Psst he is in the friend zone

MasochisticAvenger

Nov 7, 2011
Eamar said:
zelda2fanboy said:
I know it's of no importance, but I'm not what I'm like on these forums in real life. There's not much of a barrier between what's going on in my brain and what my fingers type on here. There's also a moderate degree of anonymity, so I can say whatever pops into my mind and it's of little consequence. Face-to-face however, there's about 25 years of learning how to act like a normal human being hiding that stuff.

You see, if I had never said these things out loud to strangers, it would have gone uncontested in my brain and just sat there. Then eventually it would have slipped out in one form or another, and suddenly I actually am the Biggest Douche in the Universe and not just on the internet.
I appreciate that people are more honest on the internet but... you don't think that if you ended up in a real relationship these things wouldn't come out? You can't hide these things from a serious partner.

MasochisticAvenger said:
Thank you, you said exactly what I was going to say on that. There is a huge difference between comfidence and arrogance; something z2f will need to learn.
Unfortunately confusion between the two is surprisingly common. It works both ways too- I bet most of the so-called "douchebags" people claim their female friends are dating are not actually douches at all, just confident. Some people seem unable to distinguish the two concepts.
See, I am a big believer of how you act all the time makes up what kind of person you are. You cannot simply say "how I act in real life is different to how I act on the Internet" and expect it to excuse everything you do.

That's true, but part of the whole douchebsg thing comes from the fact the "nice guy" often believes no other guy is good enough for the girl he likes.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Eamar said:
zelda2fanboy said:
I know it's of no importance, but I'm not what I'm like on these forums in real life. There's not much of a barrier between what's going on in my brain and what my fingers type on here. There's also a moderate degree of anonymity, so I can say whatever pops into my mind and it's of little consequence. Face-to-face however, there's about 25 years of learning how to act like a normal human being hiding that stuff.

You see, if I had never said these things out loud to strangers, it would have gone uncontested in my brain and just sat there. Then eventually it would have slipped out in one form or another, and suddenly I actually am the Biggest Douche in the Universe and not just on the internet.
I appreciate that people are more honest on the internet but... you don't think that if you ended up in a real relationship these things wouldn't come out? You can't hide these things from a serious partner.
Yeah, that's why I say them here. Being isolated for a really long time grows a lot of wrongheaded shit into one's brain. So when people call me an asshole in a thread, it's not going to actually destroy real life relationships, it's just going to force me to reshape my viewpoint. I really don't know what is the middle ground between "I'm a worthless sod" and "She's missing out."

Have you ever been really outright rejected repeatedly? It's painful as fuck. While I didn't go on any real life "dates" after the girl in question, I did meet a girl for a conversation at a bookstore (who correctly realized it wasn't a match and she wanted someone taller anyways) and I met a girl online and who I fell deeply in love with (I lost my virginity to her and she won't talk to me anymore). I still can't cognitively reframe the latter incident in my mind that doesn't automatically force projectile tears out of my eye sockets. I should take up acting.

But if I can make some failed relationship from months and months ago not hurt anymore by simply stating the simple fact (and it is) that she doesn't know what she turned away, where's the harm? I really don't know how she isn't missing out when I think about it. There are benefits to being my girlfriend (I imagine).

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
"Don't get me wrong, I know you're only being good./But that's what's wrong, I guess I just misunderstood."-Want you Bad-The Offspring.

I think that sums it up.

For some of us, it's easy to mistake people treating us nicely, and being kind, for flirtation or attraction. Much of the time, it isn't. At which point, you haven't been "Friend Zoned", you're just not what she's after. And it might be because she likes badboys, or handsome guys or whatever. She could be entirely shallow, and you know what? There's nothing wrong with that. People can be however they like and have no need to conform to your standards, and at the end of the day, you do not meet their criterion, and that's all, and since they've already dealt with it, all that's left is to deal with it yourself.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
Ok, let's get this straight. The friendzone DOES exist - but only in the cases of really horrid girls who are so vain and self-worshipping that no decent guy should be interested in them anyway because by 'decent' I mean they see deeper than 'pretty girl, nice body, want to bang'.

