PS4 Trumps Xbox One in Gameplay Capture Length

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
PS4 Trumps Xbox One in Gameplay Capture Length

Microsoft has revealed the Xbox One will only record the last five minutes of player gameplay footage compared to fifteen on the PS4.

Arguably one of the cooler features being offered by the forthcoming next-gen consoles is their ability to capture and share the player's in-game footage. Both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 offer this feature, building in a function that previous consoles could only do with the aid of special hardware. As with all things to do with videogames however, the question has to be asked of "which one does it better?"

In terms of which console records the longest, the PS4 wins hands down. At any given time it will record and store the last fifteen minutes of ongoing gameplay, which players can opt to save and view as they please. Comparatively, the Xbox One won't make it nearly that long. "The last five minutes of any game you're playing are always being stored on your hard drive," said Microsoft Studios creative director Ken Lobb. Despite being a bit weaker in terms of its recording length, Lobb and Microsoft believe the Xbox One will bring other features to the table that will help the console surpass the PS4.

The lynchpin of their argument, of course, is the Kinect. "Say you're playing online and you just did the best thing ever - you can't pause as you're playing online," said Lobb. "You can say 'Xbox, record that' and it'll grab the last 30 seconds of gameplay for you to play around with later." In addition to adding in exclusive voice commands, the Kinect will make it possible to add in things like voice overs that players can record while viewing their footage. While this isn't necessarily a huge advantage over the PS4, which will have its own editing tools, they're still the sort of thing many players might appreciate when uploading their latest Achievement to YouTube.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-22-xbox-one-records-the-last-five-minutes-of-your-gameplay>Eurogamer

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
15 minutes I think will definitely play to Sony's advantage because that's about the average length of a Let's Play video on Youtube.

MS's idea on the other hand... well great multiplayer moments happen when you don't expect them to, they're random, so by the time you shout ''KINECT RECORD!'' the moment may be gone.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
This is actually something I couldn't care less about. Starting when Sony showed its controller with the "Share" button I've been irked by the forced social aspects both manufacturers seem to want forced upon me.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
I am gravely indifferent to this personally, but hey one point to sony I guess? Hopefulyl the consoles will offer more intresting features like microsoft hints at... they kinda need a win at this point.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
This looks pretty cultural. PS4 is pretty let's play, while the xbox wants you to splice in a lot of stuff for frag videos. I wonder if the xbone will come with terrible bragging music to play in the background.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Josh12345 said:
MS's idea on the other hand... well great multiplayer moments happen when you don't expect them to, they're random, so by the time you shout ''KINECT RECORD!'' the moment may be gone.
I doubt it will take you 5 minutes to shout record...

Still, I love the fact that MS's response doesn't even apply to the Kinect features that actually stand out, you know, the whole movement recognition thing that it's known for. Instead, they've basically gone with taking advantage of the 100$, mandatory accessory and referring to their advantage as "We have a microphone!!". Great.

As for the actual differences. Depends what people are using it for. I doubt I'll bother either way. For anyone recording entire games I doubt either is sufficient on it's own, but both will fine so long as you record frequently, and both are perfectly fine for the saving of standalone 'moments'. So doubt it really makes much of a difference, particularly if they provide options to autosave repeatedely when you know you're doing some longer.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Meh, not a big deal for me. It'll make a difference for the Let's Play crowd but 5 minutes is enough for me to capture a hilarious or epic moment.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Seems like neat features for both consoles, and I look forward to trying the various recording stuff out on both, just to mess about with.

Personally don't think I would ever use 15 minutes back worth of footage, but it's a slight advantage to Sony for some people.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
15 minutes wow that's almost a full match online. :p
In other news PC still the superior platform.
Also sun rises.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
This could be good for recording awesome combos in the next Arkham Game and showing off my superiority to friends! Yay.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
This is a feature I'm actually pretty happy and mildy excited about.

I LOVE recording/taking screens. It's a fun way to remember a characters rise to their final state and a way to capture those "HOLY SHIT!" moments.

