ps3, 360, or wii?

hailmagus

Jan 17, 2008
i want to know what your favorite nex gen console is. you know the three.. no pc, no snes, just the three big boys right now. also tell me why, don't just say playstation 3 because blue ray's the future.
tell me why.

slyder35

Jan 16, 2008
ford, holden, toyota?

They obviously all have strengths and weaknesses. PC is the biggest of the big boys by the way, why omit it?

ChrisP.Lettuce

Jan 3, 2008
If someone gave me a bunch of money and said go buy something, I would buy 360.
It has the largest number of solid titles I would be interested in right now. I mainly single player console games.

I think PS3 will be the winner but it is going to take a little bit of time for them to get a solid flow of games. Wii doesn't bring much more to the table for me that Gamecube didn't already offer.

Annom

Nov 7, 2007
I got both a ps3 and 360, I play the 360 much more then the ps2 but like its been said they all have their strong and weak points. I'll 110% pass on the wii, doesn't appeal to me but it might to some.

Bring on the fanboys!

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
i like the wii i think it's alotta fun but the games for it right now are kinda flat. my vote goes to the 360 for alot of reasons

1.game selection is huge, the ps3 has maybe 2 games exclusive to it that sound like fun to play and i've heard people say they make good rentals, if i'm dropping that much cash on a system i want at least 10 games i can enjoy off the bat.
2.backwards compatibilty, 360's may be kinda fucked but ps3 hasn't even thought of it they just expect people to keep their ps2's on top of buying a 600$ system
3.customer support, my 360 had the red circle of death and it was fixed in about 3 weeks at absolutley no cost to me, they sent me the box and the shipping label i dropped it off at the ups store and had it back in no time, oh and my 360 came with cables i needed to watch hd stuff something ps3 doesn't have going for it, sony as far as i can tell just loves waving their big blu dick in everyone's face. i've heard so many stories about sony just being pricks to people who spent alot of money on their stuff, and people who sell their stuff that i can't in good concience support anything they do.
3. while it does look like blu ray may win this war, i love hd-dvd combos that run on both hd drives and normal ones, something blu-ray doesn't even offer, and as for mentioned sony's great big hard on for itself leads me to beleive they'll jack up the price as soon as hd goes away.
4.downloadable content, xbox live has so much better stuff on it, now that they've added whole xbox games it's a great place to be, sure they could use more hard to find games but indigo prophecy rocks tits and i love playing it even now.

if you want to watch blu-ray dvds a ps3 and the extra cable may be for you, but if you want to polay video games get a 360 and spare yourself sony's bullshit

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
I think it really depends what your after.

Personally I love my wii. I only have 3 - 4 hours each week for gaming if I'm lucky and I'd prefer not to have to spend too much money on a hobby that really is only a couple hours a week, so the wii is perfect. There are plenty of great games available and they are a bit cheaper as a general rule. Plus the wii is perfect for parties and what not.

I think the 360 is probably the best console out at the moment, it has more games, better online etc etc. But for me I just don't have the time to devote to it that I really would need to do it justice. I'm still thinking of picking one up as a media centre so I can stream movies and tv shows from my computer, but for me, the games would come as a second feature.

The only thing the PS3 really has going for it at the moment is the bluray player, but right now I couldn't care less about bluray. I spend much more time watching movies and tv shows from files on my laptop than from dvds, which leads back to my interest in getting a media centre.
I know the PS3 has media centre capabilities, but the 360 seems to be a bit better in that respect and is cheaper to boot.

hpv

Jan 6, 2008
PS3 definitely gets played the most, mostly as an awesome PS2 player, but I have the most games for Wii. I wouldn't get caught dead with an xbox even if it weren't made by microsoft because there's nothing on it except shooters with poor console controls.

jessehalljrw

Dec 14, 2007
well i like the 360 it has alot more games and its just a fun console but the FUCKING PS3 SHOCKS U WHEN U OPEN IT and the wii is more of a kids console

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
PS3 360 has too many goddamn shooters. If that is all I wanted to play I would just get them for the PC'. I do have both though.

