Dec 11, 2009
Canid117 said:
Boba Frag said:
Canid117 said:
Boba Frag said:
Canid117 said:
Mr Metzger said:
Canid117 said:
What about people of Irish descent who aren't actually Irish?
We love you too lol
I am like half Irish on my mothers side but I am somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 or 3 generations away from the land of whiskey and crazy magic midgets so I do not actually consider myself Irish for fear of being like the parodical example in this friendly link.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-whos-116th-irish-proud-of-his-irish-heritage,103/
unless your mother was actually born in and raised in Ireland, that really doesn't sound like properly half-Irish...

But I see what you're getting at.
And we really hate that stereotype man.
Least I do...

I'm Irish, but can't say I'm a huge fan of whiskey.
Well she was born and raised in the states but I believe both of her parents were Irish immigrants who came here as children. Genetically speaking I am half Irish, but culturally speaking I am thoroughly an American.
That's actually quite close then.
heh, what is it to be American? It's such a melting pot over there- what I actually love about the place whenever I'm there to be honest.
It's actually rather refreshing from the same old same old here.
I dunno it seems perfectly normal to me. I am guessing that if I went to Ireland my response would be "WHY IS EVERYONE SO PALE! MY EYES! THEY BURN!" or something. Though I have heard that immigration to Ireland has gone up in the last few years so it can't be that bad.
It has, but not by so much that we all resemble Californians.
Yes, we're pale, and pale is fucking beautiful.

Unfortunately, a lot of our dimmer, less educated and quite frankly pathetic women-folk have an obsession with gross and poorly applied fake tan.

Ok, back on topic....

Are there any actual residents of Ireland on this thread - not that I don't like conversing with our Atlantic cousins, mind you.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Boba Frag said:
Canid117 said:
Boba Frag said:
Canid117 said:
Boba Frag said:
Canid117 said:
Mr Metzger said:
Canid117 said:
We love you too lol
I am like half Irish on my mothers side but I am somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 or 3 generations away from the land of whiskey and crazy magic midgets so I do not actually consider myself Irish for fear of being like the parodical example in this friendly link.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-whos-116th-irish-proud-of-his-irish-heritage,103/
unless your mother was actually born in and raised in Ireland, that really doesn't sound like properly half-Irish...

Least I do...

Well she was born and raised in the states but I believe both of her parents were Irish immigrants who came here as children. Genetically speaking I am half Irish, but culturally speaking I am thoroughly an American.
heh, what is it to be American? It's such a melting pot over there- what I actually love about the place whenever I'm there to be honest.
I dunno it seems perfectly normal to me. I am guessing that if I went to Ireland my response would be "WHY IS EVERYONE SO PALE! MY EYES! THEY BURN!" or something. Though I have heard that immigration to Ireland has gone up in the last few years so it can't be that bad.

Unfortunately, a lot of our dimmer, less educated and quite frankly pathetic women-folk have an obsession with gross and poorly applied fake tan.

Ok, back on topic....

Are there any actual residents of Ireland on this thread - not that I don't like conversing with our Atlantic cousins, mind you.
I actually live in the pacific northwest so we aren't as tan as californians. Very temperate here until the middle of the summer when it hits 90 degrees for a few weeks.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Canid117 said:
Boba Frag said:
Canid117 said:
Boba Frag said:
Canid117 said:
Boba Frag said:
Canid117 said:
Mr Metzger said:
Canid117 said:
We love you too lol

Least I do...

Ok, back on topic....

I actually live in the pacific northwest so we aren't as tan as californians. Very temperate here until the middle of the summer when it hits 90 degrees for a few weeks.
Sorry, I was going for a bit of a generalisation to be fair.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I'm not Irish by any meaningful standard. I am an American, which naturally means my lineage tends to be widely varied. My own ancestors hailed from the Plains of what became the US (I qualify for some but not all of the reparation benefits, though I have never chosen to collect - what's done is done I suppose) the fair land of Ireland (who ensured I have a pasty white complexion) and Germany (who, when combined with the Irish, granted a tolerance for alcohol that extends beyond what my body size ought to handle).

That said, Ireland is the most magicical place I ever laid eyes on.

