point that there is not point to the censorship since he does not live in Germany. He never implied that it was made specifically for Americans. There's no need for the attitude.
Trailer = made not just for America. To show it to everyone, they just did the one version so it wouldn't raise a funk.
I dunno... I distinctly remember the swastikas in the trailer I saw, but then again, it's been a while. I will have to hunt it down to see.
I don't know maybe I got a weird or broken version.

Agrael

Jul 16, 2009
1)I am sick and tired of cutting Nazis in half, okay ?
2)I would like to cut some ALLIED soldiers in half ! (Before blurting out some messed up commentary that ''Oh you Nazi supporter!'' ''I hope you burn in hell you zionist'' etc. know that my grandfather's were soldiers on the Allies side and I am not a nazi nor anything else - to me you are all equally worthless [Quote: Full Metal Jacket]).

3)People should get over the swastika - do NOT get over the nazis though.

And hey, some people still get offended by the swastika - even they (or their relatives) have never lived in Germany/Poland/Eastern-Europe or are indeed not jews or have never been persecuted by the nazis (And I do mean the nazis who were alive and kicking from the start of the NSDAP till 1945). Attention whores...

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
I could swear we've had this topic before, but I'll throw in my thoughts anyways. When you're talking about blood/gore in a mainstream video game, it's almost always some sort of fantasy violence or 'justified' violence. The swastika is a symbol of real evil, it's still very touchy.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
That doesn't make any sense at all...the Swastikas and other iconography were left in fully in Return to Castle Wolfenstein...though yes I think the German version (if they had one) would have had them censored.

Machines Are Us said:
I wouldn't say it's hypocrisy.

It's one thing to show excessive, unrealistic violence and another to seemingly promote a Fascist regime responsible for persecution of several cultures.

That being said, it does seem rather odd that they'd censor out a symbol on a flag of all things.
Not having them doesn't fundamentally change the game, but it's just irritating. It is in no way 'promoting' fascist ideologies, this should be evident by the fact that the Nazis are the bad guys!