PS4 vs Xbox One Comparison: Graphics, Specs, Differences

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Kahani said:
The Escapist Staff said:
PS4 vs Xbox One Comparison: Graphics, Specs, Differences
I can't help noticing there's no mention of either graphics or specs here. Considering that the hardware specs are one of the most fundamentally important parts of a hardware review and graphics are obviously a very important consideration for many people, that seems a rather odd omission.
Xbone loses there from what i have read, p4 runs things at either higher resolution or better frames or both, xbox uses a ton of upsampling to get frames in comparison.

Not looking good for xbox this round period lest if the gfx kids scream as loud they did when ps3 pulled that vs xbox 360, oh the jeers and taunts were oh so off the charts when ps3 had to upsample games to get them to run and ran worse to boot and looked worse cross platform usually.

If ps4 does that routinely just because ms did not give the xbone enough horsepower its going to be a flame fest.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
You forgot to mention several key details. While Sony does indeed have a more seamless experience in terms of uploading videos, you cannot upload any of them to Youtube unless I'm mistaken. The Xbox can. Furthermore, you also missed Forza as a launch title. So the Xbox has Forza, Dead Rising, Ryse, and Killer Instinct.

Also, the battery compartment, believe it or not, has advantages. If you have no spare battery packs, you can just pop in some cheap AA's and be off. Furthermore, you can also use rechargeable AA batteries so I REALLY don't see the problem here with a battery compartment being the default.
The PS4's facebook video thing is an absolute deal breaker for me > > would rather cut my left testicle off than use facebook.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
I'm going to be 100% honest. I got a PS4 completely because im a Sony fanboy. Thats it.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
I've never quite understood the fascination with "launch titles" or to a lesser degree "console exclusives" as a major comparison point for a long term purchase like a console. Honestly, that stuff all evens out within a few weeks. Long before the new electronics smell fades. At a minimum it would have been more interesting to see how each handles a group of multi platform games? Are the graphics comparable? Frame rates? Controls? Etc. start them with a common frame of reference. Which one has the uglier UI or easier Facebook? Blah!

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
vansau said:
Drummodino said:
Hunter Wright said:
I am still not sold on either and this article certainly didn't help, seems like it was written by people who just realized video games exist
How did you get that impression? The article seemed pretty thorough and well written to me. They analysed a lot of relevant areas, made comparisons between the two consoles and came to an overall conclusion.

You also just insulted the entirety of the website's staff as this was a jointly written article.
Don't bother feeding the trolls. Dude's got a total of two posts and used it to bash the site; clearly not worth our time or attention.
My apologies, it just irritates me when someone bashes other people's hard work.

Apr 5, 2008
The last playstation controller I held was the PS2's. I get on okay with the 360 one, even have one for those rare PC games that benefit from it.

How does the PS4 controller compare? My issues with the older one were the hands being almost level from the wrist, the location of the two thumbsticks (well the left one anyway) and the pointy handles on either side. How is everyone who's tried the PS4 one found it? Any chance of a comparison to a 360 controller?

I like that the PS4 controller includes a rechargeable battery pack. It's a very bad oversight on MS's part not to include one IMO.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Sigh...This is all quite depressing really. None of them feel or look truly next gen, the creativity for design just seems to have been thrown out the window...i mean, come on...some curves at least would be appreciated!! It all feels like they are made so you can buy all the other technologies that connect with them and become part of a particular 'modern' group. But only the specified group the companies allow. Which family will you choose?? Plus, aren't they both just trying to one up nintendo's wii U by sneakily robbing their ideas and tarnishing it with higher specs and apps?

Fck it! I'm just going to get a wii u i guess. Or hope valve can bring some hope with their fabled steam-box :)
Curves? Seriously? I hate that my PS3 had a curved top, making it absolutely impossible to stack something on top of it. In electronics anyway, straight lines are king.
This, so much this!
I hated how I didn't really have anywhere to put the boxes of games I were currently playing.
I have exactly the same problem with my new computer, no where to place my keyboard or games.
Curves suck when it comes to electronic devices!

OT:No graphics or specs? Kinda misleading title isn't it?
Interesting article, nothing that really made me change my stance on the xbone vs ps4 ''war''.
Probably picking up a ps4 when some interesting games turns up on it.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Rabidkitten said:
Yeah I gotta call you on the controller. That Xbox One controller is awesome.
My Xbox loving friend who has only played Xbox systems for a good ten years, really liked the PS4 controller. He liked the feel, the triggers, and the speaker that spoke to you. Didn't get to try the touchpad, though.
And he hates the PS3 controller.

And personally, I like it, too. Not that I disliked the PS3 or 360 controller.

What I'm trying to say is that controller preference is subjective more than anything. But you would be doing yourself a disservice to think that the new PS4 controller is bad just because you didn't like previous ones.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
TomWiley said:
A mostly fair comparison, but mentions of the PS4's hardware failures, laggy interface and lackluster exclusives seems conspicuously absent in the conclusion.

It seems like these are the kind of things that should definitely factor in when you objectively portray the two consoles' value proposition from a consumer standpoint.

I'm all for subjective opinions in comparisons like this, and the Escapist makes it clear that's really about what you want as a customer, but leaving things like the above mentioned issues out from a comparison that strives to be objective like this feels weird.
I imagine they decided to keep their review strictly to their personal experiences set up the hardware.

