PSN Ad Uses Xbox Exclusive Sunset Overdrive's Font

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
PSN Ad Uses Xbox Exclusive Sunset Overdrive's Font

A web designer at Sony is really hoping that Sunset Overdrive gets ported to the PS4.

Sunset Overdrive is an upcoming Xbox One exclusive about shooting energy drink zombies. As you can see from its box art [http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/835/835094.jpg] it, like many other video games, has a very distinctive font being used for the title. Now, take a look at the image to the right, a PSN advertisement for a sale on zombie games. Notice anything? The font, while a different color, is unmistakably the same.

So how did this happen? Well, Insomniac Games actually released the Sunset Overdrive font Tweeted [http://www.dafont.com/overdrive-sunset.font], "Hey @Playstation. Nice font. Glad you guys are excited for @SunsetOverdrive too."

We don't know if this is an intentional nod towards the developer (especially given that the sale is focused on zombies), or an unintentional snafu, considering the game won't be available on Sony platforms.

We've reached out to Sony for a comment.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-22-psn-ad-uses-the-font-from-xbox-one-exclusive-sunset-overdrive]

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
That's actually a pretty awesome font. I think I'll pick it up myself.

It would be an interesting choice if it was intentional. I don't think it could have been an accident- I mean, you'd have to go out of your way to take it. Unless one of Sony's designers was trying to pass the font off as his own so he wouldn't have to actually do work.

Captcha: Remain Calm

...I feel pretty calm already, though.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
Oh Sony...

Well as always I am happy to see the Sunset Overdrive team take it and run with it.
I am super keen for that game, it seems Sony has accidentally given Microsoft some free marketing.

saiga123

Oct 22, 2014
jackpipsam said:
Oh Sony...

Well as always I am happy to see the Sunset Overdrive team take it and run with it.
I am super keen for that game, it seems Sony has accidentally given Microsoft some free marketing.
It seems like the opposite to me. I mean, anyone who is able to recognise the font are probably already well aware of Sunset Overdrive but since Insomniac tweeted this there has been at least 3 articles about it, all of which have a picture of the ad. I think it's promoted the sale more than it's promoted the game.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I for one didn't notice the font. Didn't even know it was a unique font for that matter. Kinda cool looking for what it's worth. Still does it promote Sunset Overdrive? At first no, but now that this story has come out it does give it more exposure. Actually it gives both of them exposure. Sony's sale and the Xbox One game. I'd say they're leeching off one another.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Ah, Sony, I love ya, but you done shat the bed yet again.

Sucks though as they've talk about the game like its the lovechild of Resistance and Ratchet & Clank, thats like a Bungie game being heavily promoted on the Playstat- oh, wait. Nevermind me, carry on.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
MrHide-Patten said:

Sucks though as they've talk about the game like its the lovechild of Resistance and Ratchet & Clank, thats like a Bungie game being heavily promoted on the Playstat- oh, wait. Nevermind me, carry on.
I don't know. It could be a snafu, or it could be an intentional joking jab. My interpretation was like those Asylum Film movies with similar names and logos and it made me think "well, as a PS4 owner, I am missing out on Sunset Overdrive, but now I'm seeing a bunch of games that are remotely similar for whetting my zombie-killing appetite".

Considering how close the two companies were/are, I think it's no harm, no foul either way.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Honestly, I would say let Microsoft keep Sunset Overdrive, I am looking forward to Insomniac rebooting the Ratchet and Clank series to tie-in with the movie coming out next year(?). *Squee!!*

Now, all we need is a reboot of Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and... Jak and Daxter (I guess).

oversoon

Oct 12, 2013
It reminds me of this in reverse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwu0gExNVuw . It's licensed music and Sony doesn't own it, but Microsoft totally knew that this song was associated with Little Big Planet back when they did this.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Wasn't aware it was a "new" font style, it looked like generic sloppy paint style to me.

OT: thanks for the heads up on the sale, that is far more interesting than discussing who used what font for the page banner.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Robbo said:
I never knew about this sale. Now I do. Sony PR team 9001X > M$.
Yeah, if intentional then it's a very, very smart marketing move. They've done nothing wrong, made certain that everyone splashes the full photo of sale info everywhere, and come off looking like adorably cheeky scamps.

Well played Sony.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
MrHide-Patten said:
Not really sure how using a freely available font in an ad qualifies as shitting the bed. Regardless of its origins.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Did Sunset overdrive team design that font themselves? because if they picked it from existing fonts they really cannot complain that somone else also picked it. if they designed it themselves then yes they can be upset.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
So some poor graphics artist sod fucked up and didn't know sunset overdrive.
Let's rub it in more to make sure they feel the consequences.
This is a non-story, most people saying here that "sony done fucked up" wouldn't even have noticed if you didn't point it out.