TomBeraha

Jul 25, 2006
I suppose the short version is Wii. Because it's got pick up and play, and while not having the largest selection of games, the quality of the titles within it seems much higher. At the very least, they hold more appeal for me if not others.

I'd cast my vote on the wii, I haven't got a PS3, nor do I think it likely I'll get one. I've not played any games for it, nor seen any I like. I do have a 360 however, and having played it a little bit, I still opt for the Wii instead. The selection isn't really that bad for it, I tend to take my time through games, and I still haven't had a chance to crack into Zelda, Metroid or Super Paper Mario. Mario Galaxy has my current console time and I've loved it quite a bit. It's easy to play for extended periods, but is very forgiving of my lack of consistent game time. Very pick up and play friendly.

That leads me to an issue I have with the 360. It tries way too hard to be a media center, something the MythTV box does much better. I can't just pick up the controller and play with the 360. I loved the couple Wii Games I've had a chance to really sink into (Excite Truck and Rayman to be specific).

The remainder of my gaming still happens on the PC, but it's currently being spent playing Neverwinter Nights, which I finally got around to buying - $20 shipped diamond edition on amazon. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it. If it's not that I'm playing Heroes of Might and Magic 5. I can't say that my 360 really does more than collect dust nowadays for me, though my roomate does enjoy playing Halo3 multi with people. A PS3 would likely suffer an even worse fate.

I don't really have anything anti ps3 except it's price tag for entry. I don't care about HD because to me the future is going to be downloadable / streamed. It's certainly going to exist along side the physical copies, and may eventually supplant them. The 360 doesn't have any games that really pique my interest, has the most annoying menu system that can't seem to leave me alone once I'm in a game and really doesn't do anything for me.

defcon 1

Jan 3, 2008
360 has too many goddamn shooters. If that is all I wanted to play I would just get them for the PC'. I do have both though.
I remember my brother saying that and I immediately exclaimed "no the don't" but thinking back he was right. It's hard to name a game that's not a shooter. I seriously can't think of any besides Oblivion, Assassins Creed, Project Gotham, Ace Combat. I'm sure there are more but I can't think of any. My PC holds all those games that have concurrent support such as Bioshock and Half-Life 2 (Curse Ace Combat and Mass Effect for being out of my reach!)

I'd have to say Wii because it's cheap enough for me to pool more money towards the PC. There are very few games for it "but to what little there is, has been polished to a mirror shine." Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime and the soon to be Brawl are EXTREMELY fun. Gameplay and a few elements deeper into the story do change (not including the overall top layer of plot, save the princess). I admit I have not played Metroid Prime: Echoes yet so I don't know how overused that game is yet. The weakness is of course the fact that it's mostly casual games an crap but I don't have a burning hunger for mass quantities games since I don't play 24/7, and my friends have the multilayer systems. I pray for an F-Zero game that supports online play (DS is another possibility)

TSED

Dec 16, 2007
I got a PS3 and am LOVING it.

I did a lot of research - games out right then, upcoming launches, etc. - before I bought my PS3. The reason I chose PS3 over the 360 was pretty simple.

The 360 has sports titles, FPS, Mass Effect, and... Uh... ?

The PS3 has a little bit of everything. As some one who doesn't care about FPS or sports games, that's a lot more appealing. It opened up with a jab of Ratchet & Clank, Motorstorm, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, some Ninja Gaiden Sigma <which is technically an exclusive, but not really>, etc. Variety! The first nasty right hook was the REALLY good stuff that's coming up. LittleBig Planet. MGS4. Tekken 6. WarDevil. Devil May Cry 4. The 360 having no more good exclusives (that I've heard of) lined up. Then the free online...

Then the PS3 threw the 'backwards compatibility' (I didn't have a PS2) into the ring and TKO'd the 360.

In short:

360: Started off as the more solid console between the heavy weights. Sony made a few gigantic blunders at the beginning, and it really helped sell the 360.

Wii: Was the innocent lightweight that every one fawns over, but can't really deal with its 'real' competitors on technical aspects. A few gimmicks, a good marketing campaign, and BAM. Bajillions of them sold, mostly to people that aren't concerned with the fact that it's about as powerful as the PS2.

