PS5 Teardown: Up Close and Personal

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Solid state storage is not expensive, not in the kinds of sizes you’d be looking at to supplement the PS5 storage.
So, it comes with a 1 TB drive. I think you could upgrade with this:
https://www.microcenter.com/product...80-pcie-nvme-30-x4-internal-solid-state-drive. Pricey now. Maybe go for 1/2 that in the next 2 years or so.

I dunno if I'd get a 1 TB expansion for a total of 2. I have a PS4 with 2 TB and filled it up pretty quick. The other has an 8 TB external which does give me some trouble (I think it is barely recognized by the PS4 Pro due to its size) but I've got about every PS+ game I've gotten in the last 7 years and then some. I've stored about 4 to 5 TB so far.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So, it comes with a 1 TB drive. I think you could upgrade with this:
https://www.microcenter.com/product...80-pcie-nvme-30-x4-internal-solid-state-drive. Pricey now. Maybe go for 1/2 that in the next 2 years or so.

I dunno if I'd get a 1 TB expansion for a total of 2. I have a PS4 with 2 TB and filled it up pretty quick. The other has an 8 TB external which does give me some trouble (I think it is barely recognized by the PS4 Pro due to its size) but I've got about every PS+ game I've gotten in the last 7 years and then some. I've stored about 4 to 5 TB so far.
$229 is not a bad price for 2TB of NVME storage. Its actually quite excellent.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I just don't know if I'll get to put it in my living room. Thing is just not some nearly unnoticeable box. Wife will not be happy and you know the saying... happy wife, happy life...

Might put it on a Samsung 65" 4K curve in my addition but that TV has no HDR. First world problems, I know.

I just piled up my PS+ into 2023 getting 12 month sales when I can do so. What if well before then, they stop supporting PS4 as they did with PS3 and Vita?
I really think the pay wall, plus free games after you buy the pay wall, plus the storage issues next gen will have (you want the full gen 9 experience you need to use expensive solid state drive storage).... this is going to be a challenging generation.

Are you more concerned with the fact you can’t hide/explain the mere purchase of what will obviously be recognized as a shiny new gaming console, or just that the size of it won’t be aesthetically pleasing in her eyes?

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Are you more concerned with the fact you can’t hide/explain the mere purchase of what will obviously be recognized as a shiny new gaming console, or just that the size of it won’t be aesthetically pleasing in her eyes?
It's design and size. She will find it un-sightly. She'll kvetch about me making the purchase but she'll get over it. In time :) But yeah, size and design. Me? You ever hear comedian Tim Allen's grunt noise when he's excited? I'm doing that just thinking about PS5!

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker