Xenogears (PS) (A must play)
Parasite Eve (PS)
Parasite Eve 2 (PS)
Final Fantasy Tactics (PS)
Vagrant Story (PS)

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
JFenlon said:
I'm gonna definitely buy Shadow of the Collosus now, like half the posts have said that game :}
You will not be disappointed.
The list like many others...
ICO
Timesplitters 2 and 3
Shadow of the Colossus
Silent Hill 2
GTA: Vice City
God of War I & II
Prince of Persia Trilogy

Kurushi
Vib Ribbon

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Valdsator said:
Treblaine said:
AVOID MGS2 and MGS4 LIKE AIDS

MGS1 + MGS3 are THA BOMB!!
I say just play all of them in the order of the numbers. The story may be a bit ridiculous, but it still makes sense. Every one of the games has enjoyable gameplay, characters (Raiden...ehh, not so much), and cinematics. Just play all of them, not like the story will be completely ruined.
Sorry but bullshit. I know this is my opinion but seriously, trust me.

Do NOT just play in order or you WILL BE EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED!!!

MGS4 has nothing new, it just recycles old characters and doesn't do anything interesting with them just pads and wastes time with melodrama and pedantic details. MGS2 introduces new characters that are so fucking stupid it makes me literally bang my head against a wall till the bad memories blur away.

I cannot emphasis this enough, MGS2 begins a plot line that is pointless and disappointing and MGS4 continues that direction. All the terrible aspects of MGS saga can be avoided by simply not playing MGS2 or 4 and acting like they don't exist. Do not waste your time, money or hopes on those diabolically awful sequels.

Just draw a line between MGS1/MGS3 and MGS2/MGS4 and stay well away of whatever events that take place After the end of MGS1... and you'll be much better off.

Time is precious, not worth wasting on games with plot that is "ridiculous, but good enough"

NO! There is nothing acceptable about the Plot of MGS2... a FUNDAMENTAL element of MGS2 is that the entire human genome project is a hoax, that is BEYOND bullshit, that is like saying the moon landings are fake. It says democracy in the USA is not real!!! THAT IS FUCKING OUTRAGEOUS!!! And it was pure plot contrivance, it was not necessary, it only served to fill a plot hole that tore open several more.

Half the time you have NO IDEA what is going on in the plot and you NEVER know why in the hell you should care. Take when Raiden's story starts in MGS2, it makes no sense HOW you got there, WHO you are, WHY YOU are here and the first thing you do is an inane fetch quest to find some randomly and pointlessly placed bombs. At this point in MGS1 I was in an epic gunfight with a Russian gun-slinger to rescue an important hostage!

And don't get me started on the cutscenes and codec calls, SO LONG and SO INANE and pointless in MGS2+4, literally HALF the game is sitting around as the plot slowly plods along and takes itself WAY too seriously and never makes any interesting point.

Honestly if you want a Very Fitting analogy:

-MGS2 and MGS4 are equivalent to the Prequel Star Wars trilogy = full of fail, nothing good about them
-MGS1 and MGS3 are equivalent to the Original Star Warts Trilogy = full of win, virtually no negative points

Kojima just went the way of George Lucas and so many others.

Ehra

Mar 19, 2010
Jack and Daxter series
Kingdom Hearts series
Zone of the Enders series (the second one especially is an unfortunately under appreciated game).
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Silent Hill 2

All of these still remain some of my favorite games ever, I still regularly play them. Kingdom Hearts 2 is still a contender for my favorite game ever.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Treblaine said:
Might I point you both to the Spoony one's opinion of Final Fantasy X, and I think he'd call any description of FFX of "Flawed" as being the understatement of the decade.

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/03/11/it-begins-again/

Yeah, and if you want more comedy gold intense mental suffering, you can see his review of Final Fantasy 8.

Needless to say, I think ShroomMinus will like these videos more than Amnesiac.

I played Final Fantasy X though quit on the 5th hour... as Jesus Christ I could NOT FUCKING STAND Meg Ryan Tidus and how the cast is full of characters who are on par with Jar Jar Binks of annoyance level. That and the plot just did not hook me like Final Fantasy 7 or 9 did.
I don't think you need to hate Final Fantasy in order to enjoy Spoony's review of them. I love FF10, but that doesn't mean I can't take great pleasure in watching someone tear through the tremendous amount of cheese that cluters this game.