For fourteen months, I was deployed with the 18th Airborne Corps to Baghdad. From November through July I didn't see a cloud in the sky nor a drop of rain. Even the color green was slowly erased from my memory because, as the summer drags on in the cradle of civlization, any plant life that has the unmitigated audacity to survive is slowly coated in a layer of dirt with the consistancy of talcum powder. During this time, I never had so much as a day off, and my life consisted of nothing more than being on duty, sleeping and eating. Then, I came up for R&R - the opportunity to get a plane ticket to anywhere in the world and take two weeks away from the war.

I thought long and hard but decided I would almost certainly never have a better chance to see any decent part of the rest of the world and decided on a whirlwind tour of Britain. After a hellish three day wait exposed on the flight line of Baghdad International Airport, where the temperature easily crept above 120 degrees, I got on a short, uncomfortable flight to Kuwait where I once again simply sat around and waited. Four days later, I finally came up on my flight with a final destination of Shannon, Ireland. Even at 2 in the morning, the lingering heat of the day was still opressive at well over 100 degrees. Having not goten decent sleep in months, I simply passed out on the plane and woke up in Ireland 7 or so in the morning.

There is nothing that can compare to walking off that plane. The air was brisk - perhaps 50 or 60 degrees and a light misting rain was falling. Before me, just beyond the flight line was the famous rolling green hills that lend the island it's nickname (I assume anyhow). While most were forced to wait for yet another leg of their journey, I walked through customs, hailed a cab and began the real adventure of my deployment. To hell with the people who claim the Irish have no cuisine - the meal I had that afternoon seemed fit for a king or conquering hero. I only got to spend 3 days on the Island but they were magical in every sense of the word. The rest of the kingdom proved well worth the visit, but there is still some part of me that just wants to find some little village there to settle down in. No other place I have been has had such an impact.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Boba Frag said:
-snipped off the rest of the conversation for my own sanity-

Sorry, I was going for a bit of a generalisation to be fair.
No problems most people think of either California or Texas when they think America. Depending on how positively they are thinking about America. Feel sorry for you about the spray on tan thing though. In the states we have a term that blankets a vast array of terrible people and one of those groups uses a lot of spray on tan.

I present the subspecies of Douche known as "Guidos" mostly native to New Jersey

thanks to Cracked.Com for providing the picture

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Furburt said:
Canid117 said:
I present the subspecies of Douche known as "Guidos" mostly native to New Jersey
We have something similar, although not as tanned. Skangers, who frequent the area around Dublin.

Scum of the fucking earth. Kind of like the English Chavs.
Kill it! Kill it now!

CrikeyO

Jul 1, 2009
Furburt said:
Canid117 said:
We have something similar, although not as tanned. Skangers, who frequent the area around Dublin.

Scum of the fucking earth. Kind of like the English Chavs.
I'm born, raised, and lived in Cavan my whole life. The town is composed of about 45% of the above, 50% functioning members of society, and 5% settled Travellers, who live on a hill commanding a great view of the town. The queue in the Post Office on Benefits Day has to be seen to be believed.

RewardMe

Dec 2, 2009
Yay wooohooo. I'm american/irish. My grandfather married a english lady, and his grandfather married a scottish lady. BUT the mother of that scottish lady was irish!!!

PoliceBox63

Apr 7, 2010
I find it odd to be proud of something I was born with, something I had from the start. Similar to a gay person being proud to be gay. It doesn't make sense to me. Yes I love my rich heritage and whatnot but being proud of your nationality just... doesn't quite make sense.
*sciath tine*

RewardMe

Dec 2, 2009
HerrBobo said:
Language- Irish is a fantastic language. Although only about 5% of the population can speak it fluently. I'm afraid I am not one of those people, although my Irish has improved since I moved to the west. What is amazing about Irish is that no one is quite sure where it comes from. I has no relation to any European language, most of which of course come from Latin. Scholars believe that it is most closely related to some Indian languages. A fascinating, archaic and unique language.

People and Culture- Most who come to Ireland fall in love with it and its people. We in Ireland are probably most famous for our hospitality. This is in no small part due to our huge pub culture. Ireland has a population of less the 4 million yet we are the 2nd highest consumers of alcohol in Europe. People come from all over the world to sample the infamous craic (crack). To set beside a fire in a pub drinking the "black stuff" and listening to a Seanachaí(Story teller) telling dark tales of "na Phua dubh"(The black sprit).

