PS4 Outsells Xbox One by Nearly Two-to-One in the US Last Month

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Step 1: Drop the Kinect like the useless turd it is.
Step 2: Ditch in game micro transactions and gating off content behind paywalls
Step 3: Get on their knees and suck my **** while begging forgiveness for being massive arrogant twats!

Seriously, screw MS...they done fucked up this generation, maybe they'll earn another chance next console cycle.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Ieyke said:
blalien said:
This really surprises me. The games list for both consoles is nearly the same, and I don't think either console has anything that really sets it above the other at this point. I only reason I can see the PS4 doing that well is the blowback from the Xbone originally having online DRM.
The PS4 is more powerful, has a better interface, looks better, is waaaaaay smaller, has the better controller, has a better online subscription model and services setup, PS4 versions of games run better than their Xbone counterparts, the Xbone costs $100 more and comes with a stupid camera that doesn't really work and no one wants.

Basically there's nothing BUT reasons to get a PS4 over an Xbone.
Another thing worth mentioning: Most of the launch titles on XboxOne are stuffed with microtransactions. I don't know how it is on ps4, but i don't like where MS seems to be heading, if their launch lineup is any indication for anything.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Alex Co said:
What steps should Microsoft take to catch up to Sony's PS4?
Start offering a gaming console instead of a blueray player. but i guess its a bit too late for that.

thiosk said:
It doesn't really matter to me though, being a glorious member of the PC Gaming master race, I recommend the best thing to do is for MS to opensource their console and let you run steam on it.
Be hailed brother!

BrotherRool said:
I find the news about CoD: Ghosts really interesting. It's bundled on both consoles right? So it's fascinating how two nearly identical consoles, which were also identical in the previous generation, still have a genuine culture divide. The Xbox is still the console for hardcore shooter fans and the PS4 goes for more offbeat, often story-focused, directions.
i think it has more to do with the fact that people who buy new call of duty every year are... how to say it... more brand loyal lets just say.... than people who play games that are more PS style.

blalien said:
This really surprises me. The games list for both consoles is nearly the same, and I don't think either console has anything that really sets it above the other at this point. I only reason I can see the PS4 doing that well is the blowback from the Xbone originally having online DRM.
Sure, neither console has anything other than PS4 being much faster, offering actually worthwile games with its PS+, having better controller and being cheaper. that certainly is nothing.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Kmadden2004 said:
I'm not too sure Titanfall will be the massive system seller everybody's assuming it'll be, given that it'll also be available on the Xbox 360 and PC at the same time (and possibly Mac at a later date).

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Xbox One sales will increase when the game comes out, but it's hardly an "exclusive" exclusive.
It's worth noting that Microsoft are advertising it as an Xbox One game for the most part. Halo 2 was also on the PC but it sold the Xbox like hot cakes. Same for Gears of War with the 360.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
This news doesn't really surprise me, considering all the hullabaloo concerning the Xbone back when it was properly announced. Even if they've changed things since then, and from what little attention I've paid, they apparently have, I still don't care to waste money on one. Which is a shame, because I used to be a bit loyal to the Xbox brand.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Evonisia said:
Kmadden2004 said:
I'm not too sure Titanfall will be the massive system seller everybody's assuming it'll be, given that it'll also be available on the Xbox 360 and PC at the same time (and possibly Mac at a later date).

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Xbox One sales will increase when the game comes out, but it's hardly an "exclusive" exclusive.
It's worth noting that Microsoft are advertising it as an Xbox One game for the most part. Halo 2 was also on the PC but it sold the Xbox like hot cakes. Same for Gears of War with the 360.
True, but it is worth remembering that the PC port for Halo 2 was released three years after the Xbox version, and Gears of War on the PC was released a year after it first appeared on the console.

Titanfall, however, is getting a simultaneous release on all three platforms.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Hmm, what could Microsoft do to make their position better? That's a good question. Whereas I felt that the WiiU had ample opportunity to drop their console's price tag below $200 by dropping the gamepad, I don't think this would help the XBO. Even if they got down to the ps4 price there's still a significant disparity in quality of the hardware. They've also still got a decent uphill PR battle to quell. I wonder if this gaming generation would appreciate them acknowledging their dickishness and actually taking steps to show their remorse (which they don't have, fyi).

