PS4 1.51 Update Rolls Out UI Refinements

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
PS4 1.51 Update Rolls Out UI Refinements

It hasn't even been a week since the PS4's launch and there's already another update.

The PlayStation 4's 1.51 system update is now live. While it's not nearly as expansive as the 1.50 day one update that made many PS4 features available, the 1.51 update is also required and improves software stability. It also refines the user interface by clearly indicating when a user downloads a game and a game patch at the same time.

North American PS4s have automatic downloads of system updates enabled by default when the PS4 is in standby. For current PS4 owners, the system update should have downloaded for you already as long as your system is in standby.

Smaller and more frequent updates may be what PS4 users will see as more of a normal occurrence. The ability for the PS4 to download updates while in standby, hopefully overnight while the majority of people sleep - although there are always still some people staying up late to play videogames - so that PS4 users don't need to be bothered to sit through the update. More frequent updates also allow PlayStation to respond to early consumer feedback of the company's newest console. There are bound to be many tweaks as the PS4 becomes more stable and more people buy it.

Future system updates will add the support of major features such as wireless headset support and the suspend/resume function.

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/19/ps4-system-software-update-1-51-coming-soon/]

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Leave it on standby over night? Who does that? Preside kids who don't pay bills.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Why did I expect to be hearing about functions being taken away already?
Oh yea, I own a ps3 & psp.
And yea, how much power does it use in standby if people are leaving it on?

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
You know how developers nowadays tend to release games half finished and then just patch it to functionality afterwards? Yeah, can we maybe not do the same with the actual consoles?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Ronack said:
1.51 ... meaning there's already patches for this thing ... What a load of crock. So, both the Ps4 and Xbox One have officially released broken products.
I don't think you know what "broken" means.

Broken would imply that it's literally to the point of being unusable. No the PS4 currently works just fine, however it does need some improvements. That is not the same as being broken.

Unless broken now equals anything less than perfect.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
GonzoGamer said:
Why did I expect to be hearing about functions being taken away already?
Oh yea, I own a ps3 & psp.
And yea, how much power does it use in standby if people are leaving it on?
According to ARSTechnica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/playstation-4-hardware-review-off-to-a-mixed-start/], the PS4 uses 10W in standby, 70W in standby while downloading.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Game patches are common on most PC games. Now the same is done to the console games. PC drivers have patches and updates. Now consoles have patches and updates. Anyone else see the pattern? None the less it's no reason for the obvious rage and anger. But I guess it can be considered a good thing and a bad thing. Good: when games weren't patchable if there was a glitch or crash you're SOL. You bought the game as is and there's nothing you can do about it. I would think devs would be doing more quality control in such a state, but mistakes still happened. Minor at times, but they happened. Wouldn't everyone like to fix an answer on their test/exam. The bad: an apparent drop in the aforementioned quality control. The number of games that do release seem to have more patches. Especially day one patches to go along with the day one DLC. No one seems to complain when their phones update allow them to make the screen look 3D or some other crap.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
luvd1 said:
Leave it on standby over night? Who does that? Preside kids who don't pay bills.
And people who don't realize that doing so may harm system life.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
JSoup said:
luvd1 said:
Wait, isn't standby when you turn it off, but it's still plugged in? Or have I got that wrong and that's just leaving it on and walking away from it...

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
chozo_hybrid said:
JSoup said:
luvd1 said:
Wait, isn't standby when you turn it off, but it's still plugged in? Or have I got that wrong and that's just leaving it on and walking away from it...
You are correct. I had read during the PS2 days that standby could have an effect on your system life, so I always made a point to turn the switch on the back off when I was done with the system, same with the PS3. I don't implicitly know that it matters, but my friends who didn't do that had problems with their systems or had to buy new ones at some point during each generation, while I....did not. Correlation does not equal causation, but why take a risk?

