Psychoanalysing piracy apologists is a waste of time

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SonOfVoorhees said:
I just wish a pirater was truthful and said "i dont want to pay for it cos i can get it for free." I would totally respect that. But no, they come up with all sorts of bullshit reasons instead.
Well, you especially won't find it here.

I love the "its copy, the original is still there" but thats rubbish, because if your copying it then you wont by the original. If 1 million people made a copy, then that is a million lost sales. Its common sense. Wow, i do wish these piraters would create something, a game, a book or a cd. I bet if everyone just made copies and he didnt sell one copy he would be the first to ***** about pirateing and copyright.
The problem with "common sense" is that neither word is accurate. It's "folk wisdom."

The thing is, it's not 1 million lost sales and you don't really know the motives behind people.

I'd also like to see anyone who failed to sell a single copy of their works due to piracy.

And for the record, I buy way more media than I should. I don't pirate. I just think this line of talk is disingenuous.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Frission said:
This post is actually a Rorschach test on pirates. Look at the OP and say what you see there.
I see a herd of beautiful ponies running free across the plains.

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
I just love how everybody is super confused and quoting everybody except for Legion (post #6) who perfectly explained what this is about. I agree with OP 100%: you should attack the arguments, not the people making them. Even if you think they're nasty pirates and you think being on the internet obliges you to call people names, it doesn't actually invalidate their arguments (no matter how stupid they actually are).

SonOfVoorhees said:
I just wish a pirater was truthful and said "i dont want to pay for it cos i can get it for free." I would totally respect that. But no, they come up with all sorts of bullshit reasons instead.
You're just assuming that there could only ever be one reason that someone would pirate a game. And when someone gives you another reason, you go "no, it's not The One Reason so it must be false", which is circular logic.

SonOfVoorhees said:
I love the "its copy, the original is still there" but thats rubbish, because if your copying it then you wont by the original.
This is not a statement you can make in general. Many people pirate a game as a kind of demo and will buy it if they like it. Of course, many people don't, which is why you shouldn't go around making blanket statements.

SonOfVoorhees said:
If 1 million people made a copy, then that is a million lost sales. Its common sense.
This is just patently false.

SonOfVoorhees said:
Wow, i do wish these piraters would create something, a game, a book or a cd. I bet if everyone just made copies and he didnt sell one copy he would be the first to ***** about pirateing and copyright.
I won't deny that people's perspectives can change based on the role or situation they are in, but I will point out that many artists are actually fine with their work being pirated because it could build a larger fanbase.