Psychologists Claim Games Alter Personal Reality

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Doesn't seem that surprising to me, though I've never imagined health bars above people's heads or anything like that, personally.

I probably have gone through some similar things, but I can't remember any.

PandaPoster

Mar 28, 2011
Well this explains why i'm seeing everything in red blue yellow and black every time i see a yellow "Y" after i played Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood's Campaign

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Well yeah, of course. Crack a whip and I think it's bullets going past from Arma 2.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
A study into The Tetris Effect [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheTetrisEffect]? This is a paper is hall read and wonder why it took them so long to do.

I also apologise now to anyone who gets stuck in tvtrope-land
never got stuck i just glanced at the page and left before i could get stuck

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I wish this could happen to me, I really do, I think it could be fun. It would definitely make life more interesting.

Jammy2003

Feb 28, 2011
Looking at buildings etc. and seeing if I could/how best to approach climbing them? Sure, too much Assassin's Creed and Prototype... But as someone said earlier, happens in all media from books to films to games.

Shadie777

Feb 1, 2011
That is obviously the reason why I imagined the B&B appearing on the streets once.
Damnit MGS4, why did you have to make them so insane?
Every time I see a crow now I always expect to hear the sound of "RAGE"!

On a serious note, this happens in all forms of media. Nothing new.

Edit:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
A study into The Tetris Effect [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheTetrisEffect]? This is a paper is hall read and wonder why it took them so long to do.

I also apologise now to anyone who gets stuck in tvtrope-land
Thanks, because of you I am now stuck.
On the positive side, I have been finding a lot of funny examples of the Tetris Effect, you are forgiven.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
What is so sad about this article is that I have experienced this before... but not for a very long time. I want to be able to get so in to a game that it makes me think about it later. I think the last game that really felt that way was oblivion.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
This is news? People have been talking about seeing blocks and looking for their light gem for years.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm more susceptible to the movie version of this phenomena. You know how, when you go out to see a movie, as you exit the theater you may feel like you too are Thor or, Jack Sparrow or, whoever.

Lissa-QUON

Jun 22, 2009
Interesting article.

I've had moments when that sort of thing happens. Never saw health bars or anything like that. I still pack cars, grocery carts and such like it was a tetris game. Though that at least has useful applications.

My Thief binge playing led to me for a while wandering around my house sticking to the points with the best shadow cover and trying my best not to make a damn sound. That was just weird and silly.

But honestly this happens in all media; read Dune, start treating water like its precious, watch Doctor Who start avoiding folks with blue tooth head sets. This isn't just a video game thing.

BigCat91

May 26, 2008
42 swedes...Wow that sure is large representation of the gaming community. Might as well take 40 Germans while we are at it, and see how anti Semitic the world is. (Sorry Germany)

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
I can see this. About 4 years or so back, during my stint playing WoW, I was sitting in work and was about to head to the canteen when I was a little surprised to find myself wondering whether I should summon my voidwalker for the journey, just in case.

More recently, after playing Mirrors Edge a bit, I was on the roof car park of the local shopping centre and happened to see one of those roof vents that you often ran along in ME, couldn't help but imagine myself vaulting over it while free runnign my way away from some armed cops.

Same with Portal. Often checking for portal surfaces, especially if there are a lot of plain white surfaces around. I can't say I've gone as far as actually seeing health bars though. That's a bit freaky.

Dindril

Jan 16, 2009
I can sort of understand this. Games aren't the only think that tend to temporarily effect the way you think, but due to it engaging a lot more of our senses/mind than any other entertainment medium, it makes sense that more would bleed over. But, I can read a book for a few hours, and by the time I'm done, for the next hour or so, my thoughts will follow the writing patterns of the book.
I think it has to do with how we adapt to allow ourselves to process the information the best we can, and afterwords, we have to adapt back.

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
I know right when I was playing hide and seek with my friends and one found me i broke his neck and kept picking up and dropping his body for ammo.

J/K of course I have intentionally played around when I was younger, but never have experienced this in all of my years of gaming. I would be totally down for it though 8P

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
But I've done this since forever. Why is this just now getting out?

I thought we all knew this already.

It's why I see ME2 style interrupts in daily life or why I swore I saw Appa in the clouds once.

hypovolemia

Mar 25, 2011
This study sounds pretty interesting. On a related note, when I walk quickly through a crowd I pretend I'm in a Shmup. It's quite a bit more fun that way and although I can't shoot or bomb I've never been hit. And when spotting a plane in the sky I sometimes get the urge to shoot it down with a rocket launcher. Stupid CoD. Or looking for portal-able surfaces.

Also, I wish personal realities would give you weird super powers, like manipulating vectors. Whoever gets this reference has my permission to eat a cookie.

Jason Danger Keyes

Mar 4, 2009
I used to envision a running dude when I was looking out the window on long car trips, he'd be jumping over cars and grinding telephone poles and such, is that the same idea?

Mar 5, 2011
This happened to me when I first played Half-Life 2. I played for 5 hours straight and then I saw the game when ever I closed my eyes.