PSP Go Price Slashed in U.S. and Japan

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
While I agree that the argument of PSP games quality vs. DS games quality is subjective, when you make this statement:

You're forgetting that Nintendo pretty much lives off of remakes and 1st party. If you look at the DS' best selling games list, it's almost exclusively 1st party games. Look at the top selling PSP games and it's a decent mix of third and first party games with no remakes, and 2 ports.
Very true. I agree that Nintendo relies entirely too much on their 1st party titles.
However, I do not go by the Best Sellers chart. I look for games I want to play.

Just as an example, I liked the tactics genre. Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, hell, even that rare-as-the-true-cross Age of Empires game was good fun. You won't find those on the top sellers list though.

Irregardless, when I do find a game on PSP, I automatically have to check to see if it's 3D or not. If it is, what genre? If it involves camera controls, it's automatically going to suck.
Why? BECAUSE I CAN'T FUCKING PLAY IT WITHOUT SEVERE AGGRAVATION.

There are so many titles that fall into that category...ugh.
All Monster Hunter games. All 3D shooters. The GTA titles.

That's a great number of games I don't want to have to jump through hoops just to play.
With the DS, I think this has happened once...(Metroid Prime: Hunters. Small wonder nobody plays that game).

You can arbitrate all day long, but the fact of the matter is, there are technical limitations that hinder my ability to enjoy these titles. Limitations I have tried to adapt to, and been punished for doing so.

And you don't seem to know how a monopoly works. Cutting out retailers doesn't create a monopoly. Especially if UMDs are still being produced alongside digital releases.
Sigh...don't make me spell it out for you. I'd like to believe we are both above this.
If there is one UND PRECISELY ONE option to buy games for your system (in this case, the PSP-GO) that's a monopoly.

You can argue semantics until you're blue in the face, but Sony is the only possible legal entity to purchase PSP-GO games from, regardless if they offer those same titles to others.

Sony does not have a monopoly on game distribution for the other PSP models. I recognize that.
However, this topic was specifically about the PSP-GO (check the title if you still don't believe me).

Then clearly you aren't looking all that hard. If your trying to find games to play are are still finding yourself playing PS2 ports you may need to look a bit harder. Especially with unique games like Patchwork Heroes and Holy Badman, as well as Half Minute Hero and MGS Peace Walker.
I'll take your suggestions down then. I've played Half Minute Hero...eh. It got old quick.
Not my style.

I actually don't think the control scheme is all that bad. You don't sell 62 million of a product if you can't use it due to controls now can you? And what has the user base been complaining about with the PSP? I remember people bitching about no 2nd analog stick, but really with games like Resistance: Retribution proving that shooters can be done well with it, there's not much of a point in complaining about something that isn't needed.
You claim that those games were good...but people complained. Ok.
Here's my experience:

I borrowed Resistance: Retribution. It sucked. Why? Primarily shit camera controls.
I played Syphon Filter. It sucked for the same exact reasons (it even used virtually identical controls!).
I have MGS: Portable Ops. It's great...when the controls work (duck...punch...bah. Fuck it).

I can't even play one of my favorite game series on the PSP (Armored Core) because without L2, R2 and that second analog stick the game is nigh impossible to play. (You can't look up or down, which means you're at the mercy of the auto-track function)

Well, here in Canada the prices here actually WERE cheaper in digital form. [former Go Owning experience]. I can't speak for other regions.
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite retailed locally for 35 dollars. At this same time (last year), it was being sold online for 35 dollars.
If they printed digital receipts, I'd show you. But I don't feel like putting my credit card info up on the Internet. Trust me when I say that I got fucked.

The rest of your argument I can agree with. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that the 3DS needs something more than remakes to carry it's $250 price tag.
Yeah...the interesting part here is that handheld gaming is about 5 years behind the "real console" tech. But that's a GOOD THING, actually.

By limiting the technical capabilities of the system, they expanded design space.
Why? Because our current handhelds straddle that 2D-3D line, and it's still "acceptable" to make a game that isn't a shallow bling-fest.

Funny, isn't it?
Few would dare release a 2D game today, despite offering different technical gameplay opportunities. The only games that do so are "Cheapies" ala XBLA (or the equivalent), not titles you would buy at a store.

So, I actually want both companies to produce strong hand-held platforms more than I want traditional consoles. If only for the potential variety.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
At this point, I think the only thing the customers will accept is to put the PSP Go at or lower than the current price point for the PSP: $170. Obviously not what Sony were aiming for, but... Sony didn't deliver something worthy of more.

Also, reading back has revealed to me that Sony pulled the same pricing stunt with the launch of the PSP-1000: $249.99. That time it worked, which must have made them think they were safe.