PS2 emulator confirmed for PS4

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-hands-on-with-ps4-playstation2-emulation

Now this is something that Sony talked about awhile back and then kinda shut up about for awhile. So while I'm interested, I'm gonna wait until I see results before I celebrate.

So, what do you think? Is Sony going to go through with it this time or is it just going to kinda move on and forget about it?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm betting they're going to go through with it, because Microsoft did. And while I do like the sound of this, I'm also a little concerned. Am I going to be able to put my old discs in and play them--like the Xbox One can do--or am I going to have to buy the games from the store? Because if I have to buy them like the end of the article suggests, I'm not going to be all that interested.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Sniper Team 4 said:
or am I going to have to buy the games from the store? Because if I have to buy them like the end of the article suggests, I'm not going to be all that interested.
If you did, how would that be different from PSN, and why announce it in the first place?

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
The games on PSN depend on emulation as well. Those quietly released games would be the first PS2 games available for PS4, right?

If it does accept discs as well... Please be region free, please be region free... Seriously, I've got multiple PS2s sitting under my tv, so if the PS4 could take over for them, that'd be great.

Sep 9, 2007
That's an interesting bit of news. If it includes disc based emulation it'll be another reason for me to get a PS4. If it's just that PS2 games will be available on the store I'm not really that interested. I already have most of the games that I want already. I don't really see the need to buy them again.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Well, now that XB1 has some backwards compatibility, I suppose they need something better to compete (PS Now isn't the same). Probably they'll go through with it (or at least hopefully)

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Whether its true backwards compatibility or the 100 games per run that Microsoft is doing its a good thing. Backwards compatibility is something everyone wanted and microsoft even said wasnt going to be used if they did put it in. Now were seeing it become a thing once again. I believe this will give both consoles a much greater lifespan and I can say from a retail perspective that backwards compatibility is something that has sold more xbox ones in the recent months.

All that said, I think the real thing to take away from this is that competition has once again made the consoles better for all of us

asdfen

Oct 27, 2011
the best PS2 emulation has been on PC. www.pcsx2.net
I owned multiple PS2s myself and one of them is still alive, but after pcsx2 released I havent turned it on. I can now play with great graphics and any gamepad I want instead of ps2 controller. Also after dumping all optical disks to HDD the convinience of just cliking to open is staggering. PS3 also has ps2 emulation but it is shit. PS4 with its low processing power and low gpu will not be pullig off 1080p PS2 graphics which pcsx2 features right now.

Anyways my point is that if they would have announced PS3 backward compatability that would have been something. PS2 emulation years after release is just a marketing slogan that they will need if MS actually pulls off limited 360 backwards compatability.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
asdfen said:
Anyways my point is that if they would have announced PS3 backward compatability that would have been something. PS2 emulation years after release is just a marketing slogan that they will need if MS actually pulls off limited 360 backwards compatability.

The cell processor is impossible to emulate so original PS3 games will never be played on any other device than a PS3. Ofcourse nothing is impossible I guess but for PS4 to have PS3 compatibility they basically need to ship PS4s with additional cell processors which means a more expensive PS4 for the consumer. So yeah, not going to happen. Espescially not with the much more lucrative 'remastering' route.

PS2 games are much easier to emulate. The phat PS3 could play both PS1 and 2 games but the slim and superslim couldn't(again to save costs). I think PS2 emulation for PS4 simply means that Sony plans to publish PS2 games to be downloaded on PSN. I don't think you can play the actual disc on PS4 similarly how you could download PS2 games for PS3 slim and superslim without being able to play actual PS2 discs. The fact Sony published the PS2 emulator with absolutely zero fanfare kind of supports this.

Still, I hope ofcourse I'm wrong though. :p

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I will be so jacked if this comes through... especially if you can somehow get your already owned games onto your PS4 from the disk (like how the 'backwards compatability' works with the XBONE)...
I have loads of PS2 games, and my PS2 just broke. Hopefully I can play PES3 and 4, FFXII, Jurrassic Park: Project Genesis, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Dark Cloud 2, SSX 3, Psychonauts, Jak 2 and 3, Okami, Kingdom Hearts and any other games in my stack that I either didn't get to play as a kid because I couldn't afford them, or that I didn't complete because I sucked...

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
stroopwafel said:
PS2 games are much easier to emulate. The phat PS3 could play both PS1 and 2 games but the slim and superslim couldn't(again to save costs).
The Emotion Engine is still a pain in the butt, though. That's why they put actual PS2 components in those early PS3s instead of developing a proper fullblown emulator.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
NPC009 said:
stroopwafel said:
PS2 games are much easier to emulate. The phat PS3 could play both PS1 and 2 games but the slim and superslim couldn't(again to save costs).
The Emotion Engine is still a pain in the butt, though. That's why they put actual PS2 components in those early PS3s instead of developing a proper fullblown emulator.
Depends on which phat model.

The NTSC 20GB and 60GB launch models did have the Emotion Engine CPU and Graphics Synthesizer GPU hardware. But, the PAL 60GB launch model and the first NTSC 80GB model ditched the CPU, using software-based emulation instead, although keeping the GPU. These models had more limited compatibility, but they still played pretty much every popular PS2 game (I can somewhat attest to this since I own one).

All fat PS3 models released to stores from october 2007 onwards no longer had CPU, GPU or software-based emulation for either, so they weren't compatible at all. In short, the PS3 really only had PS2 backwards compatibility in the first year of its lifespan.

You're not wrong. I just felt like expanding upon your reply.

asdfen

Oct 27, 2011
Chimpzy said:
the PS3 really only had PS2 backwards compatibility in the first year of its lifespan
that is incorrect. cfw runs ps1, ps2, psp and iirc a few non sony emulators. Also the titles that are called "ps classics" are all emulation making me think Sony just didnt feel like releasing the software emulation just so they can keep selling people the games hey already own again and again.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
asdfen said:
that is incorrect. cfw runs ps1, ps2, psp and iirc a few non sony emulators. Also the titles that are called "ps classics" are all emulation making me think Sony just didnt feel like releasing the software emulation just so they can keep selling people the games hey already own again and again.
Yes, you can achieve backwards compatibility to a lesser or greater degree in any PS3 model using custom firmware and third party emulators or the Sony-made emulator used for the PS Classics. In the first case, you're using third party software to expand the capabilities of the system beyond what Sony put in out of the box. In the second, you are pretty much limited to those PS Classics, since the emulator they run on is not officially available.

Neither example changes that you cannot unbox a standard 160GB phat PS3, put in your PS2 disk of, say, God of War, and expect it to run. Because it won't. Not on its own. That functionality was only a standard feature of the models I mentioned before. Hence my comment that the PS3 really only had a year of PS2 backwards compatibility.

Superbeast

Bound up the dead triumphantly!
Jan 7, 2009
I really hope this goes ahead - I'm still playing on a PS2 and Xbox as the last generation has coincided with some bad financial times for myself, with by far my largest collection of games being PS2. I'm beginning to worry that my PS2 will brick after all this time (it is one of the original fat consoles) and it is hard to find controllers these days. Being able to upgrade to a modern system and keep my old loves (like Final Fantasy XII) would be amazing.

I don't want to go off-topic, but someone mentioned XboxOne backwards-compatibility. I've been out of the loop for a long time, could someone fill me in (by PM if necessary to avoid off-topic) on what it plays/is it true backwards-compatible or only some games etc.?

asdfen

Oct 27, 2011
on xbone they are currently working on limited backwards capatability with x360 nothing more to say at this time