PS4 Trumps Xbox One in Gameplay Capture Length

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
It's okay, let's just forget about the natural Twitch TV integration on the Xbox One which allows you to stream, and as a direct result, store and record games for as long as you want.

No need to look at things objectively right?

baconmaster

Apr 15, 2008
I was going for the the Ps4 anyway, but I can't say I care much about getting 10 more minutes. I don't see myself recording much other than random silly moments in multiplayer games or weird experiments in Just Cause 3 (if that exists.) Recording is a neat feature, but it's only REALLY useful for certain people. Like everyone said already, 15 minutes will be better for "Let's Play"-ers, especially if they can export the videos (I imagine they'll be able to, but I haven't read anything confirming this.) Anyone going over the 15 minute limit shouldn't have too much trouble then, since they could easily record a second video and quickly piece them together later. I do find it quite entertaining how PC gamers are claiming superiority based on a 15 minute recording limit that'll mean next to nothing if the Ps4 is anything like the Ps3.

I'm not really sure why people are complaining that sharing is there in the first place, either. Like I said, I'll rarely use it, but if something funny happens I now have the ability to show people. Everyone says "WHY DON'T THEY TALK ABOUT THE GAMEZZ!?!" Advertising a console is about saying what it does, and what games it plays. The games have already been announced, and there will be more down the road, but some of the specifics of the console aren't known yet. There's plenty of news about the games coming out, but by now it has little to do with the console itself unless it's using a feature unique to the console. People are complaining that console news is console news, basically. The only time these complaints are valid is when they spend most of the time at a conference showing off features like this, like during the XBone and (to a smaller extent) Ps4 reveals.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Reyalsfeihc said:
It's okay, let's just forget about the natural Twitch TV integration on the Xbox One which allows you to stream, and as a direct result, store and record games for as long as you want.

No need to look at things objectively right?
But streaming has it's drawbacks with you needing a good enough internet to stream to where the video won't lag and the quality will stay the same on how it should. Not everyone can really use the feature and when streaming 60fps video it could cause serious issues with the system. It's why most people use capture cards along with XSplit for streaming because it's more reliable then just relying on one system. Plus Matthew DiPietro, vice president of marketing for Twitch, said that Twitch's services can go anywhere and aren't exclusive to the Xbox One so adding it into the PS4 is also a possibility, but as I've said relying on the console to both record and stream is gonna put way more stress on the system then it should.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Jadak said:
Josh12345 said:
MS's idea on the other hand... well great multiplayer moments happen when you don't expect them to, they're random, so by the time you shout ''KINECT RECORD!'' the moment may be gone.
I doubt it will take you 5 minutes to shout record...
No but it will take 5 minutes to open the hermetically sealed lead lined box that the Kinect will be housed in.

Micro$oft "customer ad quality" Rep "This guy never turns on his lights and never has any sound in this room..... Lets put adds for Light bulbs and a surround sound system on his dash...."

OT: WOW 15 OR 5 MINUTES !!! UR MAH GURD!!! That so beats the HOURS I can do on my PC with FRAPS!!!! I should go preorder one of these mid-grade PC's consoles right now!!!!

Still no real game news about the latest game systems.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Bad Jim said:
Fifteen minutes of HD gameplay is over a Gigabyte. And that's presumably in RAM, effectively making the PS4 a 7GB machine for 99% of the time.
...No.

No, fifteen minutes of HD gameplay at 60 FPS is about 40 GB raw (basis: FRAPS capture). And it's hard-disk space, not RAM.
I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, and judging by some 1080p MP4 files I have, which are about 80-90 MB per minute. Fraps is a professional tool so it uses lossless compression(not raw, raw is another order of magnitude larger), which is why the files are so large. But it is likely that these consoles will use lossy compression, sacrificing a tiny amount of visual quality for ease of use.

And hammering the hard drive every second you play seems like recipe for broken hard drives. I know Fraps does that, but virtually no-one has it in pink mode all the time.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Bad Jim said:
lacktheknack said:
Bad Jim said:
Fifteen minutes of HD gameplay is over a Gigabyte. And that's presumably in RAM, effectively making the PS4 a 7GB machine for 99% of the time.
...No.

