PS4: What you doing with it?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Lightknight said:
There's also several free to play titles if you care at all about those things. I don't.
Me neither, for a number of reasons. Some I listed in another thread about Elder Scrolls online.

7870 Ghost
Great card too. You still got a terrific deal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131546

I think X86 architecture will help a lot. As I recall, the 1st year of the 360 had fun but ugly games like Burnout Revenge. Within 2 years, they were doing Bioshock and Resident Evil 5 (meh game, but very pretty). So, fingers crossed.

Folksoul

May 15, 2010
Lightknight said:
Gorfias said:
Lightknight said:
It says resogun is still there.
For PS4?
Yeah, it was still there as of last night while the other two indie games were gone.

I tried Metro Last Light. I have it for PC using a HD 7970 and, while it looks nice but as if we were watching it with vaseline over the screen, thats still darn good considering you can get a PS3 for about $250 and my video card cost me $550 a few years ago.
That's rough, I got a 7970 in December for $94 on a Best Buy clearance shelf. I got a 7950 too for a friend for $76.

It's moreso just that I wanted to play this game and here it is, free with a subscription that I've already gotten a bunch of other free games from.

I look forward to seeing releases that really push the envelope of what a PS4 can do.
Yeah, but don't hold your breath. It took around 4 years to get there on the PS3. Though, I'm sure some of that time was due to the PS3 being specifically difficult to develop for whereas this is an x86 machine so unlocking its potential should be a lot more viable as the engines get produced.

Folksoul said:
Is FF-XV out? No? Then I haven't bought one yet. Getting Watchdogs for the WiiU. Shooters actively discourage me from buying consoles so I'm waiting for more RPG's to be released, and since Persona 5 is on the PS3, I'm going to be waiting a few years.
So, the mere presence of shooters on a console makes you so unhappy that you are discouraged from buying the console? I could understand the absence of games you like disuading you but not the presence of games you dislike. It does you no harm for them to exist so that's a strange statement. Perhaps you can clarify? As things stand, it sounds like other people being happy makes you unhappy and that can't be what you meant. Hopefully.

I suppose this could also have something to do with you already owning a WiiU, but I'll wait on your response before jumping to any more conclusions. For me, the WiiU's almost complete loss of third party support makes it an absolute "no" on my list. But I'm happy that it has some non-shooters for you.
Off the top of my head, the 360 has Lost Oddesy, Tales of Vesperia and Fable(s) 2&3 as **exclusives** that do not involve gun-play as the the main game-play mechanic. I play single player RPG's and Platformers usually. So why would I buy a console with an exclusive library that is 90% FPS? They're simply not my thing. I paid 350-ish dollars for Vesperia machine in hindsight. Never again. Most of the rpgs went to Playstation, Steam, or the DS and Nintendo is the only major developer that makes AAA platformers anymore. Although there are some exceptions to that last bit, Little Big Planet etc. X-BoxOne offers me nothing and neither does the launch lineup for the PS4.

I bought a WiiU FOR the Nintendo properties. There's a delightful/awful certainty knowing that even if this becomes Nintendo's last console, they will go down trying their damnedest to impress. and if it's not? They're going to pull off some amazing games trying to stop the former from happening. Great games WILL be on the WiiU. The question is "Will it be enough?" Any third party titles is the icing on the cake, but the cake itself is still good. I sorta find the lack of 3rd party on Nintendo's large console a bit perplexing, they love the DS and the WiiU is an HD-DS. What gives?

And I do plan on getting a PS4... when some games that do fall into my tastes come out for it that aren't simul-launched with a PS3 version or the WiiU. I don't have the money to drop 400 dollars for a machine that is redundant to what the consoles I already own can do.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Folksoul said:
Off the top of my head, the 360 has Lost Oddesy, Tales of Vesperia and Fable(s) 2&3 as **exclusives** that do not involve gun-play as the the main game-play mechanic. I play single player RPG's and Platformers usually. So why would I buy a console with an exclusive library that is 90% FPS? They're simply not my thing. I paid 350-ish dollars for Vesperia machine in hindsight. Never again. Most of the rpgs went to Playstation, Steam, or the DS and Nintendo is the only major developer that makes AAA platformers anymore. Although there are some exceptions to that last bit, Little Big Planet etc. X-BoxOne offers me nothing and neither does the launch lineup for the PS4.
Ok, so what you are saying is that the absence of games you like deters you from buying a console. What you said was that Shooters actively discourage you from buying a console. That kind of language indicates that their mere existence upsets you in some way. But if it's merely that consoles ONLY having those games is a negative then I agree. I am frustrated that the only legitimate games are currently shooters. I like shooters but I enjoy other games too. Knack was shit and Watchdogs got delayed. I'm looking forward to inFamous next month and do plan on buying Assassin's creed at some point. Outlast and Resogun have been fun but horror has never been my favorite genre. I'd say they have a decent number of games for a console that so recently launched. More than Nintendo did anyways if you don't count the games they released that had already been released on every other console several months before (I, like so many other people, don't count them and their dismal sales reflect that).

