PS3-Exclusive Saint's Row: The Third Gameplay Mode Is MIA

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
PS3-Exclusive Saint's Row: The Third Gameplay Mode Is MIA

PlayStation 3 owners hoping to enjoy that exclusive gameplay mode in Saint's Row: The Third that they were promised are in for a bit of disappointment.

At E3 2011, Sony Computer Entertainment of America CEO Jack Tretton promised PS3 fans that when Saint's Row: The Third hit the console, it would include an exclusive gameplay mode centered around the game's now infamous sex-toy-cum-baseball-bat [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114175-Saints-Row-3-Dildo-Smoothed-Out-in-Japan]. Now that the game has hit store shelves, this phallocentric gaming option is nowhere to be found.

Joystiq reports:

After vaguely announcing "an exclusive mode on the PS3 utilizing [Saints Row: The Thirds's] signature weapon" back at E3, we never actually heard what that game mode would be. As it turns out, Volition and THQ apparently never settled on one, and the exclusive content deal seemingly didn't pan out.

We discovered as much when retail copies of Saints Row: The Third arrived for review on both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 last week. After booting up each and looking around thoroughly, we can assure you that there's no content difference between the two versions.

Inquiries on the topic sent to publisher THQ have been met with a de rigueur "no comment," and so far Sony is likewise mum.

Hopefully this news doesn't dissuade any of you Sony devotees from buying Saint's Row: The Third -- it really is a fantastic, hilariously juvenile sandbox game [www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9221-Saints-Row-The-Third-Review] -- but we do have a weekly "bad news" quota to fulfill, and it was either this or mentioning that you were adopted. Sorry you had to find out this way.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/14/saints-row-the-third-exclusive-playstation-3-content-amounts-to/]

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I'm adopted? So my mom wasn't kidding me when she said she found me in a crater...

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Normally, I'd talk about false advertising, but....I never even heard about this.
Yeah, I don't remember this ever coming up. Console exclusive stuff pisses me off anyway.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Meh I don't even listen to the "exclusives" anymore because usually they end up like this, or turn themselves into timed exclusives...or just become open to everyone.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TestECull said:
I heard somewhere that Microsoft was pretty insistent that any game released on both PS3 and 360 had to be completely identical or they wouldn't allow the 360 version to hit shelves. Wish I could remember where I heard it though.
Sounds like a misinterpretation of something which was posted here in news a while back.

Vigilantis said:
Meh I don't even listen to the "exclusives" anymore because usually they end up like this, or turn themselves into timed exclusives...or just become open to everyone.
Or are crap anyway.

That they didn't even have an idea going in means this would have probably sucked, too.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I actually forgot about this. I got it for 360 anyway (BTW, why am I writing this when I should be playing?!), so to me this is more around the field of good news as it means I'm not missing out on any content.

Tamrin

Nov 12, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
So I guess they spouted off prematurely AND pulled out at the last minute.
How is that even possible?
That's what happens when... wait, were still talking about videogames here right? >_>

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
TestECull said:
I heard somewhere that Microsoft was pretty insistent that any game released on both PS3 and 360 had to be completely identical or they wouldn't allow the 360 version to hit shelves. Wish I could remember where I heard it though.
There was news here that Xbox wouldn't ever release, what is now, PS3 exclusives (like InFamous, LBP) and that games would have to be released at the same time.

(I really dunno what to type in to the search bar to find the article)

EDIT: I did find it! http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.309008-Microsoft-Doesnt-Want-Sonys-Sloppy-Seconds?page=1

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Normally, I'd talk about false advertising, but....I never even heard about this.
This.

There was supposed to be an exclusive game mode? I've never heard anyone mention this during the pre-game hype and general SRt3rd excitement.

Does anyone actually remember this? And did anyone actually care about it?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well, shame on SCEA for announcing before it was nailed down, but I can't exactly feel tons of outrage about what sounds like a pretty trivial bit of the kind of exclusivity that makes a lot of gamers grind their teeth anyway.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
But you can still play the game right? I mean isnt that really all that matters at the end of the day.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
TestECull said:
Sounds like a misinterpretation of something which was posted here in news a while back.

Vigilantis said:
Or are crap anyway.

That they didn't even have an idea going in means this would have probably sucked, too.
Sorry you are right, how I forgot to add that to the list is beyond me haha.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Okay, so I'm not the only one who never heard of this before.
I just picked up the game and hope to be doing horrible things with that "bat" regardless of a specific gameplay mode.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
TestECull said:
Something like that. Microsoft's little issue with sharing is probably what caused the whole 360 getting Skyrim DLC a month in advance fiasco.

OT: Never heard of it! For a second though, I misread the first part of the article and thought they removed the dildo bat. I was like, 'But that's practically the game's mascot!'

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Hmm never heard of this exclusive... well as long as it is saints row 3 and it works forget little add on games and go nuts. Shoot, kill, maim, burn, runover, octopus!

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Well, this sounds less like 'mwahaha, tricked you, foolish consumers' evil crap and more like 'derp, we forgot to tell you' amateur crap, but THQ shouldn't be doing either if they want to play with the big boys. (Because the big boys already do that and they're supposed to be the alternative.)