Also everyone saying 'forced', it's not forced on you. Least not on the PS4.

Chinchama

Mar 1, 2009
Mumorpuger said:
This is actually something I couldn't care less about. Starting when Sony showed its controller with the "Share" button I've been irked by the forced social aspects both manufacturers seem to want forced upon me.
This is the truth...absolutely.

I don't understand why every thing being developed these days has a social aspect. They want us to do their advertising for them as well as advertising themselves...

I just wanna be left alone...to many social networks and just crap to keep up with.

30 years ago no one had to have, lets say, 20 unique user names and passwords memorized, it's crazy.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
15 minutes sounds decent enough, but 5 minutes is way too short. Most boss fights last a lot longer than 5 minutes. However, this feature will live or die based on the post recording options of each console:

- Will I be able to upload and view them on YouTube, twitch or any other service? Or just one service owned by MS or Sony?
- Will I be able to include voice-over? After effects? Concatenate different videos?
- Are there any editing tool incorporated in the console? If not, is it possible to copy the raw video to a USB drive to edit it on my PC? Is it going to use some proprietary codec or watermark?

I don't think that feature will pull me one way or another about my decision. Regardless of my choice, most likely I will try recording 1 or 2 videos before forgetting that feature even exists... However, the first company that can give a proper answer to those questions will make the difference between those that designed the feature since the beginning, and those who think of it as an afterthought.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
No problem - if you need more than the last 5 minutes on your XBone the NSA has you covered.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
So, not only do you lock out people like me who have HD PVR 2s, Elgatos, and other HD capture cards, but now you don't even provide that much of an ability to record footage!? Man MS you really dropped the ball on this.

See there are ways around HDCP encryption for us Let's Players at least so I hopefully will not need to rely on these limitations, but I do know this will be a huge kick in the pisser for some of the people on Game Anyone.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mumorpuger said:
Considering at least The Bone is HDMI only and uses HDCP, this is actually sort of a big deal for any form of YouTuber output. And maybe that's not your thing, but it impacts an existing form of "social media." So I'm just pointing that out.

I couldn't care less for the most part, but inasmuch as the Bone and possibly the PS3 may impact my enjoyment of YouTube via video capture limitations, I do sort of care about this one.
oldtaku said:
No problem - if you need more than the last 5 minutes on your XBone the NSA has you covered.
"Xbox, call men in black."

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Fifteen minutes of HD gameplay is over a Gigabyte. And that's presumably in RAM, effectively making the PS4 a 7GB machine for 99% of the time.

I think MS made the smart move keeping it fairly short.

Note that both consoles will let you record hours of gameplay, it's just that they also record ALL gameplay so if some awesome moment happens you can always grab a recording of it. The XBone gives you five minutes to realise something awesome happened and save it, while the PS4 gives you fifteen minutes, which I think is way more time than you need.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Mumorpuger said:
Considering at least The Bone is HDMI only and uses HDCP, this is actually sort of a big deal for any form of YouTuber output. And maybe that's not your thing, but it impacts an existing form of "social media." So I'm just pointing that out.

I couldn't care less for the most part, but inasmuch as the Bone and possibly the PS3 may impact my enjoyment of YouTube via video capture limitations, I do sort of care about this one.
oldtaku said:
"Xbox, call men in black."
There is a way around the HDCP encryption since it is standard for all bluray players, and is required by law. Hauppauge has made a newer version of the HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition which has an Opt In audio cable and you can switch the HD PVR 2 to just have video go through HDMI and audio go through the Opt In line. It bypasses the HDCP encryption as it's been done with the PS3. Unfortunately that version is more expensive then the regular HD PVR 2, the model I have, so to get around it you're going to need an HDMI to DVI cable, a converter box, and an opt in audio line that will plug into the back of the console.

Either way both companies have made it more difficult for use LPers, but at least Hauppauge has seen the possible issues and are working on ways around it. It is possible as well that Elgato and Roxio may make newer models of their capture cards to work with the new consoles since those companies make a living off the capture cards.