PS4 Bestselling Console In April, But Titanfall Still Bestselling Game

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Philip Kendall said:
Mothhive said:
I don't think Titanfall being the best selling game indicates that PS4 owners are neglecting to buy games, it's simply down to the fact that Titanfall is on Xbone, Xbox 360 and PC, which is inflating the numbers. I'm sure that if the Xbone version sales alone were higher than the sales for any PS4 game, we would have heard about that instead.
Yup. It's now been confirmed that Infamous sold more copies than Titanfall on XB1. Clearly, Titanfall is the best-selling game across all platforms - no one could deny that, and it deserves the number one spot - but if we're comparing the two consoles, which I think is the point of all Sony and Microsoft's cock-showing and number boasts, then Titanfall being in the top spot doesn't actually mean anything.
Rellik San said:
Baresark said:
Adam Jensen said:
For fuck sake, TitanFall is not an exclusive title. It's just not on Sony's consoles. It's on 3 systems!
Thank you, HOLY GOD! These people are really bad at looking at information. "Titanfall is on 3 systems, but they say it's only one, so I guess they are right". There is not a single platform game on that list!
As some of us have been saying though, are they pulling a naughty move by lumping the XBoxes (XBoxi? XBoxs? XBox?) and Windows PC simply as "Microsoft Platform"?
It's not naghty since they're stating facts - Titanfall is the best selling game. If we're comparing Xbox One and PS4 hardware sales, though, then pointing to Titanfall in the number one slot as some indication that Xbox One is selling more software (it's not) is kind of a red herring. Such is PR, eh?
But buy that logic then, Sony could claim that everyone who games on a Vaio laptop with a PS/PC game is using a "Sony Platform" to play and ergo that's good for their sales.

Here's the thing though the reason I say it's naughty (well maybe a red herring is correct) is of course, you don't pay licensing fee's for the PC releases, hell you don't even have to use Direct X you could theoretically use OpenGL. Maybe someone is playing it via Ubuntu or some other OS (don't get me wrong they aren't in all likelihood), meaning they aren't using a MS platform at all. So to make a claim based on the games sales figures on PC and lump it in with Xbox sales by claiming "Microsoft platform" could not only be artificially inflating figures as we've said, but theoretically misrepresenting them in their entirety. Which is something share holders don't look kindly on I'd wager.

Of course all of that is entirely conjecture and a thought exercise with no basis. Still interesting to see if this will become Microsofts defacto state with multi-platform games gaming sales across MS Platforms exceeds those of their competitors hardware.