Psychological anime.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
So, I have finished Serial Experiments Lain yesterday and I loved it. And since I loved the mindfucks of Evangelion I have been wanting more psychological animes lately. So, do you have any recommendation? It doesn't really have to be similar to NGE or SLE, but if it's good please post it.

Also if you have psychological game recommendations other than Silent Hill, Scratches and possibly American McGee's Alice, fell free to post it as well.

EDIT: If you are going to post games, note that I am a PC gamer actually...
But still you can post console games for future reference to other people!

EDIT 2: I forgot one thing. If possible, please say how many episodes the anime has, thank you!

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Have you tried watching Higurashi no Naku Koro ni?
That is a rather good animé, somewhat psychological. Well, I think it is meant to be.
I'm never too sure.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
welll, there's the Death Note and Code Geass.

Or, for a more politically/intrigue-oriented with action, go for Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex 1 and 2 series.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Well steer clear of Petite Cossette. It is supposed to be Psychological Horror. But what it really is, is confusing. Half of the time you won't know what is going on. And the other half will be spent doing something else more interesting.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
SakSak said:
Saw DN and to be honest I didn't found it much psychological, and Code Geass doesn't seems to be psychological either. Any other recommendations?

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
In order to honor his life's work and as a genuine recommendation to Psychological Storys in Anime, check out the Works of Satoshi Kon:
- Perfect Blue
- Paprika
- Tokyo Godfathers
- Millenium Actress
and the TV series Paranoia Agent

Each of them has at least some kind of psychological theme (even the mostly lighthearted comedy that is Tokyo Godfathers) and it's especially big on them in Perfect Blue, Paprika and very very much Paranoia Agent.

GDW

Feb 25, 2009
"Paranoia Agent" was one of the few shows [adult swim] picked up that I followed through to the end (that wasn't alread ya space-western, thank you), but for an AMAZING piece of televised Japanese mindfuckery watch Takashi Miike's adaptation of "MPD Psycho".

It's not an anime, but it will rock your fucking socks.

MissPixxie

Mar 15, 2010
Frybird said:
In order to honor his life's work and as a genuine recommendation to Psychological Storys in Anime, check out the Works of Satoshi Kon:
- Perfect Blue
Oh! This! I had to watch it over and over to get what actually happened! It's brilliantly done!

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
masher said:
Welcome to the NHK
Actually this one seems interesting. The character looks like Lain now that I think about it.
Greyfox105 said:
That is a rather good animé, somewhat psychological. Well, I think it is meant to be.
I'm never too sure.
Been wanting to see that anime for a while now actually. I should watch it soon, how many episodes does it contain?

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
One game recommendation I can definitely make is Eternal Darkness. When the game fucks with you, they fuck you up. Silicon Knights knows whats up in that department.

Of course, Eternal Darkness is hard to find nowadays, so I suggest Alan Wake.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Khaiseri said:
SakSak said:
Saw DN and to be honest I didn't found it much psychological, and Code Geass doesn't seems to be psychological either. Any other recommendations?
Well then, define 'psychological', as I though both of those contained an acceptable amount of mindfrakkery.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Khaiseri said:
-All Hail Britannia Snip-
Greyfox105 said:
I'm never too sure.
Been wanting to see that anime for a while now actually. I should watch it soon, how many episodes does it contain?
The first season runs to a total of 26 episodes. The second season (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai) is 25 episodes. The third (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei) season is only 5 episodes.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
I'll add my support for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When they Cry), the first season is to me some of the finest psychological horror/mystery in anime. The second season drops much of the horror in favour of the mystery and its solution though [small] and Rei doesn't exist...[/small]

Other than that, Paranoia Agent and Perfect Blue would be good bids from what I've heard of them.

procyonlotor

Jun 12, 2010
Satoshi Kon's work would be good for you, but it includes mainly feature length films. I believe someone mentioned Ergo Proxy, that's good too. Then there are things like Texhnolyze and Monster. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is a must see, of course, for any anime watcher.

Code Geass stands as a shining beacon of hope in the mecha genre, but it isn't psychological, it's shounen.