PS4 "Isn't Allowed" to be Another Failure, Says Sony Exec

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Toadfish1 said:
Ignoring the fact that Nintendo would be in the exact same situation if the Wii hadn't, by complete fluke, become a massive fad, by what metric did Microsoft lose the 7th gen? They sold 80 million consoles and 819 million games, and have one of the most successful accessories in gaming history.
Usually people go off sales alone don't they? I don't really see how it lost in that sense, being in second place until the last 6 months of the gen doesn't really seem like being in last place to me (and the difference between 3rd and 2nd isn't that large a gap).

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Uh yeah Sony. But what if it IS another failure? Are you going to make your whole creative team commit seppuku?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
The PS4 I think will do fine. Microsoft shot themselves in the foot which will help Sony, and since they arent selling a Blu-Ray player instead of a console this time will help. Ofcourse, backwards compatibility with the PS3 would be a useful booster.

As for console doomsayers, consoles will never fail and die. The end of consoles will be due to the hybridization of consoles and PCs. Consoles are becoming more and more like most PCs but with more ease of use than a PC does for gaming. But people who fight such battles are usually too short-sighted to realize that.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
If the next gen console fail, then we shall welcome all the console players to the PC with open arms!

What I've heard recently from developers regarding the "maxing out the consoles" already with games especially on Xbone doesn't bode well for it, especially since they want this next gen to last 10 years which is way too long in my opinion.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Caiphus said:
Dragonbums said:
It's death knell will come on October 12. The executor is said to look like a Y shaped bird with long black claws and fearsome blue eyes.
Aaaw noooo. I've put my eggs in the wrong basket.

Get the vita, they said. Two touchscreens are better than one, they said.

Well, fuck.
They definitely pulled the wool over your eyes. Two touchscreens? Haha, it only has one. And a useless touchpad.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
DarkhoIlow said:
If the next gen console fail, then we shall welcome all the console players to the PC with open arms!

What I've heard recently from developers regarding the "maxing out the consoles" already with games especially on Xbone doesn't bode well for it, especially since they want this next gen to last 10 years which is way too long in my opinion.
Gone to be hard for most console gamers to accept the open arms of the 'master race'. lol

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Asuka Soryu said:
They definitely pulled the wool over your eyes. Two touchscreens? Haha, it only has one. And a useless touchpad.
Alright, alright. You got me :p

It has two touch inputs of varying efficiencies.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Yeah and I'm "not allowed" to drink with my anti depressants. Some things just happen. No but seriously, when the PS2 was in its prime it was easily in my opinion the best console of that gen. Last time Sony led the pack things were great. I wouldn't mind seeing that happen again.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Toadfish1 said:
CriticKitten said:
I called this shit years ago.

This is why people who say "Nintendo needs to die so that only Sony and MS are around!" are morons. Because it was inevitable that if Sony and MS performed poorly for extended periods (or at least, "poorly" in the eyes of shareholders) that they'd consider cutting out of the console market altogether.

Now Sony's finally coming out and admitting precisely what I expected was the case: that if the PS4 doesn't exceed expectations, it's likely to be their last console. And I imagine the same is true for the Xbone, since MS has already "lost" two gens in a row....and in a company used to winning, that's unacceptable.
Ignoring the fact that Nintendo would be in the exact same situation if the Wii hadn't, by complete fluke, become a massive fad, by what metric did Microsoft lose the 7th gen? They sold 80 million consoles and 819 million games, and have one of the most successful accessories in gaming history.
Even if the Wii sold as much as the Gamecube it still wouldn't matter to Nintendo.

To put a bit of perspective, the Gamecube was in third place. Beaten by the Xbox, and while Microsoft posted some steep losses on the console despite being second- Nintendo was still in the black for their Gamecube.
So for all intents and purposes, Nintendo had always made a profit on their consoles. Regardless of what place it's in.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
DarkhoIlow said:

Then if "maxing out" the consoles is going to be too expensive for devs, then how is that Microsoft and Sony's fault?
I'm asking this because they literally made those consoles to cater to their thirst for raw graphical power. Now they are saying their games can't handle it? Or it's going to cost too much to pump in all that power into the new systems? Why?
Isn't that exactly what they wanted?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Exactly how much profit does sony want?? I'm pretty sure there is no-one who could class the ps3 as a failure, and i'm pretty sure i used to be an xbox fanboy back in the days of stupidity

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
So Sony will drop out of the console industry, Microsoft will think "Hey, we've got the whole market to ourselves!" (face it, Nintendo is irrelevant at this stage) and start all these ridiculous cash-grab schemes that gamers will then get fed up with and ditch consoles altogether.

The future of PC gaming is bright, it seems. :)

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Extragorey said:
So Sony will drop out of the console industry, Microsoft will think "Hey, we've got the whole market to ourselves!" (face it, Nintendo is irrelevant at this stage) and start all these ridiculous cash-grab schemes that gamers will then get fed up with and ditch consoles altogether.