The second part of that review is taking quite a while though, damn it.
oh it's like that, he takes his time and seem to work on multiple projects at once, releasing them when ready. He's a one man team remember, he doesn't even have a camera man!

To save people some time, here is part 1 on his Final Fantasy 8 review.

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2007/04/04/final-fantasy-viii-review-part-1/

Oh god, his pain is my pain.

aLivingPheonix

Feb 26, 2010
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time series is pretty good, and all 3 are pretty long as well. Driver 2 is also a really good PS1 game.

Flamestorm06

Mar 23, 2010
Persona 4
Mana Khemia
Dynasty Warrior 5, with XL
Champions of Norrath
Champions: RTA
and the list goes on
I'm not putting Okami, purely because I never played the ps2 version, only the Wii one. That being said I love the game!

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Before reading what everyone else said (so I don't get bogged down trying to think of what they didn't say)

Devil May Cry series
Okami
Metal Gear Solid series
Shadow of the Colossus
God of War series
Shin Megami Tensei
Final Fantasy XII
Resident Evil 4
Burnout 3
Grand Theft Auto

(I bet all of these were listed already)

Valdsator

May 7, 2009
Treblaine said:

-MGS2 and MGS4 are equivalent to the Prequel Star Wars trilogy = full of fail, nothing good about them
-MGS1 and MGS3 are equivalent to the Original Star Warts Trilogy = full of win, virtually no negative points

Perhaps he should just play them for the gameplay then? Pay no attention to the story, find the objective, and continue on? They're still good games, just maybe not good sequels to the story (Well, in your opinion. I thought the story was good enough).

acklumos

May 1, 2009
The Ratchet and Clank games are great, and so are Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2 ( or Dark Chronicle, depending of where you live).

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
darthmalak95 said:
The Ratchet and Clank games are great, and so are Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2 ( or Dark Chronicle, depending of where you live).
I don't see why everyone raved about Dark Cloud or Chronicle. In terms of battle system, they're essentially the same game. Once you complete one dungeon, they copy pasted that dungeon, added alot more levels and then there's a boss at the end of it. Next dungeon is exactly the same with a different paintjob. I got past the 3rd dungeon in Dark Cloud and just gave up when I got to the fourth. I really expected more from a hack and slash rpg. I've never been so bored playing a game in my life.
Now, my top picks. Shadow of the collossus, Yakuza 2, Wild Arms 3, Odin Sphere, Persona 3-4, Code of the Samurai, Snake eater, Project zero / Fatal Frame, Haunting Ground and... Okami.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
JFenlon said:
Hey guys, I got my PS2 out of my loft recently, after selling my PS3 as I use my PC for gaming, I picked up my copy of FFX and thought... "Why do games nowadays have little or no re-playability?". Do you guys also think that the games that have been coming out in the last 2 years or so, say, Modern Warfare 2, will have as much pick up and play value in 5 years as Super Mario is today. Now, you might say that comparing the two games is irrelevant as they are so different, and I would agree with you, but the fact is, when the next big thing comes out, would you even look at it? I do occasionally go back to COD4 sometimes, its just so much fun. :D
And I remember the whole days of fun I had when I was younger, but i don't have so many memories of the newer games :/

Oh! And would you kindly suggest some really great, I mean EPIC games for the PS1/2 that I could buy to actually enjoy gaming again :)

Some games that would be as fun and re-playable as -

Final Fantasy X
Crash Bandicoot
Rayman

Games that people have replied with that I now remember :)

GTA : San Andreas + Vice City + III
Abe's Odyssey
Spryo (PS1)

Those are the only ones I have played though, I'm making a List :D
Thanks guys!
The Jak and Ratchet series', Kingdom Hearts 1&2, and one of my personal favorites, Suikoden 3.
If you can get a disc of it, do it. You'll never regret it.

AMX58

Jan 27, 2010
Def Jam Fight for NY
Sniper Elite if that is your thing
any old NHL game cannot beat hockey
and well uhm i still have my gamecube and I like playing it still :/ so u ain't alone man

THEMILKMAN

Jun 16, 2009
PS2=best system evar!!!