However, there is the 'not interested' zone. This is where women put guys they're not interested in - FOR LEGITIMATE REASONS. These can include looks, personality, financial problems, emotional problems or just NOT BEING ATTRACTED TO THAT PERSON.

We women don't have to date any guy who comes our way, we're usually looking for something specific that not every guy can provide, and it makes me really mad that people think girls should have low enough standards to just go out with anyone who wants to get in their pants.

I have 'friendzoned' guys when I didn't find them attractive but wanted to be their friend still, is that so bad?

Guys have frienzoned me, and I don't blame them, I don't expect everyone to find me attractive just as I don't find everyone I meet attractive.

TL;DR: If you define 'friendzoning' as teasing a guy you've just rejected with your body/statements such as 'I wish I could find a guy like you!' then yes, it's real, but only really horrible women do it.
If you define it as mentally defining someone as not being attractive to you personally then we ALL do it.

Just don't ever lump all us women as being manipulative bitches.

Johann610

Nov 20, 2009
I should have written that as "...some men cannot be friends with women...", but I let the point stand.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Eamar said:
Moderation, dude. Seriously.

True, no woman wants to date a guy who thinks he's worthless, but equally no woman wants to date a guy who thinks he's god's gift.

There's a whole world of possibilities between suicidally low self-esteem and pure, mind-numbing arrogance. I've seen you exhibit both on these forums over the last few months, but you won't get anywhere until you find the middle ground. Harsh but true.
Yeah, pretty much this.

BluebellForest said:
Ok, let's get this straight. The friendzone DOES exist - but only in the cases of really horrid girls who are so vain and self-worshipping that no decent guy should be interested in them anyway because by 'decent' I mean they see deeper than 'pretty girl, nice body, want to bang'.

However, there is the 'not interested' zone. This is where women put guys they're not interested in - FOR LEGITIMATE REASONS. These can include looks, personality, financial problems, emotional problems or just NOT BEING ATTRACTED TO THAT PERSON.

We women don't have to date any guy who comes our way, we're usually looking for something specific that not every guy can provide, and it makes me really mad that people think girls should have low enough standards to just go out with anyone who wants to get in their pants.

I have 'friendzoned' guys when I didn't find them attractive but wanted to be their friend still, is that so bad?

Guys have frienzoned me, and I don't blame them, I don't expect everyone to find me attractive just as I don't find everyone I meet attractive.

TL;DR: If you define 'friendzoning' as teasing a guy you've just rejected with your body/statements such as 'I wish I could find a guy like you!' then yes, it's real, but only really horrible women do it.
If you define it as mentally defining someone as not being attractive to you personally then we ALL do it.

Just don't ever lump all us women as being manipulative bitches.
This is all true.

However! I still think that there's a small but vocal population of guys who seem to define it as "teasing" if a woman they're attracted to is willing to associate with them at all, but doesn't "put out." (And often enough, these are the same individuals who aren't above being emotionally manipulative themselves.)

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
GeeksUtopia said:
You have ANY friends you dont want to fuck? Are they nice to you? Then you should want to fuck them. Its the only logical conclusion.

When a girl says she wants a "nice guy" she isnt saying she wants a guy whose ONLY trait is "nice". What she means is that she wants someone who has all the traits she wants. A "Nice cake" isnt a cake thats friendly. Its a good cake. See how its a different adjective?

Generally, I think being "nice" to attract a mate is overrated. "Nice" is great if you're a Disney Princess, but come on, everyone should be nice to each other. That's just standard practice for living in polite society. And just because people often aren't nice to each other doesn't mean that when you are, it somehow makes you more distinctive or desirable. I mean, it's like flossing. You really want to hang your hat on the fact that you floss, and other people don't? I mean, sure, you'll have nice teeth. But... what else?

A woman who tells her friends that, "well, he was nice" is damning you with faint praise, because it means she can't think of anything else to remember you by.

So don't settle for being "nice". Strive for "amazing", or "unforgettable", or "the greatest man I've ever met".

