PS4 Impressions

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Yeah, that Ps4 sure has no games. Not like the Ps3, which always had a great library. How did that old meme go? "PS3 HAZ ALL GAEMS!"?

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Oh, I'm really sorry for all those console gamers who suffers through change of console generation
The very idea that new consoles aren't backwards compatible is ridiculous/outrageous (ridigeous? outriculous?)
It's only software, it can't be that hard to keep backwards compatibility.

Now excuse me, I'm off to play some modded Baldur's Gate

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
blackrave said:
Oh, I'm really sorry for all those console gamers who suffers through change of console generation
The very idea that new consoles aren't backwards compatible is ridiculous/outrageous (ridigeous? outriculous?)

Backwards compatibility is only a problem with Microsoft and Sony fans. Luckily for Nintendo fans, once Nintendo started doing BC we never had to beg them to implement the thing into their new consoles.

That with a laptop to play my games on, and I'm pretty set for all my gaming needs.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Dragonbums said:
blackrave said:

Backwards compatibility is only a problem with Microsoft and Sony fans. Luckily for Nintendo fans, once Nintendo started doing BC we never had to beg them to implement the thing into their new consoles.

That with a laptop to play my games on, and I'm pretty set for all my gaming needs.
Yes, but that shouldn't be problem AT ALL
I think $ony and M$ are doing this on purpose

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
blackrave said:
Dragonbums said:
blackrave said:

Yes, but that shouldn't be problem AT ALL
I think $ony and M$ are doing this on purpose
I want to say that as well, however a good chunk of them believe the whole architecture excuse, and I'm not spec savvy enough to even begin to get into a debate about that at all.

This is especially considering the fact that you can "upgrade" certain titles on your PS3to PS4 but you still have to use the original PS3 disk which means they sure as hell know what they are doing.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Dragonbums said:
I want to say that as well, however a good chunk of them believe the whole architecture excuse, and I'm not spec savvy enough to even begin to get into a debate about that at all.
Bullfuckingshit
It is called emulator
And you can make emulator that can run on any system to emulate any other system
I think it's even possible to make PS3 emulator that can run on PS1
It won't work, due to hardware differences (hardware power and disk reader), but in theory it should be possible

This is especially considering the fact that you can "upgrade" certain titles on your PS3to PS4 but you still have to use the original PS3 disk which means they sure as hell know what they are doing.
What? $ony actually did this?
I know companies are here to make profit, but that is just greedy

That is why I prefer PC myself
If any publisher/developer makes something I don't like there are always cracks and software to bypass any form of BS
Don't like always-online DRM? There is crack for that.
Game is unmoddable? There is a soft for that.
And if there is no crack/soft yet, then there will be soon
(crackers and modders are stubborn bunch :D )

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Super Not Cosmo said:
Hell the SNES launch lineup, all 5 games of it, while small was from start to finish full of good if not great games. You had Super Mario World coming with each SNES, then the other four were F-Zero, Sim City, Gradius 3, and finally Pilotwings.
I got my SNES the second week it was out with every launch title but Gradius and those 4 games kept me entertained for months until I had finally saved enough up to buy Super Ghouls and Ghosts and Final Fantasy 2. It may have been a small launch line up but it was far and away a more solid line up than what we are used to seeing these days sadly.
Even the N64 had Mario 64. I mean, it had a launch of like 3 titles, I think, but Mario 64 was a big game. A Mario game, for that matter. These days, Nintendo's like, "yeah, we'll get around to it. Eventually."

And I don't mean to just knock Nintendo, but they're the guys who sell their systems on an array of first party franchises. Microsoft has Halo, Sony has God of War and Uncharted, but a lot of their power is third party support.

At the same time, the lack of third-party titles of note at launch is bad for them.

So yeah. I'm rambling due to fatigue. But yeah, I had several consoles at launch with great games at launch. This whole idea of "well of course the options suck at launch" is kind of new, or kind of old (Some of the earliest consoles did have shitty launches). the only thing is, they wouldn't be perfect. There would be more refined games down the road. Camera angles sucked with the switch to 3D, to continue the Nintendo 64 comparison. Early SNES games weren't perfect and later ones would become grander. But the difference is, those launches didn't immediately become dated. Some of your mentions are still considered classics.

I wonder if we'll see anything from launch do that with these consoles?

Killclaw Kilrathi

Crocuta Crocuta
Dec 28, 2010
I'd like to know how they're getting away with charging us Aussies $549 for the console, even though the AUD has been sitting around (and often passing) parity with the USD for ages now. It does NOT cost $150 per unit to mass ship a game console.