PS4 Expected to Mirror Last Gen's Seven Year Lifespan

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
Gailim said:
7 years is being optimistic. I think in about 4 the entire console business model will collapse

HTPC's can already deliver the "console experience" better than consoles. as more horsepower is plugged into smaller devices, imagine a tablet that can hook up to a large screen and deliver that experience, then imagine a smartphone a few years later. were getting there faster than some realize

sitting on a couch playing a game with a controller isn't going anywhere but they way most people will be doing it in a few years wont involve the PS4 or the Xbone
The smartphone and laptop industry are moving toward the extensions of battery life -- Haswell is all about reducing energy consumption, not amplifying power.

In 2 years this industry will have made the complete shift to next gen, and sales will hit record levels until 2017. There are so many console exclusive titles coming, that even hardcore PC enthusiasts will jump on board.

Microsoft and SONY are pulling out all the stops; and I think they have six solid years before the next console is announced.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
bug_of_war said:
So it's $71.43 a year...that's cheaper than the games I'll be buying for it! Awesome, I much prefer spending half a grand on something that will last a more than half a decade before the next generation comes out. I'm sick of the whole, "It's been a year, lets make a new phone/music player/TV/insert technology here" and being expected to continually play large sums of money.
I agree, upgrading x to y is a waste of money. Our schizophrenic tech-culture overrates the smallest innovations as must have's. Get something made to last.

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
A thread to talk about the PS4 with at least one comment mentioning a console is still inferior to a PC.

I wonder if these are gonna stop one of these days...

OT: I still think the PS3/360 have plenty of life to live, so I still think it's early for a new generation, but oh well.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
Why do people whine about console life spans and yet have no problem with the much shorter lifespan of pc or phones? Who among us does not buy a new phone and pc(or upgrade pc) about every 2 years?

I suppose there are some peope who bought a nice pc that lasted 4 or 5 years. But I bet you paid way more than the $400 a console costs.

vasiD

Oct 28, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
I wonder if anyone's PS4 will actually last that long.
Implying it was Sony, not Microsoft, with a faulty system last gen?
I shiggy diggy.

Gailim

Oct 13, 2009
Adon Cabre said:
Gailim said:
7 years is being optimistic. I think in about 4 the entire console business model will collapse

HTPC's can already deliver the "console experience" better than consoles. as more horsepower is plugged into smaller devices, imagine a tablet that can hook up to a large screen and deliver that experience, then imagine a smartphone a few years later. were getting there faster than some realize

sitting on a couch playing a game with a controller isn't going anywhere but they way most people will be doing it in a few years wont involve the PS4 or the Xbone
The smartphone and laptop industry are moving toward the extensions of battery life -- Haswell is all about reducing energy consumption, not amplifying power.

In 2 years this industry will have made the complete shift to next gen, and sales will hit record levels until 2017. There are so many console exclusive titles coming, that even hardcore PC enthusiasts will jump on board.

Microsoft and SONY are pulling out all the stops; and I think they have six solid years before the next console is announced.
1. Haswell DOES boost power in addition to lowering power consumption
2. Haswell is meant for desktops, laptops, and ultrabooks. not phones and tablets so I don't see how its even relevant to my point
3. Even if they WERE for tablets and phones my post was more about the 3-4 year time frame, not next month.

and every platform has exclusives, including PC and mobile. The notion that a handful of games not coming out for certain platforms is going to change the fundamental problem that consoles are facing in the next few years is silly. Especially since since all it takes for an "exclusive" to become multi-platform is a few suits changing their minds (see: RE4, ME1, Crysis 1, etc...)

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
Gailim said:
Adon Cabre said:
Gailim said:

1. Haswell DOES boost power in addition to lowering power consumption
2. Haswell is meant for desktops, laptops, and ultrabooks. not phones and tablets so I don't see how its even relevant to my point
3. Even if they WERE for tablets and phones my post was more about the 3-4 year time frame, not next month.

and every platform has exclusives, including PC and mobile. The notion that a handful of games not coming out for certain platforms is going to change the fundamental problem that consoles are facing in the next few years is silly. Especially since since all it takes for an "exclusive" to become multi-platform is a few suits changing their minds (see: RE4, ME1, Crysis 1, etc...)
That's a pretty simple philosophy you live by; and by that rationale Iwata should approve publishing for Mario and Zelda games on the PS4, PC and Xbox One immediately; but we all know that he isn't, and he never will [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126694-Nintendo-Will-Never-Develop-For-Other-Platforms-Says-Iwata]. That's because exclusive titles are about promoting the console.

And the fundamental problem that consoles are facing isn't hardware, but the quality of games. It's a generic answer, but it's true, just ask Nintendo.

Oh, and Haswell DOES boost power, but only at a fractional rate above Intel's Ivy Bridge; needless to say, it's not the selling point the way Ivy bridge's Hyper-threading capacity was promoted. Power consumption is Haswell's purpose.

And of course Haswell isn't made for the smartphone. I meant that phones are built around battery life, not CP performance.