Yes, be respectful, generous and kind. Be nice. But also: Do the things you do well. Don't apologize when you win. Tell jokes in a crowd. Take the mic in Rock Band. Be the DM. See the world. Laugh loudly. Dance badly. Try the things that scare you. Wear a stupid hat. Share your opinions freely. Share your kindnesses even more freely. Love yourself first, and without restraint. Just burn, burn like a flame that can't go out; burn brighter and hotter than even the sun.

Fuck being a nice guy. Be a supernova instead.

Quoted for absolute truth.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
Farseer Lolotea said:
However! I still think that there's a small but vocal population of guys who seem to define it as "teasing" if a woman they're attracted to is willing to associate with them at all, but doesn't "put out." (And often enough, these are the same individuals who aren't above being emotionally manipulative themselves.)
This is very true, so just like it's only horrid girls who do the friendzoning, it's only horrid guys who complain about it and propogate it's existance.

Speaking of emotional manipulation, allow me to share my story;
I recently put a guy into the friend-only zone after I told him of my desire to have a relationship with him, at which point he decided to have sex with our mutual friend and then try to win me back the next day. Ever since he has been trying to guilt-trip me into dating him, despite what he had done having been a deal breaker for me.

I don't tease him at all, but I can imagine some idiots saying I friendzone him just because I won't go out with him, which is apparently enough to count.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
BluebellForest said:
Speaking of emotional manipulation, allow me to share my story;
I recently put a guy into the friend-only zone after I told him of my desire to have a relationship with him, at which point he decided to have sex with our mutual friend and then try to win me back the next day. Ever since he has been trying to guilt-trip me into dating him, despite what he had done having been a deal breaker for me.

I don't tease him at all, but I can imagine some idiots saying I friendzone him just because I won't go out with him, which is apparently enough to count.
Mm-hmm. Been there. Well, similar situation, anyway.

venom_steve

Jun 8, 2010
People seriously need to get over this unhealthy fixation with the "friend zone" as the longer they dwell on it the less chance they have of ever being happy.

As someone who is always told they're "such a nice guy" and has had well more than their fair share of rejection I to once held to belief that women only want bastards who treat them like crap, I mean why else would they reject a great guy that's right in front of them?

I've since accepted that this belief is bullshit and that attraction is a combination of physical appearance and personality traits with the former given greater standing. I'm physically unappealing, suffer a slight speech impediment and, probably helped by the aforementioned traits, am not terribly confident and out going. This, and not my "niceness", is why women are generally not attracted to me.

I am sure this is the same of many guys who feel they are friend zoned and if it is the case you need to accept that you are unattractive and get on with your life as women are most certainly not attracted to guys who whine about being single.

tl;dr Get the fuck over being single and enjoy your life. You're much more likely to find a compatible partner this way.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
5ilver said:
Why would you want him as a friend after he has cheated on you?
First of all: you can't "cheat on" someone with whom you were never involved in the first place. BluebellForest was talking about a so-called friend who had revenge sex with someone else in order to get back at her for turning him down (presumably under the impression that she'd get jealous).

Secondly, I said "similar situation," not "same situation."

Mar 9, 2010
Vault101 said:
GeeksUtopia said:
So women why did y'all invent the friendzone? .
cause were evil bitches involved in a global feminist conspiracy

OBVIOUSLY
Well that much was established. But what does the friend zone contribute to the plot. Tell me while I look for a way to free myself from my shackles, beat up your buff yet surprisingly attractive henchmen (henchwomen? henchwomyn?) and safely jump from the top of this building James Bond style.

Your friends don't find them attractive. People who end up in the friend zone are the guys that expect something from women in return for being that perfect gentleman women always claim to seek. Truth is that the perfect gentleman is the attractive, social guy giving her the eyes while talking to other social people.

The guys who end up in the friend zone are the guys that have no idea how to deal with women and think that their life is a puppy-dog love film from the later 90s and that being socially awkward for a bit and then finally announce their love in the cafeteria in front of everyone will work. It doesn't, all it serves is to make an unsuspecting girl feel uncomfortable and offer a token friendship.