PS3: Like a charging rhinoceras, a slow rumbling start. It's starting to break into a gallop now, though, and soon it'll hit the full run - from there, it'll obliterate all its opposition. I've noticed things that used to ridicule the PS3 now worship it. And it hasn't even hit its full stride yet.

jaisimar_chelsea

Dec 31, 2007
unlike the consoles who suffer from format wars the pc will gain from both formats

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2126924,00.asp

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I have a Wii and a 360. I haven't played the Wii since Resident Evil 4 came out on it. Not that there aren't titles on it I want, I can just wait until there's more. I figure five titles in one hit will compel me to get behind my TV and switch out the cables instead of just reaching for a 360 controller and firing up some Halo or Mass Effect.

We have Super Mario Galaxy and Raving Rabbids 2 - now I just need SSBB, Mario Kart Wii, and No More Heroes to be released locally, then I'll go on a Wii spree.

The PS3 has a grand total of two exclusives I'm interested in playing. I will probably pick one up before the end of the year, the exact point that happens will depend largely on what titles coming out for it I want to play. There are a lot of good looking exclusives scheduled for 2008, but will I want to play them? I won't know until they've been reviewed and I know exactly what I'm buying.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
The Wii is the only console that's given me any pleasure due to Red Steel and Monkey Ball Banana Blitz though.

I like two types of games. Arcade style and those with great stories. The Wii has the former but neither 3 have the latter * sigh *

Xerx3s

Oct 31, 2007
hpv said:
PS3 definitely gets played the most, mostly as an awesome PS2 player, but I have the most games for Wii. I wouldn't get caught dead with an xbox even if it weren't made by microsoft because there's nothing on it except shooters with poor console controls.
Spot the closet rabbit ms hater. To burst your little bubble there; the ps3 almost has just as many shooters with 'broken controls'. What other genres exactly are so much better on the ps3? Saying that the 360 only has shooters is just as rubbish as saying that the ps3 only has BRD and the wii only has mini/kidsgames. Just because they are best in those fields doesn't mean that they have nothing else.

SeniorDingDong

Jan 8, 2008
PS3 : I dont need any kind of blue-ray cinema, I dont like the games that are out yet , I dont care about the upcomming games like MGS and finaly its much too expansive. No way.

360 : This one might me be closest one I would buy, but the ROD, even if there is only the possibility it could happen to me, drives me crazy. The line up fits very well, the price seems ok, but still, there remains the problem I should buy a new TV for it. And I dont watch TV anymore. It was a close decision, but even the 360 would not make it because the majority of games arrive on the PC too and I dislike Halo.

Wii : Again, I was close to buy this one too. Mario Galaxy, Zelda TP and Metroid Prime 3 realy got my attention. The problem is, what would happen after I got this 3 ? Maybe I will buy WiiFit too, but somehow I fear, I will stuck on just a few titels like it happened with my Gamecube and N64.

If I would have too much money, It would be a 360 and Wii combination, I think that would fit for all my "gaming needs".

But now, it will be none of them.

sanspec

Nov 6, 2007
i see that the ps3 fans hate how the 360 has too many shooters, atm shooters is the way 2 go, the 360 has alot of different shooters, all the ps2-3 have is devil may cry and resident evil and about 5 sequels and just cause the 360 has brought out bioshock, a game the ps3 can only dream about playing doest make the ps3 bad, yeh they have there own version of hi def and its way more expensive (blue ray movies are around 40-47$ aus and a new release on hi def or norm is 27-35$) i enjoy going to my friend's place and getting my butt whooped on his games he already got mastered.

devilondemand

Dec 14, 2007
360 for me. One of the main reasons i went for Xbox was because of the controller. The PS controller had, after countless years, ruined my thumbs. Having to stretch my left thumb over to the middle of the controller was becoming too painful after an hour or two of gaming, and when i picked up the 360 controller it just felt so... right!

Also, as a massive fan of shooters the 360 games library is fantastic!