PSP Outselling Vita in Japan

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
The 3DS was more expensive at launch, so you can cut your "most expsensive handheld" bullshit for, you know, a place where its even the tiniest bit applicable.
Maybe for the cheaper version it is a BIT below the DS launch price

DS launch price : 25.000 yen

Vita Wifi only launch price :24.980 yen
Vita 3G Launch price : 29.980 yen

So yes the 3ds was compared to the wifi only vita 20 yen more expensive (that is about $0.15)
Compared with the 3G the Vita is way more expensive. So no the 3ds was not that more expensive.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Meh it'll pick up, after seeing what it's capable of, and the PSV2000 it'll be smaller cheaper with a better battery it'll come around.

Edit: You know it's 'one of those days' when you have to edit your post for context.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
This isn't exactly surprising. It's pretty pricey and has a less than stellar launch line up. Give it time and some decent releases and things will improve. Hell, a single Monster Hunter release would probably move at least one million units on it's own.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
OutrageousEmu said:
Crono1973 said:
OutrageousEmu said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
OutrageousEmu said:
I think this reflects poorly on Japan moreso than it does on the Vita. A handheld that is brimming with western games and brand new, fresh, and creative IP's, and they prefer to play the same Mario Kart they've always played.
Of course. That's it. Blame the Japanese. How dare they not spend hundreds of dollars on a hand-held console. It's not like their economy has been struggling, thanks in part to earthquakes, tsunamis and nuclear melt-downs, and that like every other country in the world they're caught up in the turmoil of international economic uncertainty. Nope, they should damn well go out and buy the most expensive hand-held console ever made, and they should be grateful for it. After all, with the Vita, they get to experience our superior Western games, and general superiority in general? Why wouldn't they want to experience that?

/sarcasm
The 3DS was more expensive at launch, so you can cut your "most expsensive handheld" bullshit for, you know, a place where its even the tiniest bit applicable.
Crono1973 said:
I read that you have to control the UI with the touch pad. Let me repeat that, you have to control Vita's User Interface with the touch pad, the buttons will not work.
This has got to be the pettiest, most inconsequential bullshit complaint I've ever heard. How in the entirety of the universe could any organic life form have a problem with this? Unless you have a crippling debilitating fear of touchpads, there is no way this could be a problem.
I don't care for touch screens just like I don't care for motion controls. You have buttons available, why disable them in the UI?
Because said interface is on a bubble grid that would be far more of a problem for controls than just, you know, touching what you want.
You don't care much for choice do you? YOU like touch controls so you think everyone should have to use them.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
OutrageousEmu said:
Crono1973 said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Crono1973 said:
OutrageousEmu said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
OutrageousEmu said:
I think this reflects poorly on Japan moreso than it does on the Vita. A handheld that is brimming with western games and brand new, fresh, and creative IP's, and they prefer to play the same Mario Kart they've always played.
Of course. That's it. Blame the Japanese. How dare they not spend hundreds of dollars on a hand-held console. It's not like their economy has been struggling, thanks in part to earthquakes, tsunamis and nuclear melt-downs, and that like every other country in the world they're caught up in the turmoil of international economic uncertainty. Nope, they should damn well go out and buy the most expensive hand-held console ever made, and they should be grateful for it. After all, with the Vita, they get to experience our superior Western games, and general superiority in general? Why wouldn't they want to experience that?

/sarcasm
Crono1973 said:
I read that you have to control the UI with the touch pad. Let me repeat that, you have to control Vita's User Interface with the touch pad, the buttons will not work.
This has got to be the pettiest, most inconsequential bullshit complaint I've ever heard. How in the entirety of the universe could any organic life form have a problem with this? Unless you have a crippling debilitating fear of touchpads, there is no way this could be a problem.
I don't care for touch screens just like I don't care for motion controls. You have buttons available, why disable them in the UI?
Because said interface is on a bubble grid that would be far more of a problem for controls than just, you know, touching what you want.
You don't care much for choice do you? YOU like touch controls so you think everyone should have to use them.
How in the hell do you not like touch controls? What the hell do you do for a phone?
I have a phone that doesn't use touch controls, buttons work just fine. Why are you being such an ass about this? Are others not allowed to have opinions about touch controls?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Too expensive, too few games upon release, and yes, no Monster Hunter. Trust me on the last one, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite sold 1 million copies in 1 week in Japan. Once a MH game comes out for the Vita, its sales will blast off like Team Rocket

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
OutrageousEmu said:
Crono1973 said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Crono1973 said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Crono1973 said:
OutrageousEmu said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
OutrageousEmu said:

/sarcasm
Crono1973 said:
How in the hell do you not like touch controls? What the hell do you do for a phone?
I have a phone that doesn't use touch controls, buttons work just fine. Why are you being such an ass about this? Are others not allowed to have opinions about touch controls?
No, cause its baseless. If you can touch a button on the phone, why can't you touch a button on the screen?
I can touch a screen, I just prefer to keep my screens clean, is that baseless too?

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Hey I remember this happening to the ps3 for the first like 6 months to the ps2 when that came out and then it died in a fire cause of it... Oh wait no it didn't it's fine. Same can be said for probably every other previous version of a console/handheld the first few months if it comes out at that "Holiday" time.

Meh I'm sure monster hunter might also boost a bit, but most of those people already bought the system I'd wager, because they know monster hunter is coming out sooner or later, and there are some other games worth playing till then.

If anything is to blame, if it's the same thing over here, it's their marketing as in, their still isn't any. They aren't paying to put marketing up in retailers yet, Everyone's tvs aren't blasting with ad, and the only vita stuff on sites like these are that it's buggy and not selling well. Hell from working in store, even the people remotely interested in it don't know the release date. People that don't even have cellphone know when the next Iphone is about to come out, that's same people your going to be selling the vita to.

If they keep that up your going to get the same type of worldwide release as you did in japan, You'll get a big spike of people that have been waiting for this thing to come out then lackluster sales.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Release a Monster Hunter title on the Vita and sells will skyrocket.
That's what they did with the 3DS and its sales were crazy after the game came out.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Well, I don't know what to make out of this. The 3DS DID get a rocky start, but it's all smooth sailing. I honestly thought it wasn't gonna sell because if you ask me, the 3DS is just a fancy DS with pop-out graphics and one of two good, original games. But hey, they're proving me wrong.

Now, I would never buy a Vita because of the price. I mean, if I didn't buy the 3DS when it was launched, I'm not gonna buy this expensive thing. At least Nintendo learned from their errors and lowered the price.

I know the Vita has a thousand and one features and that's why it's so expensive. I mean, I think it's the right price, I guess. But still, that's a little way over my budget. Maybe most people feel the same.

That's my customer view. Bravo for all the features and stuff. But I don't think most people would afford it. if anything, I've seen more people buying PSPs over the Holidays at work, and only like one or two grown men have reserved the Vita.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
It's natural for new consoles to have a slow start. Just wait until the interesting games come out and people will eventually buy it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
A friend of mine asked me why Sony is making this console which does not support the PSP stuff. And you know what? These figures prove that they don't know either. The Vita would've sold better if it could have REPLACED the PSP and all of its functions and game support. There is no argument to this. They were hit by the Balrog of economy and did NOT pass.