In the meantime, I just bought Ni No Kuni for the PS3 and am looking forward to that. I've heard it's Studio Ghibli meets a well-made JRPG for this generaiton, in which case I'd like it to have all my monies but instead it just took $16.

I bought a WiiU FOR the Nintendo properties. There's a delightful/awful certainty knowing that even if this becomes Nintendo's last console, they will go down trying their damnedest to impress. and if it's not? They're going to pull off some amazing games trying to stop the former from happening. Great games WILL be on the WiiU. The question is "Will it be enough?" Any third party titles is the icing on the cake, but the cake itself is still good. I sorta find the lack of 3rd party on Nintendo's large console a bit perplexing, they love the DS and the WiiU is an HD-DS. What gives?
I don't think any single studio, no matter how big (within reason, Nintendo being the largest or close to it), can carry a console. The thing is Nintendo knows this. They saw HUGE market losses in the N64 and Gamecube generations when its first party software was very strong. The Wii flew off the shelves because it gave gamers something that felt very new with the WiiMote and those WiiSports games. This generation is back to the stagnating era of IPs with a touchpad that isn't even a multi-touch screen like all of our phones are now. Weird.

And I do plan on getting a PS4... when some games that do fall into my tastes come out for it that aren't simul-launched with a PS3 version or the WiiU. I don't have the money to drop 400 dollars for a machine that is redundant to what the consoles I already own can do.
I understand. I am fortunate to be in a two-income household with both my wife and me being gamers. Waiting six months generally (but not always) sees a price drop on the console and definitely in games.

However, I have noticed that highly polished games are dropping in price far slower now.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Folksoul said:
X-BoxOne offers me nothing and neither does the launch lineup for the PS4.
I'm enjoying remote play on the Vita, PS+ gave me Outlast, and the graphics for Assassin's Creed 4 are very pretty. I'd love to rent the PS3 version and compare (I have that hooked up on another HDMI input!)

I bought a WiiU FOR the Nintendo properties.
I bought it because it is a fun, different experience. $300 and I got the tablet, 2 Wii U games. Not a huge investment to mess around with this new and different experience. It may never impress me like the PS4, but I don't think I'll regret the purchase. Already too many great games I want, such as Pikmin, Zelda HD. Etc.

New World Fool

Feb 15, 2013
I'm not doing anything with it right now. It's just collecting dust but I can honestly say I'm glad to have one. I'll probably turn the ol' machine on when some new games get released but until then I'm sticking with the Ps3.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
Well, first I've got to buy the darn thing.

After I finally purchase one of these fantastic machines, I'm going to work on acquiring a laundry list of games to play:

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
Infamous: Second Son
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
The Order: 1886
Tom Clancy's The Division
Watch_Dogs
Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty
Mirror's Edge 2
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Patriots
Thief
The unnamed Tomb Raider sequel
Doom 4
Outlast
Tekken x Street Fighter

I'm excited to own one of these. I'm really looking forward to the controller; headphone jack? For someone who loves immersive gaming, YES PLEASE!

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Warframe... some more Warframe, and then more Warframe. I'm an addict now. Remote play works alright but having to use the back touch pad to make up for the lack of an R-2, L-2 and the Analog stick buttons does make playing harder than it should. So I just play Resogun or see how my stuffs coming along in Warframe. WARFRAME!

Also downloaded Outlast, when in the hole in the fence, shat myself, played more Warframe.

Totally bought it for inFamous Second Son though, I am Sucker Punch's ***** and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Assuming Japan still hates PCs once their next-gen JRPGs and Fighters start coming out I may get a PS4. Any multiplatform game that comes out I'll be getting for PC, however. These days I am finding less and less reasons to get a new console, honestly.