PSN And Xbox Live Are Experiencing Major Outages - Update 2

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
mad825 said:
Lightknight said:
If Anonymous takes them down, I'll be quite pleased. At least Anonymous tries to champion worthwhile causes instead of just bullying around consumers and ruining the playground for everyone like Lizard Squad is doing here.
Assuming that Anonymous has an identity whilst also assuming that a anonymity has an agenda...Of course. When it comes to online hackers, there's no lesser evil. They're all the same.
And you've come to this conclusion through a series of surveys and tests with an appropriate survey size of hackers to question? Did you wear a lab coat throughout questioning and eye protection while writing down the results?

Or, did you pull the claim that "they're all the same" out of nothing? There is a massive difference between various hackers and groups. From level of skill to what they actually do.

I'm willing to bet that these hackers have multiple names behind them.
Not sure what the point is here. Is there a conspiracy theory you're pitching here?

Echopunk

Jul 6, 2011
Rozalia1 said:
What are you on about? What does Online DRM have to do with this exactly. If you want to play online you have to play online... you need to be online to play online so... yes I am aware always online DRM exists but this is not the problem.
The service is down due to attacks, not because some fabled DRM has gone haywire and is locking people out.
The matter to which I am referring is this: I was locked out of the SINGLE PLAYER content of Dragon Age Inquisition due to my console being unable to reach through the network and connect with Origin, or whatever it has to connect with on the other end. The "connection to Origin" message just repeated.

I did find out that you can opt not to let it log in, but you have to be able to connect to the service in order to get past the "attempting to connect to..." screen and actually accomplish that. As soon as the network was back up, I did just that.

MeTalHeD

Feb 19, 2014
Lightknight said:
Not sure Sony is the one to blame here. That's like bitching at a bank that just had half of their employees murdered in a robbery because the line isn't moving like you think it should. Not their fault. This group has been leaning particularly heavily on Sony. So I wouldn't be surprised if they hit them harder than Microsoft.

What amazes me is that they actually got Microsoft. Other groups have been trying that for years. If you can get Microsoft then you can kinda get any sort of online service that people have access to.
Well, it is their security that got compromised. Secondly, your analogy is inaccurate. It would be more like hackers overwhelming the bank's systems hence the line moving slowly. As far as I understand they didn't kill anyone (you'd swear they did from some of the responses here). All people couldn't do was login to play games for a few days. That's like the bank not being open for a few days while they sort their security out. Problem is, it does piss customers off. The bank shouldn't be hacked. Their systems should not be compromised and they should have been prepared, especially if they'd been hit before. You cannot expect the customers to be happy with the situation. They didn't cause it and they lose faith in the bank. That is not an unreasonable response.

They should be able to provide the service they advertised and the one customers are paying for. Also, any "always online" stuff gets me worried because what happens to the game you purchased when the company is hacked? Imagine not being able to open your board games without phoning the company that made it first. Then they say "sorry, you can't open the box, the company was overloaded with fake paper work. We need to sort out the mess so we can log your play times...can you wait a few days?" You'd probably be shocked, pissed off and wonder why they wouldn't have measures in place to stop this sort of thing from happening.

Yes, much of that is automated and is probably extremely quick when everything works, but when the system is down, can you blame someone for being frustrated? "Screw you board game manufacturing company! Without your consent, we cannot have fun!"