PS4 Trumps Xbox One in Gameplay Capture Length

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Just 5? that is well if you are lucky you might show your viewers what you want them to see. But I agree that 15, the limit on youtube, is muchos better. Even if you have to cut stuff out of it.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Bad Jim said:
Fifteen minutes of HD gameplay is over a Gigabyte. And that's presumably in RAM, effectively making the PS4 a 7GB machine for 99% of the time.
The size depends on what video format it records in and at what bit rate the video is being recorded it. It varies in the size for everything, with MP4 and MPEG-2 being less consuming than say an M2TS video file or a TS video file which is generally what capture cards like Roxio, Elgato, and Hauppauge generally record in.
If for some reason they record in .AVI then yeah a lot of space is gonna be taken up and I'd question the person who came up with that as Fraps records in .AVI files and they will build up and take away hard drive space in no time.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Neronium said:
There is a way around the HDCP encryption since it is standard for all bluray players, and is required by law. Hauppauge has made a newer version of the HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition which has an Opt In audio cable and you can switch the HD PVR 2 to just have video go through HDMI and audio go through the Opt In line. It bypasses the HDCP encryption as it's been done with the PS3. Unfortunately that version is more expensive then the regular HD PVR 2, the model I have, so to get around it you're going to need an HDMI to DVI cable, a converter box, and an opt in audio line that will plug into the back of the console.

Either way both companies have made it more difficult for use LPers, but at least Hauppauge has seen the possible issues and are working on ways around it. It is possible as well that Elgato and Roxio may make newer models of their capture cards to work with the new consoles since those companies make a living off the capture cards.
So...It's a pretty big deal for the LP community and viewers, then.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Neronium said:
There is a way around the HDCP encryption since it is standard for all bluray players, and is required by law. Hauppauge has made a newer version of the HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition which has an Opt In audio cable and you can switch the HD PVR 2 to just have video go through HDMI and audio go through the Opt In line. It bypasses the HDCP encryption as it's been done with the PS3. Unfortunately that version is more expensive then the regular HD PVR 2, the model I have, so to get around it you're going to need an HDMI to DVI cable, a converter box, and an opt in audio line that will plug into the back of the console.

Either way both companies have made it more difficult for use LPers, but at least Hauppauge has seen the possible issues and are working on ways around it. It is possible as well that Elgato and Roxio may make newer models of their capture cards to work with the new consoles since those companies make a living off the capture cards.
So...It's a pretty big deal for the LP community and viewers, then.
Pretty much yeah we LPers get screwed over because of the limitations and the viewers suffer because we aren't able to record as much or in the same quality as before. The fact that both the Xbox One and the PS4 are HDMI only already posed a problem for some LPers as they still have Dazzles, EasyCaps, the original HD PVR Gaming Edition, or the regular Roxio Game Capture cards because those models don't support HDMI. Luckily if the newer models are made then the prices will go down for the other older models.
But then there are those who already have the newer capture cards that support HDMI, like me, who have to buy extra equipment in order to be able to record the same way we could before.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
I'm torn on this, on the one hand, it's cool that Sony took one of the bigger features of the X-bone and took a dump on it by tripling the length of recording.

On the other, I'm seeing a LOT of 12 year old years doing screaming LPs in the future....

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Diablo1099 said:
I'm torn on this, on the one hand, it's cool that Sony took one of the bigger features of the X-bone and took a dump on it by tripling the length of recording.

On the other, I'm seeing a LOT of 12 year old years doing screaming LPs in the future....
Good thing sites like Something Awful and Game Anyone exist then. :D
Really I can see that happening a lot too, that and a shit ton of Content ID matches and copyright claims. With this new system that both systems are touting you have to remember that YT's copyright system is completely broken, filled with false flaggers as far as the eye can see, and some companies might not like seeing their gameplay being featured on the site and will issue takedown notices for them. I don't know about that being an issue on Twitch as much, but after LPing on YT for over a year I can tell you that this can get very bad very fast.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Neronium said:
[..]I don't know about that being an issue on Twitch as much, but after LPing on YT for over a year I can tell you that this can get very bad very fast.
You used to LP? Get out! What was your channel? :p

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Diablo1099 said:
Neronium said:
[..]I don't know about that being an issue on Twitch as much, but after LPing on YT for over a year I can tell you that this can get very bad very fast.
You used to LP? Get out! What was your channel? :p
Still do, that's why news stories on these get my attention the most since these decisions impact me greatly, along with my friends. Anyway, I'll PM you my channel.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
I'm getting the feeling that now that both companies have fired all their main guns at E3 (and a couple more salvo's post E3), stuff like this is them stuffing the empty rum bottles into the cannons and using their own excrement as the explosive.

