Psychic Devourer Detective Comic Coming to TV

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Psychic Devourer Detective Comic Coming to TV

The people behind the television adaptation of The Walking Dead comic book are now working on Chew: A story about a psychic food detective.

Production company Circle of Confusion, which will be bringing the awesome Walking Dead zombie comic series Deadline [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99668-Walking-Dead-Television-Series-Gets-Green-Light] reports that the company plans to make Chew into a tv series, a comic about a cibopath detective named Tony Chu.

Never heard of a cibopath before? A cibopath is someone that gets a psychic impression from anything he/she eats (except for beets, in Tony's case). If a man was murdered and fell into a watermelon, Tony would be able to catch the murderer by taking a big refreshing bite. Unfortunately, his bosses often ask him to eat the remaining pieces of victims too; a somewhat less appetizing task. The book also involves a strange ban on chicken due to a supposed bird flu, with Tony enforcing the ban at the FDA. It's unique and worth reading to say the least.

Chew, written by John Layman with art by Rob Guillory, became an unexpected hit after a teaser debuted the series in an issue of The Walking Dead. The first issue sold out through multiple reprints last year. Layman is happy for his first major successful book, saying: "It only took 15 years."

I thought it was incredible to see The Walking Dead make it to television, and lesser known but well-written comics like Chew following in its lead is just a bonus. There are some great stories being told in the world of comics that don't get their due. The Chew deal appears to be in its infancy, so we'll have to wait to hear more as it gets worked out.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/circle-of-confusion-stephen-hopkins-to-develop-tv-series-based-on-comic-chew/]

Zirat

May 16, 2009
I am actually a bit into this series and it is much better than it sounds. While a tv series would get more word out about this, im not sure about it seems like the subject that would be dropped after 1 season

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
...I had never heard of this, but...that sounds pretty messed up...

Ill be sure to watch!

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I saw this in my local comic store the other day and didn't think much of it, but this article makes me interested, especially if it's of the same quality of The Walking Dead, which is now the only modern comic I still look forward to after Ultimate Spiderman and The Boys went to shit. I may have to pick this up.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
SomeBritishDude said:
I saw this in my local comic store the other day and didn't think much of it, but this article makes me interested, especially if it's of the same quality of The Walking Dead, which is now the only modern comic I still look forward to after Ultimate Spiderman and The Boys went to shit. I may have to pick this up.
I agree about The Boys... I was wondering if that was just me that lost interest.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Tom Goldman said:
SomeBritishDude said:
I agree about The Boys... I was wondering if that was just me that lost interest.
I thought the early issues were very funny. The problem is once I'm a few volumes in I need a reason beyond gross out humour to fork over £10. Garth Ennis understood that while he was writing Preacher, I'm not sure he get's it anymore.

I'm glad I pulled out when I did. I flicked though the latest issue and the humour was gone, it was just gross.

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
The comic is absolutely brilliant, but a TV series might be a mixed blessing. On one hand, added exposure for the book is good (as is the possibility of the dream casting of Ken Leung as Tony Chu), but I almost feel like the story is just fine as a comic and doesn't need adapting (granted, it's hypothetical at this point, but still).

Though, a part of me is doing a happy geek dance at the thought of Pacific Islanders on the tube screaming "FOR POYO!"

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
It's great to know there are people out there willing to give a go at this type of wacky ideas.

Tom Goldman said:
Chew, written by John Layman with art by Rob Guillory, became an unexpected hit after a teaser debuted the series in an issue of The Walking Dead. The first issue sold out through multiple reprints last year.
I thought i knew something of the plot from somewhere.

Doctor What

Jul 29, 2008
I started reading this at Borders, and now I wish that I had finished it/bought it. Darn my frugal college boy ways.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
This looks absolutely bizarre... and yet strangely good enough to see/read.

T-004

Mar 26, 2008
Hope they do a tv version of Powers.....but it's probably a pipe dream :(