No, fifteen minutes of HD gameplay at 60 FPS is about 40 GB raw (basis: FRAPS capture). And it's hard-disk space, not RAM.
I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, and judging by some 1080p MP4 files I have, which are about 80-90 MB per minute. Fraps is a professional tool so it uses lossless compression(not raw, raw is another order of magnitude larger), which is why the files are so large. But it is likely that these consoles will use lossy compression, sacrificing a tiny amount of visual quality for ease of use.

And hammering the hard drive every second you play seems like recipe for broken hard drives. I know Fraps does that, but virtually no-one has it in pink mode all the time.
Servers use constant hard-drive use. Heck, your computer does in some programs and games.

So long as they don't use an SSD, the hard drive will be fine.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
TheComfyChair said:
Adon Cabre said:
Revolutionary said:
snip
At least on PC there's choice about a simcity style debacle >< When (not if) MS and Sony decide it's time for always online, there's nothing console users can do about it. With Simcity, EA tried to pull some crp that didn't fly, the game didn't sell, people cracked it, ect.
Um, the console consumer decided the fate DRM via massive lashing it gave to Microsoft; so really, consoles are more honest. The problem with EA is that it killed SimCity. EA destroyed the director's vision for this title and gamers lost and PC gamers lost. Aliens: Colonial Marines sucked for similar reasons, but it was playable on launch.

Microsoft and SONY have standards that publishers must meet before launching their titles on those consoles. PC Publishers don't answer to anyone, and in Sim City's case, the consumer suffered. But again, probably 85% of all console owners have made this a simple hobby -- like watching movies, and playing titles should be as simple as popping the disk in or downloading it and playing.

TheComfyChair said:
Plus, if you want an example of the total opposite end of the spectrum, look up star citizen. Crowdfunded AAA gaming is coming (and very likely PC exclusive for the msot part due to cumbersome console distribution channels). It's going to be awesome sauce :D
Star Citizen is late 2014, so let's see how it compares to the Playstation 4 exclusives, The Order 1886. SONY developers are pressed to bringing out their hardware's capacity.

What's more, the developers have stated that SC will need a very high end PC to run the game on those awesome settings, so maybe PS4 is the way to go :p

And yeah, that PC might offer more variety in some areas (barring racing simulators and fighting games), but my most anticipated Fall title is Beyond: Two Souls.

I like the more linear, narrative driven genres. Last of Us, like the Uncharted Series are good examples -- and they're just too damn good to never have played. (And to think, I got a PS3 for the much disdained Final Fantasy XIII, only to fall in love with another exclusive series.)

TheComfyChair said:
Also, yay, finally someone gave a good estimation of a PC cost that someone would buy as a console alternative :D kudos to you for that. $700 is a decent price considering games are cheaper, more plentiful, and that PC can also do everything you can feasibly do with technology.
Except for console exclusives! The market is still divided by intellectual property; and I prefer SONY's assets to PC or Xbox.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Bad Jim said:
lacktheknack said:
Bad Jim said:
...No.

Servers use constant hard-drive use. Heck, your computer does in some programs and games.

Servers use more expensive, reliable parts. They also do copious backups. They also have hard drives in RAID arrays so that if one should fail, all data can be retrieved from the undamaged disks. They accept replacing hard drives as a cost of doing business and they are ready for it. Console owners are not like that.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Bad Jim said:
lacktheknack said:
Bad Jim said:
lacktheknack said:
Bad Jim said:
...No.

Servers use more expensive, reliable parts. They also do copious backups. They also have hard drives in RAID arrays so that if one should fail, all data can be retrieved from the undamaged disks. They accept replacing hard drives as a cost of doing business and they are ready for it. Console owners are not like that.
OK, then what about the constant access/write that can come from just using certain programs?

HDs are way more stable than they used to be, and can be written to for much longer.

Of course, they may store it on the RAM, but that wouldn't be very brilliant.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
lacktheknack said:
OK, then what about the constant access/write that can come from just using certain programs?

HDs are way more stable than they used to be, and can be written to for much longer.