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
JSoup said:
chozo_hybrid said:
JSoup said:
luvd1 said:
You are correct. I had read during the PS2 days that standby could have an effect on your system life, so I always made a point to turn the switch on the back off when I was done with the system, same with the PS3. I don't implicitly know that it matters, but my friends who didn't do that had problems with their systems or had to buy new ones at some point during each generation, while I....did not. Correlation does not equal causation, but why take a risk?
I've always left them plugged in, but turned them off at the back too. Thanks for clarifying that :D

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Korten12 said:
Ronack said:
1.51 ... meaning there's already patches for this thing ... What a load of crock. So, both the Ps4 and Xbox One have officially released broken products.
I don't think you know what "broken" means.

Broken would imply that it's literally to the point of being unusable. No the PS4 currently works just fine, however it does need some improvements. That is not the same as being broken.

Unless broken now equals anything less than perfect.
The prevalence of the RLOD may yet demonstrate a broken product. However, his argument is still not based around that.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
JSoup said:
chozo_hybrid said:
JSoup said:
luvd1 said:
My PS2 and PS3 have been on standby since I got them and they both still work perfectly fine. To answer your question, so I don't have to wait for dat shit to download. I travel to another city every week so if a new piece of DLC or what ever comes out I'd have to wait till I got home and waited for the content to download, but I can set up for my system to download when I'm away and the content is there when I get home.

I've got so little time, so any time I can save is a massive bonus.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
FizzyIzze said:
According to ARSTechnica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/playstation-4-hardware-review-off-to-a-mixed-start/], the PS4 uses 10W in standby, 70W in standby while downloading.
I dont think SOny knows what standby is. 10W is huge on standby. For example HUGE plasma TV on standby uses 1.5W. and those things are known to be energy eating monsters.
And its quite large really consdiering that for example my laptop on 100% load producing enough heat that you can litterary get burnt if you touch it in the wrong places uses 90W (and even less as 90W is maxumum power supply and we know it wastes some of the energy). On idle sitting on windows desktop it uses almost as low as PS4 on standby.
God, my lighting of the room uses less than PS4 on standby (6w to be precise).

luvd1 said:
Or people who think that paying extra 5 cents a month are not worth the bother?

JSoup said:
Not really. Modern technology is designed to live on standby. Unplugging PCs actually shorter their lifespan because the BIOS battery gets drained and then all hell breakes loose. Most harm to electroncsi are done when system heats up and cools down. keeping it on off mode while having something like IR detector on for remote (in this case controller?) doesnt really destroy technology. in fact the way things are built now it is recommended to fully turn them off if you leave for long periods of time (think - off to work). Of course electricity consumption is another factor, and since PS4 seems to be electricity hog....

Zachary Amaranth said:
The prevalence of the RLOD may yet demonstrate a broken product. However, his argument is still not based around that.
IF we are to believe SONY (and in this case we got no reason not to) the red light indicates overheating problems. That one either is there out of the box or it isnt. Sure as dust accumulates it can get worse over time, but hardly to the level of it blowing up within a year.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
Strazdas said:
JSoup said:
Not really. Modern technology is designed to live on standby. Unplugging PCs actually shorter their lifespan because the BIOS battery gets drained and then all hell breakes loose. Most harm to electroncsi are done when system heats up and cools down. keeping it on off mode while having something like IR detector on for remote (in this case controller?) doesnt really destroy technology. in fact the way things are built now it is recommended to fully turn them off if you leave for long periods of time (think - off to work). Of course electricity consumption is another factor, and since PS4 seems to be electricity hog....
I wasn't talking about unplugging from the wall, that can have all sorts of unpleasant effects on a wide array of appliances. More just not bothering with leaving the system in active stand-by (red light on).

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
JSoup said:
Strazdas said:
JSoup said:
I wasn't talking about unplugging from the wall, that can have all sorts of unpleasant effects on a wide array of appliances. More just not bothering with leaving the system in active stand-by (red light on).
the active standby is the intended shut down state. they are built to be on "Red light standby".