PS1 keeps going to the Memory Card/CD Player screen.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The other day, I bought an original Gray Playstation from a game store. On my new (New to me) PS1, I keep getting the "Memory Card/CD Player" screen, even though my discs aren't that scratched. Could it just be the age of the console?

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I got an original Xbox and found out that you need to remove the clock capacitor, and I got a gray PS1 with a dying laser.

Is this something you have to deal with for old consoles, or do I just have bad luck?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Dunno. I gave my 2 Xboxes to a guy in need who miss wired his back up generator and blew up every electronic device in the house.
But I do hear old equipment is like milk. You do need massive repairs or new ones eventually.
Side note: gave 2 functioning PS2s and Game Cubes to a family with kids. They still work fine but, that's a gen newer than your PS1. They too will eventually die or need repairs.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
An OG gray playstation? Yeah, that's probably an issue with the optical drive, those tend to crap out with age. There's a few things you can do to try extend its lifespan, tho pretty much all of them require you open up the console.

First off, try giving the optical drive a good cleaning. Sometimes the mechanical parts are just blocked by dust and crud. It's also a good idea to clean the lens, and open up the module, then use a little penetrating lubricant on the mechanical moving parts like the spindle and rail tracks.

If that don't work, the problem may be bent rail tracks, busted motors and/or a busted lens. If it's bent rails, do not try to force them back into shape, they break easily. Whatever it is, easiest way to fix it is to just replace the drive. here's a guide for how to do that.

Is this something you have to deal with for old consoles, or do I just have bad luck?
To put it plain, yes. Electronics don't last forever, and a lot of retro consoles are now 20+ years old. The previous owners may also not have taken care of them as well as they could. It's not unusual for an old console to need some fixing up, assuming it can even be fixed.

Also, buying retro consoles from Gamestop, or other big chains, or from thrift shops and such, is generally kind of risky, since they'll accept almost anything and do little to check if it's in proper working order beyond turning it on (if even that). Stores that specialize in retro gaming are much safer bet, especially ones that also offer repair services. Not foolproof either, but it greatly increases your chance of getting a fully working system.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
An OG gray playstation? Yeah, that's probably an issue with the optical drive, those tend to crap out with age. There's a few things you can do to try extend its lifespan, tho pretty much all of them require you open up the console.

First off, try giving the optical drive a good cleaning. Sometimes the mechanical parts are just blocked by dust and crud. It's also a good idea to clean the lens, and open up the module, then use a little penetrating lubricant on the mechanical moving parts like the spindle and rail tracks.

If that don't work, the problem may be bent rail tracks, busted motors and/or a busted lens. If it's bent rails, do not try to force them back into shape, they break easily. Whatever it is, easiest way to fix it is to just replace the drive. here's a guide for how to do that.

To put it plain, yes. Electronics don't last forever, and a lot of retro consoles are now 20+ years old. The previous owners may also not have taken care of them as well as they could. It's not unusual for an old console to need some fixing up, assuming it can even be fixed.

Also, buying retro consoles from Gamestop, or other big chains, or from thrift shops and such, is generally kind of risky, since they'll accept almost anything and do little to check if it's in proper working order beyond turning it on (if even that). Stores that specialize in retro gaming are much safer bet, especially ones that also offer repair services. Not foolproof either, but it greatly increases your chance of getting a fully working system.
Well I was going to suggest he get advice from a specialty forum for retro gaming but then Professor Bananas here made this post.

Reactions: gorfias

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I got an original Xbox and found out that you need to remove the clock capacitor, and I got a gray PS1 with a dying laser.

It's the damn moving parts. A lot of people assume these things last forever because old Nintendo consoles have been able to stay alive so long, but they're just cartridge readers that don't have any sort of mechanics that wear or need upkeep. Not to say nothing goes wrong with them but putting a SNES beside a PS1 is unfair because of the difference in number of points of failure.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
It's the damn moving parts. A lot of people assume these things last forever because old Nintendo consoles have been able to stay alive so long, but they're just cartridge readers that don't have any sort of mechanics that wear or need upkeep. Not to say nothing goes wrong with them but putting a SNES beside a PS1 is unfair because of the difference in number of points of failure.
Nintendo is also just kind of like that with most of their stuff. I remember seeing people test the durability of the three consoles at the time of the PS2 era and the GameCube could get hit with a hammer and thrown at a wall and still work.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Nintendo is also just kind of like that with most of their stuff. I remember seeing people test the durability of the three consoles at the time of the PS2 era and the GameCube could get hit with a hammer and thrown at a wall and still work.
Iirc, it was Nintendo company policy that their hardware be capable of taking a beating, especially the handhelds. Satoru Iwata mandated that r&d was not allowed to even continue with any DS prototypes unless they could survive a fall of at least 5ft / 1,5m without losing functionality. The og Game Boy was famously tested by dropping it from third story windows.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I remember having to turn my console upside down to get it to play some disks, although that doesn't quite sound like what is going on here.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I remember having to turn my console upside down to get it to play some disks, although that doesn't quite sound like what is going on here.
Mine still sits in the cupboard at my parent's house. Yes, it still works upside down. As does my ancient light gun and Die Hard Trilogy.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Mine still sits in the cupboard at my parent's house. Yes, it still works upside down. As does my ancient light gun and Die Hard Trilogy.
I still have my guncon somewhere, would be really cool to play elemental gearbolt again. I wonder if it works with a oled tv.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I still have my guncon somewhere, would be really cool to play elemental gearbolt again. I wonder if it works with a oled tv.
Does it come with sensors you have to attach to your tv? Cuz if not, you're shit out of luck, won't work on anything other than a crt tv.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Was that the one that came with Time Crisis? Luckily an ancient CRT and VHS player sit in the same room.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

That's definitely the truth. I traded in my old 360 for a 360 elite. The problem with my old first model 360, was that it kept eating any copy of DMC for, and only DMC for. The start happening after the last RROD. All the other games worked fine, but I'm a big DMC fan, so I wanted to keep playing that game, when at an available opportunity. All that guy did was check to see if the console turned on and to make sure the controller worked. That was it. I got a big discount for it too. At the time, they gave you an extra discount if you are a pro member. I took big advantage of that and got a refurbished elite that still works today. I also make sure to clean off all my consoles.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Does it come with sensors you have to attach to your tv? Cuz if not, you're shit out of luck, won't work on anything other than a crt tv.
Yeah, those would be around with the guncon itself, needed them to work period.

Was that the one that came with Time Crisis? Luckily an ancient CRT and VHS player sit in the same room.
I don't remember if mine came with Time Crisis... I think so.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I have trouble getting past the black PS logo screen.

What do I do?
As I said before, probably a problem with the optical drive, most likely the laser. You'll need to replace it.
Or video if you prefer a video

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I'm having problems with my Xbox 360 disk drive occasionally failing to read games, too. What's really annoying is that I have another 360 that Red Ringed that I could use the disk drive from... except Microsoft bloody locked the drive to the console. If you put a disk drive from another console in it just won't recognize it. Apparently I would need to flash the memory of the disk drive to match the one from my console, and I don't have the equipment necessary to do that. Stupid fricking Microsoft!

Reactions: BrawlMan