PS4 Will See an "Unprecedented Rush" of Big Games in 2016

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
PS4 Will See an "Unprecedented Rush" of Big Games in 2016

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/958/958732.png

Shuhei Yoshida: "2016 marks an unprecedented rush of big titles for PS4."

In a recent interview with 4Gamer [http://www.4gamer.net/games/000/G000000/20151211081/] Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony's Worldwide Studios for Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., said that 2016 will be the year that PlayStation 4 users think "it's good to have a PS4," as the system will see an "unprecedented rush of big titles" coupled with PlayStation VR's release.

"2016 marks an unprecedented rush of big titles for PS4," Yoshida said. "It's also the year of the long-awaited launch of PlayStation VR. It's the year PS4 users, and those who are on the fence on whether to buy it will absolutely think, 'It's good to have a PS4.' Please look forward to it."

PlayStation 4 has a hefty slate of titles lined up for next year, including Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Horizon: Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian, Street Fighter V, and more.

In another interview with PlayStation VR [http://fortune.com/2015/12/23/sony-exec-believes-in-virtual-reality/], saying that the best of VR games will "come out of nowhere."

"It's a completely new medium and the best of VR games will come out of nowhere, just as games on mobile or other new platforms like Facebook emerged," he said. "The most successful game companies on these new technology platforms were not established conventional game publishers, but small startups that spent many years focused on making games on this new tech. I expect the same will happen with VR. Hopefully, all of the game industry will develop on this new tech, but the most successful titles will be something that we never thought of in a new IP or a new game that's focused on great experiences using VR tech."

In other PS4 news, it was recently revealed that Hideo Kojima's new studio, Kojima Productions, will be bringing its first game to PlayStation 4 as a timed exclusive [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165530-Hideo-Kojima-New-Game-Timed-PS4-Exclusive-Coming-to-PC].

[Source: DualShockers [http://www.4gamer.net/games/000/G000000/20151211081/]]

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
"The Last Guardian"
Ha...ha...really?
I'm waiting for a DNF given how many times this game seems to have almost been canned.

Also, no love of Persona 5?
I mean, it's freaking P5!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Notice the phrasing. Big titles. Not good games. No, that's not a promise they can make. But big titles. That's all they're promising.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Comparing your future VR games to mobile and Facebook games makes me even more wary of this totally not gimmicky device.

Anyway, new Ratchet and Clank, so yay.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
To be honest, I am not really looking forward to any of those listed. Street fighter is a game that you either play fighting games or you don't and I don't.

Last guardian doesn't look like anything I'd enjoy.

Played a little bit of Uncharted 3 (got up to some castle, I think it's just after a big house burns down) and I just can't bring myself to play more. Admittedly I am not a fan of TPS games and the constant sticking to walls annoys me.

Zero dawn could be something but if it's too much of a survival game, I'm not interested. There are a million of them on Steam, that all seemed to pop up shortly after dayz got released.

No mans sky, looks like elite dangerous and them types of games .... just cause 2 was one big island and felt empty as fuck, how are you going to make a huge universe seem "full"? The more of these open world games I play, the more I realize you spend most of the time doing nothing but travelling. Say what you like about call of duty being one corridor but it makes the job of getting from A to B fun! Playing withcher 3 and I hold X and I watch a horses arse bob up and down, MGSV more time driving/riding/running than stealth-ing around a base, my skyrim guy has ran marathons! (So much so I gave him that shout that makes you dash forward and removed the cooldown on it)

Dreams, just looks more like a whimsical Project spark on the xbone, however Project Spark looks more user friendly, than trying to make something happen with the touch pad/motion control/light bar gimmicks on the PS4 controller.

As far as I am concerned with VR, you can do with it the same thing you did with 3D, make it the big thing for awhile and then forget about it. I can see it selling like hot cakes for awhile and then once the craze is over, so is VR.

Tell you what I do want to play but probably never will ... cuphead! Looks like an early 30's cartoon and like a platformer/bullet hell. Just read it is coming to PC as well, thought it was just an xbone exclusive, YAY!

