PUBG devs threaten "action" against Fortnite Battle Royale

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Well y'know, if you're trying to get 100 million players, you gotta knock off all the other competition. Can't have them stealing your players.

Kinda glad I never picked this up, devs seem more and more like money-hungry assholes. As if Fortnite, a Zombie Survival game is making THAT MUCH of a copy of your game.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Leg End said:
Laggyteabag said:
- First they banned a streamer for teamkilling his friend on stream
They fookin what?
- Then they started banning players for killing streamers, because they may have been stream sniping
I still remember the responses from anyone with sense: If you broadcast intel, expect it to be used.
Here is Bluehole banning a streamer for teamkilling his friend on stream: http://www.pcgamer.com/playerunknown-bans-popular-pubg-streamer-warns-that-words-have-consequences/

Here is Bluehole banning alleged Stream Snipers: https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/30/16059138/playerunknowns-battlegrounds-stream-sniping-ban

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Bluehole Studios doesn't seem to know how to handle having a legitimate breakout hit. (I wouldn't say that TERA counts in that field.) Battlegrounds basically iterated on DayZ's "King of the Kill", but now the publisher is acting as though it pioneered the genre.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
JemothSkarii said:
As if Fortnite, a Zombie Survival game is making THAT MUCH of a copy of your game.
It really is.

It brings a few of it's own features like breaking stuff for resources and building structures and I don't think it warrants legal action, but let's not pretend the Fortnite mode is anything other than an opportunistic rip-off.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Zhukov said:
JemothSkarii said:
As if Fortnite, a Zombie Survival game is making THAT MUCH of a copy of your game.
It really is.

It brings a few of it's own features like breaking stuff for resources and building structures and I don't think it warrants legal action, but let's not pretend the Fortnite mode is anything other than an opportunistic rip-off.
But isn't BR games just the same deathmatch type mode in every shooter since ever? Just because someone renamed it and added more players to it doesn't change the fact it is just "deathmatch" with 100 players instead of 4-64

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Zhukov said:
JemothSkarii said:
It really is.

You could make this same argument about PUBG and dozens of other games that came before it.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
squid5580 said:
Zhukov said:
JemothSkarii said:
It really is.

But isn't BR games just the same deathmatch type mode in every shooter since ever? Just because someone renamed it and added more players to it doesn't change the fact it is just "deathmatch" with 100 players instead of 4-64
Not really, your main goal is to be the last survivor, not to rack kills. Then there are other aspects like looting and the death circle.

JemothSkarii said:
Well y'know, if you're trying to get 100 million players, you gotta knock off all the other competition. Can't have them stealing your players.

Kinda glad I never picked this up, devs seem more and more like money-hungry assholes. As if Fortnite, a Zombie Survival game is making THAT MUCH of a copy of your game.
Fortnite has 2 different game modes now, a zombie survival mode and a battle royale mode.

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
Wasn't Epic making Fortnite long before PUBG existed? I pretty distinctly remember seeing ads for it years ago.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Gibbagobba said:
Wasn't Epic making Fortnite long before PUBG existed? I pretty distinctly remember seeing ads for it years ago.
Fortnite was announced back in 2012 but it was never meant to have a battle royale mode, it's obvious that they're trying to cash in on the recent BR craze, not that there's anything wrong with that.
RobertEHouse said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
You can't copyright a game mode concept, that's like Rockstar suing Deep Silver for Saints Row just because it's a open world sandbox.
That is something developers forget when they start work on a project, that a concept can not be copyrighted. In this case i think Bluehole leads are not the brightest individuals around,for doing this.If you look at the mechanisms implemented in their own game all of them have been used before just refined. Even the very concept, which they now think was stolen was not able to be copyrighted by law.

They have also decided to play their own stupidity off against Epic, whom are known to counter sue if taken to court in the past. It's like holding a banana in front of a gorilla and teasing it, while still being in the cage with it.
It's pretty stupid aye, especially since they're using EPIC's own game engine for their game.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Avnger said:
You could make this same argument about PUBG and dozens of other games that came before it.
I know. I'm not here to champion PUBG. Like I said earlier, games have been shamelessly imitating each other for decades. I'm sure PUBG is no different in that regard.

Let's just not be having any illusions about where Epic got the idea for their new game mode from. That's all I'm saying.

squid5580 said:
Not quite.

It has a few quirks of its own. You start off completely unarmed, besides your fists. You enter the match by parachuting in from a plane that flies across the map at the start and each player chooses when to exit the plane. The map starts out huge but the available play area shrinks throughout the match by way of a contracting circle that damages anyone outside it.

And Epic copied every one of them.

Now, those conventions may all have been ripped off from elsewhere by PUBG. I don't know. But we all know exactly where Epic got the idea from.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
PUBG is scared of anyone fucking with their genre because quite frankly they've made a game that....well it isn't very good. I mean the mode itself is good, and the game is fun enough that it is currently rivaling Counter-Strike and Dota in concurrent players, but the system in which the game is built on....just isn't very good.

Any other developer with a decent pocket book of funding behind them, can make a Battle Royal mode that would look better, play better, feel better, and just be better, if they want. Judging by the sheer success of PUBG, it should be obvious that the big publishers will be looking into doing a mode like this and that scares the shit out of PUBG.

Trying to copyright a game mode is just dumb, look at League and Dota, look at any number of FPS games. That's like trying to copyright Team Deathmatch. Are you retarded PUBG? You must be...oh wait, you are just scared because your game is shit and has built a success story by capitalizing on a really really good game mode.