Romance isn't dead, it just isn't an awkward £150 bunch of roses on her doorstep.

TheRealJLars

Feb 15, 2010
Words cannot begin to describe how much I've come to dislike this topic.. Oh well, cue the gong.

If you've been "friend zoned," then one of three things happened:
1.) You've done absolutely nothing to demonstrate that you're interested in her, other than being Nice*.
2.) She was interested, but you were to dense/oblivious to notice, so she gave up.
3.) You did nothing wrong or something wrong, and she just doesn't want anything more than a friendship from you.

I said Nice* with an asterisk because it's not the same as being nice. Nice Guys act like every girl they meet is a potential girlfriend. They sit there, acting as a shoulder to cry on, expecting to eventually get laid by paying it forward. That's just not cool, dude. Women aren't safes to be cracked open by being a doormat. They're people, and they like to be treated like it.

I've been friend zoned and I've friend zoned girls myself. It's ALL about confidence. I'm a fairly attractive guy, but I'm also slightly overweight and have had confidence issues. It's always better time if you're feeling more confident about yourself. If you're serious about your feelings, make it clear as day and cut your losses if she isn't interested. There are plenty more girls out there. So just go out there and have fun.

Captcha: practice makes perfect. <speaking the truth.

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
Farseer Lolotea said:
HalfTangible said:
The friendzone exists because there is such a thing as liking a person without wanting to slip your tongue down their throat. That one's easy: a place for people you like as a person, but don't like romantically. Guys do it too, though in my experience it's easier for girls to accept for some reason. There's probably an evolutionary theory for it but whatever.

In situations like the OP outlined, however, the friendzone is unbelievably frustrating because the girls in question are complaining there are no 'good guys'. People you're friends with are not bad guys, or neutral guys. They're people you like. IE, good guys. If they were BAD guys, you wouldn't be their friend. Sure, you don't want to date them, and that's fine. But complaining there are no GOOD guys makes no sense because there ARE good guys - they're just in the friend zone.
Two things to say to this:

1) Yes, it'd probably be more honest to say "why do I never end up falling for someone like you?" than to claim there's no one "good" out there. However, I don't think there's any calculation to it; it simply probably never occurs to people to put it that way.

However...

2) Your typical "friendzone complainer" would most likely take it the same way (if not worse). Remember that there are usually some uckfupped self-entitlement issues in play.
1) Yeah, i get the person's not thinking about it that way, and I have no objection to the friendzone, just trying to put it in perspective (for lack of a better phrase)

2) Possibly. But it's not entitlement to say 'there are good guys in the friendzone', which is all the person in the OP tried to say... albeit in a very frustrated, angry manner.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
GeeksUtopia said:
Yes oh my god it's another friendzone post. I was with my friends (which all my friends are women, don't know how that happened, but :D) So as I was with them, all of them were talking about how they just broke up with one douche and how the next one was a douche +1, so I am thinking, "well you get what you choose, and I see where this is going." So by the time the conversation was drawing to an end they all wondered where the hell can they find a good guy for once. Me angered by hearing this all the time finally snapped and shouted, "IN THE F***ING FRIENDZONE WHERE YA LEFT THEM TO DIE!!!" And in unison they said nah. And I asked them why not, and asked about the other guy friends they knew. Some answers I got back was that some of the other guys weren't as good looking or they were a little off, but at the same time they were their best friends. So in their defense I asked if they were always their for them, and if they were as nice to you as a true gentleman should. They all said yes. Yet they still denied them. So women why did y'all invent the friendzone? Cause as a man I would like to know the purpose, cause obviously it's not a circle of men who are potential dates.
It could also be that their male friends don't want to be in a relationship with them either. I have been best friends with a few women and I never had a romantic interest in them.