Look guys, the PS4's ship is still sailing quite nicely despite being a little battered and a few ripped sails. The XB1 is ridden full of holes, on fire, going the way of the Titanic. The battle is done, now. Let's just get the things launched.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Jadak said:
Josh12345 said:
MS's idea on the other hand... well great multiplayer moments happen when you don't expect them to, they're random, so by the time you shout ''KINECT RECORD!'' the moment may be gone.
I doubt it will take you 5 minutes to shout record...
30 seconds*. "Xbox Record" only catches 30 seconds of multiplayer.

No, I don't know why.

OT: Big win on the PS4, there. LP videos are normally around 15 minutes, and LP > mashup.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
While a nice feature, I don´t think it alone will sell more of either console. I can only imagine the many terrible videos we'll see compared to the decent one. People rambling while death metal plays in the background. Oh well

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Bad Jim said:
Fifteen minutes of HD gameplay is over a Gigabyte. And that's presumably in RAM, effectively making the PS4 a 7GB machine for 99% of the time.
...No.

No, fifteen minutes of HD gameplay at 60 FPS is about 40 GB raw (basis: FRAPS capture). And it's hard-disk space, not RAM.

mixadj

Oct 23, 2010
....With all this constant writing to the Hard Drive I wonder how fast Drives will crap out this generation. We might have red ring levels of storage failure a year in to this next generation on both sides.....

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
hermes200 said:
15 minutes sounds decent enough, but 5 minutes is way too short. Most boss fights last a lot longer than 5 minutes. However, this feature will live or die based on the post recording options of each console:

- Will I be able to upload and view them on YouTube, twitch or any other service? Or just one service owned by MS or Sony?
- Will I be able to include voice-over? After effects? Concatenate different videos?
- Are there any editing tool incorporated in the console? If not, is it possible to copy the raw video to a USB drive to edit it on my PC? Is it going to use some proprietary codec or watermark?

I don't think that feature will pull me one way or another about my decision. Regardless of my choice, most likely I will try recording 1 or 2 videos before forgetting that feature even exists... However, the first company that can give a proper answer to those questions will make the difference between those that designed the feature since the beginning, and those who think of it as an afterthought.
I for 1 hope that it gets uploaded to a private MS/Sony site. What kind of impact would it have to upload millions of the same cutscenes, or the same boss fights with minor changes (oh he used a pistol while she used an smg) to Youtube? I can't see the benefits for anyone in this. Not while we are doing the same things in the same games

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Jadak said:
Josh12345 said:
MS's idea on the other hand... well great multiplayer moments happen when you don't expect them to, they're random, so by the time you shout ''KINECT RECORD!'' the moment may be gone.
I doubt it will take you 5 minutes to shout record...

StewShearer said:
Despite being a bit weaker in terms of its recording length, Lobb and Microsoft believe the Xbox One will bring other features to the table that will help the console surpass the PS4.

The lynchpin of their argument, of course, is the Kinect. "Say you're playing online and you just did the best thing ever - you can't pause as you're playing online," said Lobb. "You can say 'Xbox, record that' and it'll grab the last 30 seconds of gameplay for you to play around with later."
30 seconds is enough of a drawback to ruin a lot of good moments of random fun being shared. Some of the best ones are minutes long.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Both reasonably pitiful, but one at least good for a single round in a fair few games. Honestly I'd prefer it not be HD and perhaps be able to capture a bit more.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Interesting, but I am still curious about the specifics. I'll likely never or rarely use it, but I wonder how it will work. Are we uploading to Youtube? Is that an option if not?

Anyway, 15 minutes sounds good to me.

Diablo1099 said:

Just to clarify, PS4 was doing this since it was announced. Xbox One looks to have cobbled a similar feature together to compete. Which would explain why it's so much less.

klaynexas3 said:
Anyway this is a little confusing. Is it saying that you can only record for 15 minute increments? Or that it is always doing that just in case I decide later to begin full recording, in which it would record as long as I still had space on the hard drive? Could we also still use voice overs considering all PS4s come with the shitty K-mart brand headset? Come on Sony, give us details.
My understanding is that it is constantly recording and the last 15 minutes are stored on the system. At anytime, you can hit the "Share" button and it will allow you to save that gameplay. Probably with some editing and such, as well. I'm really curious how this will work and how it will affect LPers and people like Angry Joe and the Completionist.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Um, with all the always on microphone malarkey, won't that mean a lot of 'Kinect Record' getting shouted down to everyone in games?