PS4 Will Not Need To Be Always Online

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
Hi five, Yoshida!
I really like the sound of the PS4. Yeah, it's basically just a beefier PS3, which essentially just a beefier PS2 which was really just a beefier PS1... but I really liked the PS1;D

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Super Not Cosmo said:
If I were Sony I would be banging this drum as loudly as I could if/when it gets confirmed Microsoft is going to go the always online route.

However, even with all the evidence we have that the Nextbox will be always online I still can't think Microsoft would be stupid enough to go that route. I firmly believe that doing so will result in severely damaging in the long run despite how attractive it might be to Microsoft and the various publishers.
Xbox Live was basically proto-always online. Besides the whole arrogance of making you pay to use your own payed for ISP bandwidth. Windows 8 requires a live connection to do such obviously intensive tasks as keep your minesweeper scores and unlock new Mahjong layouts that we could clearly never do without Microsofts servers. I see no reason why they wouldn't be inane enough to keep going down that slope.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Not planning on buying next-gen consoles anyway, but none the less, good move Sony... Now the ball is in Microsoft's playing field.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
shadyh8er said:
Now just give me backwards compatibility and I'm sold.
Seconded. Still, this is a good bit of news. It means that Sony has pattern recognition.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
Hear that, Microsoft? It's your game to lose. All you have to do is make the next Xbox Always-Online, and you can guarantee that your console will be obscure and unloved, next-gen.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Sounds much better than the last time that was answered. Last time it was given after what seemed like a huddle with legal. If you have to consult your lawyers before saying No then I suspect there is a catch. As long as the tear down after release doesn't reveal any RFID detectors that could be turned on at a later date then we're golden.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
How is this news? We knew this months ago. I'm sorry I guess I am just missing the point of the article.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
HalfTangible said:
I find it depressing that 'this isnt always-online' is an actual legitimate SELLING POINT now -_-
I know right that sorta thing should be a given.

Drauger

Dec 22, 2011
Good now i know i'll be abble to buy a ps4, i mean i have issues playing tera online cause i keep getting disconetedXD, i don't think microsoft will make their console with always on, that's just plain stupid.

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
Funny how Sony can go and confirm it, even though they were really never under fire. Microsoft however had been very quiet and suspicious on the matter. Makes me wonder if they had it planned, and are trying to change it.