Frankly, it was the best way to go really. If they decided to base their review in part on reports from the wider community and issues being raised from them, then really they should have had to wait until the Xbox One had officially launched as well. Criticizing one side based on reports from the masses, as it were, when the other side hasn't even been tested by the masses, would lead to an inbalance all its own, because that lack of criticism for the Xbox One would not necessarily indicate greater reliability, but instead possibly just that the excrement hadn't yet hit the fan. Lacking such balance when it comes to the level of public exposure and testing, the Escapist really had little choice but to base its review on it's own perceptions and experiences. If the hardware they had been using had experienced the same malfunctions, I'm sure they would have brought it up.

Nazriel

Apr 4, 2010
One thing I will point out with the article.

"...hook up the HDMI, and viola!"

It's 'voila.' Unless you have to hook up the Kinect, HDMI, and a stringed instrument. Which I guess could be cool, but I'd prefer avoiding the need for months of instruction just to navigate some menus.

Could just be me.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Nazriel said:
One thing I will point out with the article.

"...hook up the HDMI, and viola!"

It's 'voila.' Unless you have to hook up the Kinect, HDMI, and a stringed instrument. Which I guess could be cool, but I'd prefer avoiding the need for months of instruction just to navigate some menus.

Could just be me.
The Rocksmith Viola peripheral is AMAZING.

Fixed in the article. Thanks!

Greg

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
If I were going to get a console at all, I would go with the PS4 simply because the Playstation seems to get all the really interesting, artsy kind of games - Games like Flower, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, etc. Either way, though I am planning to stick with my PC, it seems now is a better time than ever to be a PC gamer.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Product Placement said:
Not that my girlfriend would like the idea of that. The Kinect creeps the frak out of her.
Ditto. Even if I had the 500 bucks for an Xbone because I desperately want to play Swery's D4 (I got a Wii U in anticipation solely of Bayonetta 2 I guess), my wife won't let me bring one in the house. She's pretty much convinced that the kinect is hardwired to Skynet or the ESA, broadcasting everything in crystal-clear HD to the government and advertisers. I...don't really have solid ground to call her crazy about it either.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
I think I'll stick with the PS3 myself. Neither of these systems look like they are worth spending any money on, neither in "next gen" feeling, nor in quality titles. I'll just have to wait for the inevitable PS5 that will come out, and see if it will actually be a jump in technology worth spending money on.

vhailorx

Mar 7, 2011
Over all, a pretty interesting read for those of us who want a slightly more editorial take on the console releases. However, I do disagree with some of the statements in this article.

1) The Controllers. I have held a dual shock 4, but have not yet tried out the XOne controller. The DS4 is very comfortable for me (medium/small hands), but I suspect the XOne controller will be too. I could easily see Sony taking this award purely on the back of its own low expectations rather than actual superiority. I think that Sony's improvements with the DS4 are very substantial, while MS hasn't improved on their prior design by as large a margin (they didn't need to, they had a much better controller last time around). But I also think that the touchpad has the opportunity to be a real game-changer in terms of console interaction IF sony can get devs to support it (difficult with 3rd party titles). navigating menus is always a pain in the ass with controllers, but the touchpad can change all that, using either a mouse cursor a la a laptop, or a smart-phone like touch interface (which we are all already used to). AC4 seems to be on the right path letting you scroll the map with the touch pad, I hope that keeps going. Also, how can you complain about the (crappy) packaged headset, but fail to mention that the DS4 has a standard 3.5mm jack that accepts in-line mics. That seems like the best possible option for consumers, we can all use whatever headsets we already own and like (i.e., the ones from our phones).

2) Second Screen Experience. This seemed like the worst decision in the article. XOne has a featureless second screen app that MS has been making grandiose promises about for years. PS4 has an equally useless mobile app (without the grandiose promises). . .plus the ability to remotely play your console games on a handheld device if someone else needs to use the main TV. One of these things is not like the other. . . Just an indefensible pick. Sony is offering so much more. I could understand it if remote play sucked (a la PSP remote play), but the reviews to date have been quite positive, saying that basically everything but twitch FPS play works just fine.

Finally, to those who quibbled with the launch lineup comparison, I have to agree with the escapist staff: there isn't a standout title anywhere, so at least go with XOne's larger stable of games which offer more opportunities to cater to someone's particular tastes (even if some of the exclusives, like Lococycle and Crimson Dragon, are supposedly pretty bad).

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
So, in the title I see "graphics" and "specs" and such regarding things that I'm not seeing in the article. Am I mistaken?

MrDrProf

Sep 21, 2011
Yay! the escapist agrees with me! my life is now validated and I can go brag all over the internet that I am superior due to my preferred gaming platform!

nuttshell

Aug 11, 2013
Lightknight said:
So, in the title I see "graphics" and "specs" and such regarding things that I'm not seeing in the article. Am I mistaken?
It must be ironylol strikes again or something. Perhaps "graphics" relates to "design of the console and interface" and "specs" to "what plugs do I plug where?".

Bruce

Jun 15, 2013
TomWiley said:
A mostly fair comparison, but mentions of the PS4's hardware failures, laggy interface and lackluster exclusives seems conspicuously absent in the conclusion.

It seems like these are the kind of things that should definitely factor in when you objectively portray the two consoles' value proposition from a consumer standpoint.

I'm all for subjective opinions in comparisons like this, and the Escapist makes it clear that's really about what you want as a customer, but leaving things like the above mentioned issues out from a comparison that strives to be objective like this feels weird.
Second to last page. It conspicuously mentions the lackluster exclusives.