If they dropped the price tag and dropped the kinect then they could land in the $350 range or so. That would lose them $50 per console sold at the moment but would at least bring the console price into the appropriate range for it being underpowered.

What they really need is amazing games and fast, like this year fast. Sony has already announced that there are 100 or so games releasing on the PS4 this year. But what they both really want are games that make people want the console. The XBO did pretty well with Dead Rising 3 which I believe to have been the best launch title. Though I rather enjoyed Killzone on the ps4. Titanfall should help them out some but I'll likely play it on my 360 or pc well before even the idea of buying the XBO pops into my head. Especially with so few games on the horizon that I'd actually like.

Microsoft also swore up and down that there where features that the general public didn't know about yet. If those end up showing up then that could help. They basically need to make their machine look worth getting when a ps4 is sitting next to it and right now they've got nothing.

I guess the question is how much the $100 price difference played a role in their loss of market share. If it played a significant role, then there's nothing to do but drop that price. If it was their PR mistakes and a few other things that aren't price related, then there's not much they can do, not really. I'd say they're in a harder spot now than the WiiU was 7 months ago in which the WiiU responded with a $50 price drop and the removal of their laughable 8GB version.

So another question to ask would be if Microsoft is in danger of not turning a profit? Do they need to outpace Sony or is their market share good enough for the time being? Both Sony and Microsoft come in at just under the end price tag for Manufacturing and packaging of their consoles. So both are FAR better off per console sold than they were last generation. In a few months they should be more efficient at producing the hardware and should begin dipping into profit per console depending on what shipping+retail padding puts them at after. Anything Microsoft does could harm that and them only 30-40% of the market isn't a failure with such a large market.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
I feel as though no one's surprised. The PS4 is the better product (arguable, I admit, but can we not? Good.) is cheaper and is more consumer friendly. The only reason for any surprise really is that generally, people who are uninformed in the USA will usually buy an Xbox over a PS4 just cos, and there is a lot of uniformed people buying these consoles, and America is one of (if not THE) biggest markets, but maybe people have more sense than money these days.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
In other news, people reading this article think to themselves "No shit". More details at 6.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
No no, Microsoft doesn't have ANYTHING to worry about! It's not like it's had a long string of bad products, bad decisions, bad policies, and so on! There's absolutely NO HARM DONE!

Or, in fact, I totally called it and it was obvious from the start that they've lost their edge and have no idea what they're doing.

MailOrderClone

Nov 30, 2009
I believe it was noted philosopher Willard Carroll Smith Jr that explained this situation most simply when he stated, "Where the video games at?"

Frankly, it makes no sense to go out and buy either of these consoles until they have some games out that actually make me want to buy them. Neither console has accomplished this.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I wonder what the number comparison will be after the PS4 releases in Japan...

Suffice to say, if Sony can beat MS on their home turf of the Americas, then when the PS4 hits Japan...goodbye Microsoft.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Titanfall won't make a difference for a very simple reason.

It's not titled "Call of Duty: Titanfall" or "Madden: Titanfall".

Only people who aren't well informed and just buy the same two games every year would have bought an Xbox1 over a ps4 with reality being as it is right now. Since Titanfall is not a COD game, despite being "good" (spec ops the line is good too, metro last night was excellent) it will not make any significant impact.

PS4 will be where everyone who wants KH3 and FF15 will buy those games, it has a new guilty gear game, mgs5, it'll get all those multiplat AAA FPS things for the bros who know a thing or two about reality of systems to feast upon and then there's a plethora of niche Jrpgs and anime-style games in store for the rest of us as well as indie hits like Transistor. What does xbox 1 have in its future? Titanfall: Not call of duty and Halo: Not call of duty? Will these two matter? Titanfall is not even an exclusive, it will be out on the pc and on the 360 too.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
I don't think Microsoft really gives a damn. As long as their console sells well in US that's what they are mainly after. I mean the pre-policy-change localization should've been enough of a hint how little they care about sales outside US lol.

PS4 is the undisputed gaming-oriented machine this generation (well besides PC), XBox One and Wii U are niche consoles which serve their target audience. MS are fine with that.