Enjoy your short term moment in the spotlight PUBG, because someone is going to coming along rather quickly to do exactly what you do....only better.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
You can't copyright a game mode concept, that's like Rockstar suing Deep Silver for Saints Row just because it's a open world sandbox.
That was my first thought, there are so many games that are literal GTA clones, so many that 'GTA' clone is its own freaking genre. If Rockstar hasn't sued anyone (which to my knowledge they haven't) then I can't see PUBG getting away with it

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
CritialGaming said:
PUBG is scared of anyone fucking with their genre because quite frankly they've made a game that....well it isn't very good. I mean the mode itself is good, and the game is fun enough that it is currently rivaling Counter-Strike and Dota in concurrent players, but the system in which the game is built on....just isn't very good.

Any other developer with a decent pocket book of funding behind them, can make a Battle Royal mode that would look better, play better, feel better, and just be better, if they want. Judging by the sheer success of PUBG, it should be obvious that the big publishers will be looking into doing a mode like this and that scares the shit out of PUBG.

Trying to copyright a game mode is just dumb, look at League and Dota, look at any number of FPS games. That's like trying to copyright Team Deathmatch. Are you retarded PUBG? You must be...oh wait, you are just scared because your game is shit and has built a success story by capitalizing on a really really good game mode.

Enjoy your short term moment in the spotlight PUBG, because someone is going to coming along rather quickly to do exactly what you do....only better.
I'd like to add that this is karma towards PUBG. "Hey, let's ban anyone who kills a twitch streamer because they must be cheating. Wo cares if they weren't. Twitch streamers are more important than any other customer."

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
I read what they actually said, and actually... they may have a point.
It's about a company that they're paying money to, using their product, to push a competing one.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
CritialGaming said:
While I agree with your point, I wouldn't be certain of it happening.

I remember thinking the same thing about Day Z. It was wildly successful despite being a shit execution of a cool idea. Any halfway competent developer/publisher could have done it better, but some reason none of them ever did.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Zhukov said:
CritialGaming said:

I remember thinking the same thing about Day Z. It was wildly successful despite being a shit execution of a cool idea. Any halfway competent developer/publisher could have done it better, but some reason none of them ever did.
Exactly what I've been saying for years, even though I loved DayZ back when it only was a mod, it was so badly made. Even if there were many who copied DayZ's design, they all turned out to be indie, early access shovelware. I always found it weird that no big AAA developer took the time to make a proper DayZ-esque game.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Zhukov said:
CritialGaming said:

Probably due to the controversy around Day Z. There were already a bunch of knock-offs trying to come out and even straight rip-offs that were coming around with that game. This probably kept bigger developers away from it. I also think that PUBG is just the next evolution of that style of game. And clearly with the playerbase that it has now, PUBG certainly struck some kind of gold. And that gold is not something a big developer can resist.

Remember when League of Legends exploded, Valve got into a tussy fight with Blizzard for who had the rights to make DOTA2? Ultimately Valve won and Blizzard went on to make it's own Dota-like. Now how many big MOBA's are there, hell LoL started the MOBA-genre. PUBG is in a similar boat here. This is the start of the Battle Royal genre and there are going to be games that come out that will use the formula and even play with it a bit.

Frankly it isn't even a hard mode to put together. I mean a big open map, random pick-ups everywhere, some vehicles, and free-for-all killy killy bang bang. Easy. GTA is doing it. Fortnite is doing it. And someone, somewhere is probably going to make something that outshines what is basically an INDIE game at this point.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
CritialGaming said:
Frankly it isn't even a hard mode to put together. I mean a big open map, random pick-ups everywhere, some vehicles, and free-for-all killy killy bang bang. Easy. GTA is doing it. Fortnite is doing it. And someone, somewhere is probably going to make something that outshines what is basically an INDIE game at this point.
Yeah, I remember saying that PUBG could literally just be a Battlefield mod. Just scatter the weapons (I think you can already pick up dead guys dropped guns in BF) and take out the spawning in with stuff. Add closing forcefields in, and you've got 64 person battle royal.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Seth Carter said:
CritialGaming said:
Yeah, I remember saying that PUBG could literally just be a Battlefield mod. Just scatter the weapons (I think you can already pick up dead guys dropped guns in BF) and take out the spawning in with stuff. Add closing forcefields in, and you've got 64 person battle royal.
Which is probably what has this developer so scared. I mean look they made a successful hit off a mode that any popular FPS game could do 100X better. Call of Duty and Battlefield probably never bothered to allow a multiplayer game with that many people. But now that it is clearly a popular thing, every major FPS will have these modes by next year easily. Thus effectively ruining PUBG's thing unless they manage to pull a Counter-Strike and keep their audience somehow.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
CritialGaming said:
Seth Carter said:
CritialGaming said:
Which is probably what has this developer so scared. I mean look they made a successful hit off a mode that any popular FPS game could do 100X better. Call of Duty and Battlefield probably never bothered to allow a multiplayer game with that many people. But now that it is clearly a popular thing, every major FPS will have these modes by next year easily. Thus effectively ruining PUBG's thing unless they manage to pull a Counter-Strike and keep their audience somehow.
Battlefields had 64 players in a match for a while now (on PC, I think last gen consoles had 32). I think it was earlier in this thread (though may have been on discussion elsewhere) it came up that Bluehole was saying they'd had to work out the tech for 100 player matches with Epic, and now were saying Epic took that work and used it for their own game. Which seems kind of nonsense, because while BF or GTA's 64 isn't 100, clearly the massive players in one map has been done (Also, Ark 6 months ago or so added 100 player servers (though its the mode that disallows dino use. And that straight up runs on the same Unreal Engine)