Of course, they may store it on the RAM, but that wouldn't be very brilliant.
I don't really know which programs you are talking about. The only example I can think of is Fraps. A lot of programs will thrash the hard drive if you don't have enough RAM, and several programs like Windows Update, virus scanners, installers etc will make heavy use of the hard drive while they do their thing, and I also acknowledge that hard drives are rarely idle for very long, but if you have a decent amount of RAM your hard drive should be mostly idle most of the time. If it's constantly accessing you should probably do something.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
I can't believe PC players have been able to record hours of gameplay footage with software for about 7 years whereas console players are seemingly excited about the next generations of consoles ability to save 5-15 minutes of gameplay.

It feels like we're progressively moving backwards in terms of technology here.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
TomWiley said:
I can't believe PC players have been able to record hours of gameplay footage with software for about 7 years whereas console players are seemingly excited about the next generations of consoles ability to save 5-15 minutes of gameplay.

Console gamers have always been able to record footage for years as well, in the form of a capture card or other means. Heck back in the day you could record via VHS tape on the VCR and then edit it from that. This is just the first time that the ability to record is being given to everyone who has a console, albeit at a lesser quality and it's technically free (cost of console notwithstanding). Heck Hauppauge developed the first their first PVR back in 2000 and that could've been used to record gameplay, but there was no real place to upload them.
Fraps, while okay, is still not the best recorder out there due to the fact that it only records in .AVI format while a capture card often times has multiple options, unless it's a Dazzle which also records in .AVI. Plus, Fraps and other desktop recorders aren't free, with Fraps being the cheapest at $40 to unlock the full version from Fraps.com.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
Neronium said:
TomWiley said:

Console gamers have always been able to record footage for years as well, in the form of a capture card or other means. Heck back in the day you could record via VHS tape on the VCR and then edit it from that. This is just the first time that the ability to record is being given to everyone who has a console, albeit at a lesser quality and it's technically free (cost of console notwithstanding). Heck Hauppauge developed the first their first PVR back in 2000 and that could've been used to record gameplay, but there was no real place to upload them.
Fraps, while okay, is still not the best recorder out there due to the fact that it only records in .AVI format while a capture card often times has multiple options, unless it's a Dazzle which also records in .AVI. Plus, Fraps and other desktop recorders aren't free, with Fraps being the cheapest at $40 to unlock the full version from Fraps.com.
Well yeah, I wrote "software" because to me, there's a huge difference between utlizing a capture card and using downloadable software to record gameplay.

But yeah, in retrospect my comment came off as a bit too PC elitist than I had wanted. I just don't get the sudden hype about recording and sharing gameplay as a social feature. I just personally don't see the appeal of being able to share the last five minutes of gameplay with someone om my friendslist.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Really dont care at all. Will never use it at all. An will block it if possible to stop anyone sending me stupid gameplay footage to me. If people want vids for youtube, then they will just use their pc or whatever as usual. The only issue with this capture thing is retard idiots who play cod games online making videos and showing there hundreth "quick scope" bullshit videos. Imagine that, 15 minutes of swearing, screams of "noob" "gay" and "owned" over the top of bad fps playing. Please Sony/MS let us block all this stuff. Please, please, please. So for this reason alone, MS has won this because getting sent 15minutes of pointless crap is way worse than 5 minutes of pointless crap. :)

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
TomWiley said:
But yeah, in retrospect my comment came off as a bit too PC elitist than I had wanted. I just don't get the sudden hype about recording and sharing gameplay as a social feature. I just personally don't see the appeal of being able to share the last five minutes of gameplay with someone om my friendslist.
I think more people are just excited because now "they can do it too" or something like that. While most of the people who already are doing let's plays see this as a huge disadvantage because of how we are locked out of our capture cards unless we get some equipment to bypass the HDCP encryption which varies on which capture card we have. For example, I have the first model of the HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition as I got it 2 weeks after it came out, and as a result in order to breakt he HDCP encryption I'm gonna need an HDMI to DVI cable, a converter box, an optical audio cable and another HDMI cable which kinda stinks and is gonna cost me probably $70 or so (converter box is like $50). Then there are those who don't have HDMI supported capture cards that need to buy even more equipment.
But as others have said this is gonna just have people put together uncut footage all over YT and Twitch or attempts at doing LPs, and in YT's case I can see the YT Copyright Fairies having a field day with the game play footage as copyright infringement. It's also gonna make it even more difficult to advertise your channel since now everyone is gonna be trying to do it so it'll be difficult to separate the good from the bad at times.