Best PS2 games:
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Rule of Rose
Ico
Shadow of the Collossus
Final Fantasy X
Red Dead Revolver
The Bouncer
Killer 7
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 3
Beyond Good and Evil
God Hand
Okami
Resident Evil 4
Silent Hill 2
Persona 4
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Indigo Prophecy (Farenheit in EU)
Psychonauts

I could go all day, the PS2 had literally everything.

I refuse to sell my fat PS2 and all these great games as well as many others.

Generator

May 8, 2009
I don't know if these have already been suggested, but honestly, it's impossible to recommend them enough: the Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank games for the PS2 are absolutely incredible and definitely worth playing. Plus, with the games you listed as memorable (specifically, Crash and Spyro), they sound right up your alley, especially considering they are made by those two same developers.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Valdsator said:
Treblaine said:

Perhaps he should just play them for the gameplay then? Pay no attention to the story, find the objective, and continue on? They're still good games, just maybe not good sequels to the story (Well, in your opinion. I thought the story was good enough).
OHHH don't get me started on the gameplay:

First challenge in MGS2 for Raiden, go on a god damn fetch quest to spray some bombs with coolant. Oh joy. I have no idea why I am doing this, only how mundane it is.

At this point in MGS3 I was being hunted through a rundown industrial complex by a crack squad of Soviet Commandos and I had to use all my cunning and stealth to pick them off one by one.

MGS2, First boss fight... isn't a fucking boss fight. Fortune just blasts you with her rail gun, bullets deflect, grenades all dud, well this is obvious, I have to fight her hand to hand... NOPE! An invisible fucking wall. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. Instead you just have to run backwards and forwards for 5 minutes while you wonder if the rest of the game will be as bad... it is. MGS2 doesn't have many boss fights but most of them are LAME, especially Fatman, a morbidly obese bald man in a ridiculous blast-suit zipping around on roller blades. What the fuck was Kojima smoking? It wasn't fun, it wasn't cool, it was annoying, having to run around spraying bombs.

MGS2 was NOT pleasant to play in pacing, stealth mechanic and ESPECIALLY boss battles. It fails in overarching plot, and it fails in how the game FEELS, MGS2 FEELS like a mess and is not intense adventure, action and tension. Just meandering "how long till this is over".

MGS1, first fight is an easy one to get you started but keeps it tense, you're cornered in a Brig as SWAT type soldiers pour in you have to shoot your way out. Soon after that you are in an epic gunfight with an old Russian gun-slinger who has the hostage you are trying to save surrounded by tripwires attached to C4 Explosives! You have to run around, timing your shots before a cyborg ninja swoops in and...! I really should stop there for spoilers.

Anyway, you have multiple encounters with a deadly sniper, dodge bloodthirsty wolves, battle a Psychopath with telekinetic and mind controlling powers, get chased up a comm tower by a small army of Commandos, chased down by a Hind Attack helicopter. Feud with a monstrous shaman, solve the riddle of a nuclear secret, then the final battle is just unrelenting, I don't want to give too much away but it just keeps throwing things at you

MGS4.
All I remember about that is endlessly crawling, there was no careful use of memorising patrols, using cover and distraction. No, you have a tranq gun and are effectively invisible while prone and still, that just COMPLETELY SHATTERS any stealth mechanic. In MGS3 you have very limited camouflage, only if you had the right camo and in the right environment at far enough away could you hide in plain sight. It actually took some thought, what is the best camo as I traverse over this area.
And then it is all just so painfully linear and uninteresting in MGS4, all the way just keep trudging forward, why? Oh well, there's no where else to go. Don't bother fighting the re-spawning enemies, they'll just keep coming.

The great thing about MGS3 is the emphasis on stealth even in many of the boss battles. Often you don't know where the enemy is and also you can hide from them to get the drop on them, this is perfectly exemplified in the battle with The End, one of the ALL TIME greatest boss battles something MGS2 COMPLETELY FAILS at offering anything close to.

MGS4 tries that but screws it up by Michael Bay-ising it by throwing in a couple dozen commando troops in as well and give the Boss a small walking tank and rail gun which just ruins any attempts at sneaking in close and outflanking the boss.

To be honest, yeah, I suppose you could like Episode 3 as just a flash in the pan summer blockbuster... but it's a fucking insult to hold it up next to any of the Original Star Wars trilogy and the same applies for MGS even-numbers vs MGS odd-numbers... same director... totally different standard.