The future of PC gaming is bright, it seems. :)
Irrelevant doesn't mean non existent. By the whole, if any one of the three drops, you will still be left with now only two major console companies.
Nintendo has the money, to dominate and/or fill the hole that Sony left. Similarily another, smaller company could come in and fill the gap.
There is also a chance, that the Microsoft have no interest in filling Sony's niche at all. Which was boasting a huge library of JRPG games. And considering how people in Japan don't even LIKE the Xbox anyway, chances are they are going to go to PCs, handhelds, and Nintendo platforms. So even if Microsoft wanted that pie, those devs will shut the door in their face.
There is no guarantee that Microsoft will stay in anyway. Especially when the Xbox division is under pressure from the rest of the company to finally make a profit off the console line. They lost $5 billion dollars on the line since inception, and the rest of the company is struggling too with their shit Windows 8 interface.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I said something similar early this year. Sony is still in debt, though they have sold a lot of buildings and everything else. Thats why they made the PS4 as approachable as possible to gamers. PS3 had a difficult launch due to price, deleting of the BC etc but it still sold very well. An i know they are taking a hitting on tv market etc mostly i think due to cost. Other companies make much better electronics for less money, Sony have always sold on their name.

But maybe its just a whole different ball game now compared to PS1 debut. Games cost more and more every year. Consoles cos more to make as the race for better graphics and performance increases. Maybe its becoming a very expensive business to sell a console. But if they do stop making console, i doubt it as PS4 will be a success, then they will still make their great games. An maybe they will just let MS spend billions on making consoles and Sony will just reap the profit off the gaming side.

Although, i wouldnt mind if MS and Sony team up and bring out a console. Play Box? X-Station? Though would let Sony deal with the hardware side as they are way more reliable. :)

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Dr. McD said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
I find it especially hard to take Bethesda seriously when they say it because they can't even release all of the Skyrim DLC on the PS3 because they never took the time to make their development methods work better with the PS3, and at the end of this console era, are literally the only big developer who releases a PS3 game that can't even make their DLC work for multiple platforms. That's a Bethesda only issue as far as I know and its kind of sad to see them be constantly out done in terms of programming by tiny Japanese developers and smaller Western Developers as well.
Bethesda are kinda like on PC and XBOX as well. They really just can't program for shit.

I think I heard something about Valve saying they found the PS3 harder to program for once. Can't remember exactly what though.
Gabe Newell said that programming for the PS3 was a "waste of time" in 2007. He apologized 2 years later after the 360's Xbox Live update rules completely fucked up TF2 on the 360. Then in 2011 Valve released Portal 2 on all platforms (except the Wii), with not a peep about programming issues. And Steamworks on the PS3 version, a free PC code for the game, along with cross platform play to PC users.

There hasn't been any devs in the past few years complaining about the PS3 being hard to code for, and those that have, are known for glitch filled releases anyway.

Like I said before, it more than likely has to do with the way that Western Devs make console games vs.the way Japanese Devs do it. That's why I say that "coding is harder on the PS2/PS3 argument" is a bit of a misconception.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
I said something similar early this year. Sony is still in debt, though they have sold a lot of buildings and everything else. Thats why they made the PS4 as approachable as possible to gamers. PS3 had a difficult launch due to price, deleting of the BC etc but it still sold very well. An i know they are taking a hitting on tv market etc mostly i think due to cost. Other companies make much better electronics for less money, Sony have always sold on their name.

But maybe its just a whole different ball game now compared to PS1 debut. Games cost more and more every year. Consoles cos more to make as the race for better graphics and performance increases. Maybe its becoming a very expensive business to sell a console. But if they do stop making console, i doubt it as PS4 will be a success, then they will still make their great games. An maybe they will just let MS spend billions on making consoles and Sony will just reap the profit off the gaming side.

Although, i wouldnt mind if MS and Sony team up and bring out a console. Play Box? X-Station? Though would let Sony deal with the hardware side as they are way more reliable. :)
I highly doubt that a Sony MS collab will happen considering the Microsoft Entertainment and Devices division and the Xbox brand have been losing MS a lot much money pretty much since its inception. The Original Xbox lost MS $4 billion. The 360 is currently not profiting. The Xbone's launch is going to be very small with it only coming out in 13 countries and having a $100 price disadvantage to the PS4.

Basically, MS looks a lot closer to ridding themselves of a console than Sony. The Playstation brand and Sony Pictures are pretty much the only thing making Sony money these days, so I doubt the Playstation is going anywhere

Also, despite Sony as a whole being in debt, Sony Computer Entertainment and the Playstation brand has been profitable in recent times. I know Microsoft as a company has more money, but I doubt they're willing to spend the money needed to repair the Xbox Brand.

I honestly think that in the most dire of straights, Sony and Nintendo would wind up doing a collaboration. Hell, that was supposed to happen in the early 90s and Nintendo backed out last second and (very stupidly) went with Phillips to make the Phillips CD-i that came out in 1991. At $700..... In 1991. So Sony built upon their prototype and made the Playstation.

Needless to say I think by the end of this console generation we will be seeing one of the big 3 will be leaving the console game.