Landscape- Ireland is beautiful. Soft green hill of Connemara in the West. The famous glacial rock beds of the Burren where tropical and cold weather plants grow side by side. To the Bog of Allen in the centre; huge stretches of marshes.

Ireland's contribution to the world- A small Island on the edge of Europe, Ireland was seen as the edge of the world by people for 1000's of years. We have however given the world much to cherish. The Irish gave birth to the Scottish and Welsh nations through invasion/migrations to Britain after the fall of the Roman Empire. Of course we have gone further a field; despite having a population of less the 4 million almost 100 million people worldwide claim to be Irish/Irish roots. During the famine we flocked to the US and England, Irish hands built cities like New York, Boston and London.
Never one to shy away from a fight the Irish have fought in most of the major conflicts such as WW1 and WW2 and the US civil war. Not to mention Spanish Civil war and our own War of Independence. Are armed forces now, while small, are very well trained and one of the leading peace keepers in the world.

Ireland has been since medieval times a centre for academic thinking, it was not called the land of Saints and Scholars for nothing. Ireland has produced many of the world?s finest writers and thinkers.

Lastly, the earliest farming settlements in the world are to be found in Ireland.

We are truly a nation that punches above our weight.
That must be why london is a shit hole. Thumbs up for the irish for building it.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
My great grandfather is an Irish Unionist....yeah.

Ill get out now.

Seriously though, I am proud of my heritage, both Irish and Saudi-Arabian.

Jackel86

May 3, 2008
Canid117 said:
LaochEire said:
Canid117 said:
We call you "Plastic Paddy's"
and we call you "drunks"

I'm am kidding we love you guys over here in the states.
People calling us "drunks" and "brawlers" gets me so pissed it makes me want to get drunk and punch somebody! ;)

Penguinness said:
A guy I know is proud to be irish, and thinks he can drink because of it. He's a bad drunk...
Ya, I know one of those too. Seems like everyone these days is an angry drunk or a sad drunk. It's almost enough to make you stop drinking altogether.

Lisolet

Mar 27, 2010
My grandmother was 100% Irish, not sure where exactly she was from. Just about my favorite warrior hero is Cuchulainn (he's in a close tie with Alexander though Cuchulainn will probably win because of this presumed shared ancestry thing). A favorite pair of earrings and a bracelet are in the shape of celtic knots. I got auburn hair and very fair Irish skin. I root for the Boston Celtics even though I don't live in Boston anymore. Hell yes, I'm proud of my Irish bits! Except I don't drink alcohol - is that ok?

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
I'm sorry for crashing this little party of yours but aren't we supposed to break free of the chains of patriotism and eventually unite under a single flag where everyone is simply proud to be from Tera and not from a place on it? There I go, rambling again...

RewardMe

Dec 2, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
I'm sorry for crashing this little party of yours but aren't we supposed to break free of the chains of patriotism and eventually unite under a single flag where everyone is simply proud to be from Tera and not from a place on it? There I go, rambling again...
Na. Not gonna happen. You did not take into account of the americans who for some reason think their part irish. And like nothing other then to visit the motherland.

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
ilovemyLunchbox said:
Black-haired, blue-eyed women are the best. Thank you, Ireland.
Woot! I am a black-haired, blue-eyed woman, and I'm proud to be of celtic ancestry (I'm American, but of Irish descent).

Also, my birthday is St. Patrick's day, so I reckon I should get a few more points of Irish for that at least.

eggy32

Nov 19, 2009
Mr Metzger said:
This is a thread for all those Irish gamers (and indeed non-gamers) out there!

So people of Ireland, say where you are from and that you are proud to be Irish!

I am from Newry and I am proud to be Irish
Never thought I'd see another person from Newry here.

RewardMe

Dec 2, 2009
Lolth17 said:
ilovemyLunchbox said:
Black-haired, blue-eyed women are the best. Thank you, Ireland.
Woot! I am a black-haired, blue-eyed woman, and I'm proud to be of celtic ancestry (I'm American, but of Irish descent).

Also, my birthday is St. Patrick's day, so I reckon I should get a few more points of Irish for that at least.
Really!?!? I'm irish aswell... Your birthday is on st patrick's day? no way!! mine aswell!!. ASL? Sigh..