Protoype vs Infamous: The Battle of Box Art

dcheppy

Dec 8, 2008
I was inspired by the recent article on Left 4 Dead's awesome box art to create my own box art thread of sorts. Good box art equals better sales especially on new IPs.

Prototype and Infamous are new IPs. With the similar sells. My question to you is which one do you think will sell better based on their box art. After adjusting for differences in installed user bases. (Prototype is multiplatform.)

[img Infamous]http://scrawlfx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/infamous-box-art-reveal-560x643.jpg[/img]
Yellow on black/dark grey is striking. The logo is cool. The sell is you're an angry guy with lightning powers. It gets the point across. Little clutter. Your eye is drawn right to the badass on the box. Simple and effective. I like it, but why is it inFAMOUS? Our hero is kind of generic looking isn't he? It's not a classic. There is no single iconic image that defines it. No zombie claw, or triforce symbol, lancer, or whatever. The yellow jacket is cool but I doubt it has much to do with the actual gameplay.

[img prototype]http://www.ebgames.com/common/images/lbox/270132brp.jpg[/img]
I couldn't find a bigger image maybe because it's not a final image, which is good because this, I don't think is very good. The main character is in the background? Are we selling the badass hero with a blade for his arm or the title of the game? White logo on a white background? The only color is in the arm which effectively draws your eye to the blade which is the important image, but that arm doesn't look very menacing to me or even like a weapon. More of an infected arm. He looks like he's praying. It's decidedly not badass. Red, white and black aren't bad colors even if they are a little boring. And I don't have to say and it but, Assassins Creed much?
[img creed]http://www.psu.com/media/articles/assassins_creed_box1.jpg[/img]

Based on the boxes alone my money is on Infamous to sell relatively better. Do you guys agree?

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
Oh I do love a good bit of box art, in this case I'll go with Infamous, very nice contrast between the dark grey of the backround and the yellow of his jacket.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
I personally think Prototype's box art looks better. It's simple, whereas inFamous' box art is incredibly busy and messy. Plus, the point of the box is to catch the eye and make it want to product. The stark contrast of red on black on white catches the eye quickly, then your eye is drawn to the title of the game, which is what is supposed to happen. You should know the name of the game so that you know what it is that you're buying.

dcheppy

Dec 8, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Boxes alone? Maybe.
Hard to tell. I know I won't be getting it, though, 'cause I don't have a PS3.
I don't remember if Prototype comes out on PC, but if it does, that'll be one more sale for it.
It does.

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
Prototype looks more like a prototype picture (har har...oh I'll stop), its not great, but not bad either. InFamous' not a fan of it either. I call it the 'Cartoony/less serious than it's supposed to be' look. Observe these two box arts, they're from the PS2 games The Suffering, and it's sequel.

What looks more awesome? Never mind which was the better game, but what would draw you in more? Clearly, the first one right?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
xitel said:
I personally think Prototype's box art looks better. It's simple, whereas inFamous' box art is incredibly busy and messy. Plus, the point of the box is to catch the eye and make it want to product. The stark contrast of red on black on white catches the eye quickly, then your eye is drawn to the title of the game, which is what is supposed to happen. You should know the name of the game so that you know what it is that you're buying.
This is pretty much all I thought. I don;t like yellow much so the box art for Prototype appeals to me more.

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
IMO the infamous guy looks like guy from Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Could be his twin for all I know.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Hum, I admire the Look of cleanness to the prototype box art. The Infamous box art is very busy but the color contrast draws more attention to it. Pretty even, however, there is one thing on the Infamous box that makes it win, the Sucker Punch logo.

dcheppy

Dec 8, 2008
scotth266 said:
xitel said:
This is pretty much all I thought. I don;t like yellow much so the box art for Prototype appeals to me more.
The rubble in the background does create uncalled for clutter. It'd be better served with just the street and a dark sky. A Cleaner look. I get that they want to communicate that it takes place in a city but it isn't needed.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
jboking said:
Hum, I admire the Look of cleanness to the prototype box art. The Infamous box art is very busy but the color contrast draws more attention to it. Pretty even, however, there is one thing on the Infamous box that makes it win, the Sucker Punch logo.

Too much empty space in that one. It's unappealing to a casual glance.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
I'm going with I like Prototype's boxart better, but I'm still getting both because they seem to play like Spiderman 2 and I loved that game.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
jboking said:

Too much empty space in that one. It's unappealing to a casual glance.
Yeah, I can see where you are coming from with that. Doesn't the prototype demo box art suffer from the same problem though?

ps. If they tightened up the image a bit, incorporate the logo into the center maybe, would it be more viable.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
It's actually quite fun to look at the mock-up box art. Check it out:

I choose Prototype, obviously.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Well, Infamous's cover just shows a guy with lightning powers. That's cool, but so many videogame characters can shoot lightning it's almost ridiculous. On the Prototype cover, you have a simple image of what looks like a normal guy--except he's got a giant red-streaked black spike for a left arm. More original, definitely more badass. It draws you to it, if only because it clearly shows you get to play as a guy with a huge freaking spike for an arm.