Nyaliva

euclideanInsomniac
Sep 9, 2010
Eamar said:
Nyaliva said:
There's some really rather heated discussion surrounding this every time it comes up. People who complain about the friendzone are more complaining about the girls' general attitude towards men. They ask for nice guys and yet constantly go out with guys who are clearly not nice and certainly don't seem like the guy one could have a long term relationship with, then there are this group of guys the girl has termed "friendzone" who are nice by the girl's own definition and yet they won't ever consider going out with any of them.

It's obvious that there's a difference between a girl's feelings for a friend and a boyfriend but it's confusing when they have all these perfectly good guys whom they like at least enough to be their friend, whom they know well and who know them too and are defined as being "nice" and yet they won't give any of them a second look and go for a guy who's nothing like the criteria they stated, knows nothing about her and usually doesn't care enough or stay long enough to find out. So what the OP is trying to get at (or at least should be) is that girls who constantly go out with "bad boys" (I hate that term) and then complain there are no "nice" guys should first, rethink their dating strategies and criteria and second, think about their close guy friends and think who could be a suitable partner.

And don't say looks come into it, I recently started feeling romantically for a girl I know who I wouldn't have given a second look if I didn't know her as a good friend. Seriously, it's always better to be a friend first. If you can't still be friends after being together and then breaking up then you can't call them a friend.

TL;DR Our beef isn't with the friendzone, it's with the girl's attitude to dating and what she says versus what she does. For me, it makes more sense to be a friend first, if you're true friends and things don't work out, you should still be able to be friends. If it does work out, you can be one of those smug couples that say "My partner is my best friend!"
[DISCLAIMER: any references to "you" in this post are not meant personally, but refer to the stereotypical guy in this scenario]

As other people have already said in this thread, the idea that a girl should be looking at her friends as potential partners because they're "nice" is problematic.

It's not necessarily to do with looks, but you do have to actually be attracted to a potential partner. You could be the best guy in the world, but if she's not attracted to you it ain't gonna happen. Why so many people can't get their heads around this is beyond me.

And about the douchebags thing: sure, some girls make bad decisions with regards to partners and should take a long hard look at why their going for the people they are. BUT, given the amount of attention this scenario gets on the internet you'd think a majority of women were falling into this trap. Pro-tip: they're not.

Think about it. You hear her talking about her boyfriend as a douche. Why is that? Most likely because you (as her FRIEND) are one of the people she goes to when things aren't all sunshine and roses. As in, when they've just split up or had an argument. She's exaggerating and emotional. Don't tell me you've never given anyone an unfair impression of someone else because you were pissed off at them. I know I have. And perhaps you hear more about this guy's bad points because she doesn't need your support when things are going great. She's (probably) not stupid, she's not likely going to be intentionally be chasing douchebag after douchebag.

And of course there's always the option that she's not actually dating douchebags at all. You're the one labelling them as such, and often in these cases "douchebag" just means "not like me." And of course it works both ways- you hear girls complaining about their guy friends' girlfriends being "bitches" and "not good enough for him." Whole lot of jealousy going on there.

As an aside, the whole "I wish I could find a nice guy like you" thing. Does this actually happen in real life (with the possible exception of high school), or is this just one of those hypothetical internet phenomena that's taken on a life of its own?
Very good points, all of them, and I hope people who do generalise read them and better understand their female friends. In the context of my post, I specifically meant those scenarios where the girl DOES repeatedly go out with douchebags. I know it's not common but it does happen and it's the most infuriating scenario for anyone friendzoned by that girl. I also understand that girls shouldn't look exclusively at their friends for potential partners if things generally aren't working out, but it certainly wouldn't hurt for them to give it a thought. If they really aren't and don't believe they could be attracted to any of their guy friends then they can continue dating however they wish.

So I know it's not the norm for a girl to constantly date douchebags and friendzone the nice guys they look for, but it's the most annoying scenario for a guy to be in and so gets the most press on the internet. And if it so happens to be the case THEN I believe the girl in question should be a little more aware of their dating strategies and at least consider who out of their friends they'd be interested in dating (with the exception of those who are already in relationships, obviously). After re-reading my post I realise this wasn't what most people would take away from it. Sorry! :S