Though I have been going through a weird transition where I am buying games but not playing them much.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
This seems a lot like "guys guys guy don't worry the games are coming.." pr move than anything else.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I don't know what Zero Dawn is, or Last Guardian really (though I've seen it mentioned about in its never-to-arrive wispy state).

Don't really care about Uncharted 4 or Street Fighter.

And yay, games I might potentially like will probably have dumb VR gimmicks jammed into them, hooray?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Silentpony said:
Notice the phrasing. Big titles. Not good games. No, that's not a promise they can make. But big titles. That's all they're promising.
Notice the salt, so salty, very salty. Seriously though, why so pessimistic?

ot: Looking at a list drawn up by some guy on the internets somewhere, I'd say that there are a lot of interesting games coming in 2016.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
maybe it's because I don't own a PS4 and have not intentions of getting one for awhile, unless I come into some large amount of unexpected money, but I don't see what the big deal about The Last Guardian is. big dog platforming? that's what i'm getting off it.

if Horizon turns out well, that will be a system seller for me. it looks really interesting. and no man's sky well... we'll see. I have a feeling that's gonna be a Molyneux game, if you get me.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I know sequels in an established franchise bring in the money, but it'd be nice if they put in a few original IPs. Get people excited for new content, instead of rolling their eyes over the next installment of Popular Franchise #4.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
The cynic in me is telling me not to believe a word of it, but the PS4 owner in me is telling me to throw a party. If this turns out to be true, fan-fucking-tastic! I'll have a bunch of awesome games to look forward to next year. If not, ah well. I'll just keep on waiting for Pirate Warriors 4.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
While several of those games are at least on my "Watch List", I do wonder where No Man's Sky is. That game looks amazing.

bluegate said:
Silentpony said:
Notice the salt, so salty, very salty. Seriously though, why so pessimistic?

ot: Looking at a list drawn up by some guy on the internets somewhere, I'd say that there are a lot of interesting games coming in 2016.

Meh. Honestly, I'm half tempted to put that guy on my ignore list (It would be elite company as it is empty). He's so cynical, I think it's giving me cancer. I don't think I've seen even one vaguely positive comment from him. It seriously has to be tiring being that negative all the time.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Not a Street Fighter fan, not an Uncharted fan, interested in Zero Dawn.

As for Last Guardian? I'll believe it when I see it.

Now then. WHERE! PERSONA! FIVE!?

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Street Fighter and No Man's Sky leave me cold, but Uncharted 4... well, the games were decent fun at the very least, so I'll likely play this one.
The last Guardian is a game I'm looking forward to with cautious optimism; it looks good, like something I could love, but I'm wary of those perpetually delayed games from development hell. Certainly not pre-order material, if I were a pre-order person to begin with.
Horizon: Zero Dawn is the game I'm pinning my hopes on. That E3 video was so utterly captivating, I really hope this one will turn out to be special. Many things that could go wrong with ambitious titles like this one, but there's a chance of it becoming a hit. God, I hope it turns out as great as it looks.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
About fucking time, what it's been 3 years now and the library for games for it is still only in the dozens TOPS?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
otakon17 said:
About fucking time, what it's been 3 years now and the library for games for it is still only in the dozens TOPS?
Two years actually and there are quite a lot of games released for it;
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_4_games

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
It should be noted that a big reason why 2016 is going to be such a great year is the sheer number of games that were delayed last year.

Still I am excited to see some of these titles finally hit shelves.

Tanis said:
"The Last Guardian"
Ha...ha...really?
I'm waiting for a DNF given how many times this game seems to have almost been canned.
Footage of gameplay was finally shown this past E3. Looks like it's finally going to happen. No idea if it will make a 2016 release though.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Saltyk said:
While several of those games are at least on my "Watch List", I do wonder where No Man's Sky is. That game looks amazing.
No Man's Sky has an updated FB page that is fairly useful, though most the updates are videos of Sean Murray in various places with various people playing the game whilst grinning lots. It has a release of June apparently so far as i'm aware. So much time.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Too bad "big" doesn't necessarily mean "good" and even then most of those titles aren't coming from Sony themselves, thus it's kinda pointless. Then again Sony are legendary at this point for blowing tons of hot air on a monthly basis so it's just par for the course.